Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blue reef chomis are cool, and as what i researched are a schooling fish

Fun fact! They are actually "shoaling" fish, learned that the other day. That is why I added them to my aquarium, thanks for noticing!

Are you happy with the overflow? I have heard very mixed reviews on deep blues over flow setups.

Thinking about getting this tank after my wedding in September. But leaning towards the non reef ready and drilling it myself.

The overflow is very large compared to other manufacturers...I have an older one and all the glass is tempered. Their website says it's not, so they may have changed something between then and now.

Are you happy with the overflow? I have heard very mixed reviews on deep blues over flow setups.

Thinking about getting this tank after my wedding in September. But leaning towards the non reef ready and drilling it myself.

The overflow is large, like John mentioned. I was looking for something reef ready, and planned my rock work around it. It's challenging in some senses, but super easy in some others.

Time for an update. Dr. Mac's clam is doing much better, really opening up during the day. Haven't had a lot of time to "watch" my reef, so things are just on auto except water changes. Everything is doing great, but I've noticed a small outbreak of bubble algae on some of my smaller pieces. I picked up some pacific algae demolishing turbos from Dr. Mac's as well, and boy are they doing their job! I've got several different types of macro algae growing in the tank, and although it's pretty, I worry about it taking over my tank. My orange spot tang grazes all over my rocks and crushed coral, but only once touched the hair algae, I doubt it will touch the others. I've heard a foxface eats most algae?

I also have a piece of frogspawn that was doing amazingly well, which has become pretty recoiled. I have tried blowing it with a turkey baster, which spruces it up a bit, but today I noticed a tube worm that was attached to it, comes out long white and stringy, and I wonder if that has something to do with it? The casing is really hard, and I tried to get a picture of what looked like "silk" coming out of it, but had trouble. Any idea if this is part of the problem? (Pic below)

The only other issue I'm having is the new turbos pretty much bulldoze everything on the sandbed, like all my zoas.

In other recent news, I nabbed our old firebox from work (had my fire panel replaced) and I plan on putting all the electrical in there and waterproofing it. Should be a good addition!

As always, FTS:

DSC_0350_zpsad3978f2.jpg

DSC_0360_zps08943d50.jpg

DSC_0361_zps5e43670f.jpg

This is the frogspawn and the "silk"

DSC_0357_zpsca1331f6.jpg

Hellloooo clam!

DSC_0354_zpsa5564722.jpg

New Rastas:

DSC_0351_zpse9ed86e3.jpg

nice pics - how often do you find yourself cleaning that foam cover to the mp40? i've been solely dependent on my return for flow in my nem & clown tank and was thinking of going back to putting in an mp10 in there for some additional flow but didn't know if i would be cleaning the darn thing once a week or more like three. thanks for the update!

nice pics - how often do you find yourself cleaning that foam cover to the mp40? i've been solely dependent on my return for flow in my nem & clown tank and was thinking of going back to putting in an mp10 in there for some additional flow but didn't know if i would be cleaning the darn thing once a week or more like three. thanks for the update!

Thanks Marco! I clean it once every two weeks. I feed heavy. My corals and fish don't mind, and I have a whopping CUC, which I plan to keep expanding so I can continue to feed heavy. The nems love it, and the only one that's moved was a clone, which I'm a little nervous about, because it just happened this evening. I have been stirring things about though, so maybe it will go back? I plan on borrowing a tripod from a friend and seeing if I can capture some great photos, will have to give the glass a good scrub first.

When I had anemones, I target fed them; I also try to target feed my SPS, my clam and the softies.

I don't really believe in heavy feeding; it has never worked for me and caused all kinds of algae problems. All these years that I have been in this hobby, I have heard both sides of the argument; so I say go with your gut and do what works for your tank.

Have you considered vodka dosing? If done correctly, carbon dosing is awesome IMHO. You can find my regimen on the 9th page of my tank thread.

Tagging along...

Lookin good!

Thanks!

When I had anemones, I target fed them; I also try to target feed my SPS, my clam and the softies.

I don't really believe in heavy feeding; it has never worked for me and caused all kinds of algae problems. All these years that I have been in this hobby, I have heard both sides of the argument; so I say go with your gut and do what works for your tank.

Have you considered vodka dosing? If done correctly, carbon dosing is awesome IMHO. You can find my regimen on the 9th page of my tank thread.

Tagging along...

I do target feed my nems and they love it. I firmly believe that's why they have yet to move, but who knows. I actually target feed all my sps and clam and softies as well. By heavy feed, this is what I mean, I spot feed most everything in the tank, sans fish, who get their own one way or another. I see everything getting eaten, but that doesn't mean it is. It's been great for growth all around though, and everything seems to be exceptionally happy.

