monkiboy's 265g build thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess all that wave action was distracting. Digging your progress Sir. If you get tired of the power heads LMK. I will use them in the garage in the 135 gallon frag tank I am setting up.

Lol I thought that was the heaters cord...ohhhh welllll

Yeah I would prefer cordless, but then you can't move the head around :(

always a problem, isn't it?

I guess all that wave action was distracting. Digging your progress Sir. If you get tired of the power heads LMK. I will use them in the garage in the 135 gallon frag tank I am setting up.

for the price, they are great and will find a use in one my tanks or for mixing or tinkering around with to get to work with the apex. 135g frag tank sounds delightful!

i have no idea how if not in the carib-sea "live" sand or maybe some freak water splash accident while working on the other sump of the existing clown/nem tank and it landed in the 265?!

ff35f99e-d2a0-4bf1-8442-4502927eb0e6_zps

Edited by monkiboy

i have no idea how if not in the carib-sea "live" sand or maybe some freak water splash accident while working on the other sump of the existing clown/nem tank and it landed in the 265?!

It's like the Star Trek Genesis project.

Neat. Since it probably fed at least in part on bacteria, maybe it was in the bag of live sand? We normally don't think of there being much macro-life in those bags, but you may have just shown that there can be.

It's like the Star Trek Genesis project.

huh2.gif...gonna look that one up, haha.

Neat. Since it probably fed at least in part on bacteria, maybe it was in the bag of live sand? We normally don't think of there being much macro-life in those bags, but you may have just shown that there can be.

i've been using the carib-sea stuff for a while and this is my first time seeing any actual life in a bag, if so. pretty neat indeed but i think maybe it hitchhiked on my hand or in a jug or something while working on the other tank perhaps. who knows...

Keep an eye on that guy.  He's a survivor.

haha, i'll try!

why dont you box in the tank a little with some trim and then you could hid the cords behind that easily

Looks really good man, congrats on the first "addition"

i think i follow but am confused. i have a 4" case-moulding around the outside edge already. that does little for covering cords unless your right in front of the powerhead looking perfectly straight. did you mean something else? and thanks for the feedback, thanks for reading along!

for my 156 im goign to end up covering about 3-4 inches of each side most likely with some form of trim, i didnt notice the case molding till after i posted.

but basically i was saying have the molding cover the side of the tank slightly and it COULD hide a cord but the powerhead woudl have to be fairly close to the front pane which isnt the best look usually.

ive seen other tanks that have a good 6-8 in covered and they can hide full powerheads on the side (but can be seen from behind the wall and only if you have your face on the glass) and i liked the look, granted they were 8 foot tanks so your not really killing that much viewing

yeah ok, i hear yea. especially if the powerhead is closer to the front i could see that working. but that only works when you're right in front it. what about when you're in the center or looking from more than two feet away or the powerhead is mounted in the more likely areas (on the back, deeper on the sides, etc) then it's cords, cords, cords all over the place. and i plan to have six to eight powerheads so it'd get kind of messy looking. again, maybe once corals are in and with some strategic placing behind rockwork it wouldn't be so bad but for now i'll leave the jebao powerheads outside the display tank.

i need to catch up on your build as well and make it over to check it out, too. is your bean still operating well and without any restart issues? i was pleasantly surprised by how simple it was. it took me maybe 15 minutes to tune and now there is such a wide working range with the 1.5" open channel that flow could slow down or increase a decent amount and it still operates perfectly slightly. i used your and steve's design and photos for inspiration during mine so thanks to both of you for posting up about them. i'm really glad i went this way instead of the herbie which i've done a lot of in past years. ;

Can't wait to get my dc12000... I bet the 20000 will be a freaking beast!

aquariumspecialty has them in stock and shipping now - go get one and get that water moving!

Are there flow curves for the DC20000 anywhere?

negative. if H20's performance thus far is indicative of anything, i won't have a dc2000 until next spring. they are just now stocking dc12000s and getting the new controller ready that was marketed as being a feature of the gen2 pumps not a separate upgrade cost. the RO dc10500 barely puts 100gph at my upstairs tank and i don't want an external, so i'm running out of options and the dc20000 should fit the bill.

think of any other submersible pumps that would do 700-1200+gph at 16' of head?

how quiet are the reeflos, really? last time i heard a dart and barracuda it was fairly loud. my panworld's are pretty quiet and i might need to run those and destroy my dream of DC pump quiet heaven. i don't know.