Vodka dosing I have never considered. I have been looking into carbon dosing recently, but I really like the fact that everything in my tank thus far is simply kept alive and thriving well with basic equipment (skimmers, heater, pumps, etc) and consistent water changes. I have, however, come very far very quickly, so I can't speak to this as rock hard testimony.

Thanks for tagging along!

Things are looking good!!

The "worm" thing with a silk strand is a vermetid snail. Their "nets" can irritate coral. If you can, get the frogspawn out and break the tube off at the base, or you can stick a needle down into the tube to kill the snail if you can.

Things are looking good!!

The "worm" thing with a silk strand is a vermetid snail. Their "nets" can irritate coral. If you can, get the frogspawn out and break the tube off at the base, or you can stick a needle down into the tube to kill the snail if you can.

Thanks Marc! I think I can probably break it on the base. Will check it out tomorrow.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I used to target feed everything.....after the tank matures enough you really shouldnt have to do that though...its nice once in a while but i never really saw that much of a difference cept when the tank was new.

granted nems i would give a silverside once and a while too but thats about it.

Clam looks great as does the rest of the tank.

for the bubble algea just suck it out with water changes...as things stabilize it generally goes away with a nice clean tank (at least it did for me...then when i get busy/lazy it will grow again)....ive seen some rabbits and fox faces go to TOWN on some bubble algea...made me almost get a fox face at one point.

EMERGENCY>>>Rasta's look like they are dying you need to give them to me... :ph34r:

Tank is looking great!!

Thanks!

I used to target feed everything.....after the tank matures enough you really shouldnt have to do that though...its nice once in a while but i never really saw that much of a difference cept when the tank was new.

granted nems i would give a silverside once and a while too but thats about it.

Clam looks great as does the rest of the tank.

for the bubble algea just suck it out with water changes...as things stabilize it generally goes away with a nice clean tank (at least it did for me...then when i get busy/lazy it will grow again)....ive seen some rabbits and fox faces go to TOWN on some bubble algea...made me almost get a fox face at one point.

EMERGENCY>>>Rasta's look like they are dying you need to give them to me... :ph34r:

I have to constantly remind myself that my tank is still young. It feels like forever. I notice the nems love some Jans food, as well as my golden torch (that has tripled in size, the thing is huge.) I would have a fox face, cept' for the size, if not just to take care of the algae and get fat before I pass it onto somebody else.

As for the Rastas, I don't think they're dying, it's just a blurry photo ;)

Zoas are doing really well in my tank, I have never fragged anything before, I'm looking into getting a kit and filling a frag rack up, start sharing the love around.

i know they are not dying i was just trying to grab em

dont worry about the full frag kits, just get some bone cutters, gloves, glue, and a razor blade...no need to spend a ton of money on a "fragging Kit"....especially when you only end up using 2 or 3 of things

just syphon the bubble algea out...people say if you burst it, then it spreads but then go on to say emrald crabs eat it.....HOW DO THE EMRALD CRABS EAT IT WITHOUT BREAKING THE BUBBLES????

dont worry about the full frag kits, just get some bone cutters, gloves, glue, and a razor blade...no need to spend a ton of money on a "fragging Kit"....especially when you only end up using 2 or 3 of things

just syphon the bubble algea out...people say if you burst it, then it spreads but then go on to say emrald crabs eat it.....HOW DO THE EMRALD CRABS EAT IT WITHOUT BREAKING THE BUBBLES????

Seriously? I always burst mine before i scrape them off the rocks. I very much dislike the bubble algae. It is just ugh ugly!

Seriously you see it all the time, people say you cant/be careful not to pop it or it will spread/is full of spores etc......i dont buy that for a min.

i cant stand bubble algea either and i either syphon it or remove and scrub...

You have done a fantastic job! I am sure bursting them spreads the spores or whatever but it just feels good like undersea bubble wrap

Isaac I sent you some green,red and purple algae and a clip...so you can see which ones the fish like. Mine will only eat purple no matter how I trick them....so I can always send you some extra packages if yours like them :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Haha, yeah, I know, I was just trying to be funny back!

Great advice, I actually have a couple scapels (sp?) and razor blades. I'll probably try fragging some of the ones I won't mind missing should anything go wrong. I'm interested in starting a little frag tank... uh oooooh.

Seriously? I always burst mine before i scrape them off the rocks. I very much dislike the bubble algae. It is just ugh ugly!

Seriously you see it all the time, people say you cant/be careful not to pop it or it will spread/is full of spores etc......i dont buy that for a min.

i cant stand bubble algea either and i either syphon it or remove and scrub...

It's not terrible, I think a quick scrub out of the tank in some saltwater would take care of it. I need to get my clam scrubbed up anyways.

You have done a fantastic job! I am sure bursting them spreads the spores or whatever but it just feels good like undersea bubble wrap

Isaac I sent you some green,red and purple algae and a clip...so you can see which ones the fish like. Mine will only eat purple no matter how I trick them....so I can always send you some extra packages if yours like them :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Jenn! It's my baby and a bit, so I appreciate everybody's encouraging words. I look forward to seeing if this mysterious tang will go for all 3? I've got an algae blenny that she's not fond of, and he eats everything, little piggy. He'll probably love everything. I also ordered "The Coral Reef Aquarium: From Inception To Completion" by Tony Vargas, as well as "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyist." Those will both be here tomorrow, so I look forward to some reading!

So I did a water change tonight... and a water test for the first time in a while...

Ph 8.2

Ammonia 0

Nitrates 20ppm

Calcium 480

Alk 10

Phosphates 0

There was a pretty general range for the alkalinity in my test kit... what should I be looking at... I feel 10 is high?

Also, messed around with a micro lens I borrowed from a friend. While not all shots are stellar (I'm still honing my photo skills) they are completely raw and untouched.

DSC_0512_zps50d52ecf.jpg

DSC_0508_zpsbf1a0992.jpg

DSC_0506_zpscfdbb672.jpg

DSC_0505_zpsd0e39a88.jpg

DSC_0481_zps6fd7ed5f.jpg

DSC_0479_zps74bc0a2d.jpg

DSC_0478_zps2f20372e.jpg

THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING! FEAST!

DSC_0468_zps5dd82ec2.jpg

She's coloring up nicely:

DSC_0465_zps5cf01e2c.jpg

DSC_0445_zps652e83f7.jpg

DSC_0421_zpse59a7f58.jpg

DSC_0402_zps70f9be84.jpg

So I feel like my tank is stuffed to the brim. I need to do a little aquascaping. It's finally happened. Even if I purchased more things, I'm going to have a tough time finding a spot for them! I have my reef growers LEDS on the way, and another 29 nano. My Fiance has begged and pleaded with me to slow down, and I'd like to see that through, so it's probably for the best :)

So Jan, who recently broke down most of her tank, sold some fish and corals my way. It's a bit sentimental, as she lives right around the corner from my folks, and I had known about her foods way before I even joined WAMAS. To say the least, Jans tank was one of the first I saw in this area, and was an inspiration to the start of my road of addiction. Needless to say, I'm honored to have parts of her reef as she continues on her journey!

+3 Lemon Chromis (a mated trio)

You'll notice in the pictures that the male is black striped, that's because they're still adjusting to the tang, who is quite the bully. Originally the algae blenny got all the flack, but these 3 new lemon chromis are chased on random. I'm wondering if it's the order everything was put into the tank, as the tang hasn't bothered any of the other fish? They stayed in the back of the rockwork for about 24 hours, but now all 3 have found their way out and around the tank, staring at me with their yellow mouths.

+1 Black and White Chromis. Location, back left rock. I hope it will find it's way out, but it's been 2 days.

+1 huge open brain wedged inbetween my clam, my nems, and my fiji yellow. I think I'm going to need to clear some more room for it.

DSC_0491_zps96860bd8.jpg

DSC_0482_zpsa7802150.jpg

also picked up this guy about 2 months ago, eating frozen (LOVES Jans) very active, as also loves pods. If you are interested in my feeding techniques, let me know.

DSC_0480_zps1ea42c55.jpg

DSC_0476_zpsd0785db6.jpg

DSC_0501_zps2ccc95bc.jpg

DSC_0502_zps39dd521b.jpg

DSC_0509_zpsdb7a4718.jpg

DSC_0510_zps6c2cdc2c.jpg

DSC_0527_zpsa07a5489.jpg

DSC_0532_zpse190566f.jpg

DSC_0541_zpsa866c9f3.jpg

The new boss:

DSC_0531_zpsf7f6d15e.jpg

Very nice! But...."reef growers"? lol. First reefbuilders and now reef growers? What you're buying is evergrow (or reefbreeders). You always not know what you're buying? :laugh: Just teasing!

Very nice! But...."reef growers"? lol. First reefbuilders and now reef growers? What you're buying is evergrow (or reefbreeders). You always not know what you're buying? :laugh: Just teasing!

Man, just to many reef growers builders and evers just growing. I'm just going to call it LEDs in general :tongue: