Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

What kind of skimmer is it..?

Look into some of the cardinals, they do great in groups and there is a nice variety readily available today. Also there are a variety of chromis as well.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of the cardinals like the glass will 'school'....

Youve got a fair amount of space but i wouldnt do but maybe one small tang if you decide you MUST have one...

I don't think I need a Tang, I just really like them! I can always wait. Even if they are small, I think a schooling group would look way nicer with my space than a few "large" fish. I don't really know that much about saltwater fish though, maybe I should take a walk through Quantum, any excuse.

What kind of skimmer is it..?

Look into some of the cardinals, they do great in groups and there is a nice variety readily available today. Also there are a variety of chromis as well.

A coral life 165 protein skimmer

I like the chromis better I think! Overall, their colors seems to be brighter.

A coral life 165 protein skimmer :sad:

+1 not to good!

Either way, can't use it, no cap.

So I did a 10 gallon water change 2 days ago, and my nitrates are down just a bit, and ammonia is at 0. I think I'm ready to start transferring.

DSC_0274_zpsd2184613.jpg

I can't believe my LPS is the same. It's more vibrant already, the colors are popping, my golden torch actually LOOKS golden. Couple pics. Still transfering over, will finish up tomorrow. When I do the clowns, I'm just going to drip acclimate for about an hour, this should be fine, right?

DSC_0269_zps5632f3c1.jpg

DSC_0270_zpsacc77cf6.jpg

DSC_0271_zpsb0c73284.jpg

DSC_0272_zpsdfa06aa4.jpg

DSC_0273_zpsb1207ca0.jpg

DSC_0274_zps26289ae8.jpg

DSC_0275_zps685b5444.jpg

DSC_0276_zps01f4475a.jpg

DSC_0280_zps0da1a43e.jpg

Put the Zoas down low and the GSP on back glass with good flow, and your rear glass will be covered in no time. Also easy to remove to frag

Put the Zoas down low and the GSP on back glass with good flow, and your rear glass will be covered in no time. Also easy to remove to frag

Why Zoas on the bottom?

[quote name=jimlin' timestam

p='1362285340' post='473755]

hows the flow?

Heavy. I actually don't have the powerhead on the right turned on, and my input is pretty heavy. I hope it's not too strong.

Any plans to paint or use vinyl on the back glass.? Also, save some cash and get an MP10, get those ugly cords out of your nice rimless tank.. All those cords and clutter really take away from the cleanliness of your tank.

I like the clear back. I might do some black rubber coating, forgot the name of it, but it is probably pretty easy to peel off. As for the MP10, that's in the books. I want to get an apex, an MP10, an ATO, a pony, a new car a... well, I have a lot of wants ;)

I'm going to slow down, I've put a lot of corals in there, I'm going to spend some time watching my parameters, and seeing some growth, and at that, saving some money. I've spent a lot over the past couple months, $60 here, $90 there, it all adds up quickly! Everything is loving the halides after creeping out from the compact florescents, so at the very least, I can watch the colors pop now!

Also my clowns are really happy. Although they haven't explored much they haven't gone (since I've watched) to the left side of the tank, and stick pretty close to the frogspawn. I came out this morning and thought they had jumped ship. They were just hanging out behind the rocks at the bottom, seems they have all this room and don't know what to do with it!

Here we go:

DSC_0274_zpsc3fd404b.jpg

DSC_0276_zps4b508195.jpg

DSC_0277_zps543c4924.jpg

DSC_0278_zps2ab7aff2.jpg

DSC_0279_zpse0088c4c.jpg

DSC_0280_zps20055e64.jpg

DSC_0281_zpsa9b58a66.jpg

(edited)

FWIW, your tank is 1/2 glass...I've heard MP10 won't work, but I have never confirmed that.

What to do?

Some recent pics. I'm going to start focusing on photography seeing as I'm slowing down on my corals :tongue:

DSC_0273_zps6d2681e9.jpg

DSC_0276_zps6603b8a7.jpg

DSC_0278_zps3531349d.jpg

DSC_0282_zps6def4625.jpg

DSC_0284_zpsac9fee9b.jpg

DSC_0285_zps0a522f16.jpg

DSC_0286_zpsb1e32491.jpg

DSC_0287_zpsc5d0d442.jpg

DSC_0288_zps3fc99c95.jpg

DSC_0289_zpsb0f193ae.jpg

DSC_0291_zpsc3c1e323.jpg

DSC_0294_zps3c45ea9a.jpg

DSC_0302_zpsf6ff7e10.jpg

DSC_0305_zps15c5d18c.jpg

DSC_0309_zpsbbf10a44.jpg

DSC_0311_zpsff3ad7ca.jpg

Edited by YHSublime

an MP40 is looked into. The price range is not enjoyable right now. I'll have to save a little bit before I get that going. Avast ATO is still a couple weeks out, but in the books.

(edited)

FWIW, I used to run two Korilia #2's, but now I run one Korilia #2 and a Korilia Nano...I think they've changed the naming on their powerheads and since I'm not trendy I don't know what the equilvant model # would be these days...

I would much rather have a controller than an MP40, especially since you have powerheads...maybe swap our that MJ for another Korilia to get better flow.

Edited by John

FWIW, I used to run two Korilia #2's, but now I run one Korilia #2 and a Korilia Nano...I think they've changed the naming on their powerheads and since I'm not trendy I don't know what the equilvant model # would be these days...

I would much rather have a controller than an MP40, especially since you have powerheads...maybe swap our that MJ for another Korilia to get better flow.

That's just the controller box that functions with the Korilia's, right?

Negative, although that is one way to do it...I am talking about a ReefKeeper or Apex...All your equipment plugs into it and you can control each outlet for specific functions...for instance, you want to turn off skimmer and a powerhead, you can configure so that they all turn off with a press of a button and they will turn back on after x amount of minutes, where x is configured by you. Moreover, they can help regulate temp (which I recommend since you have MH), light schedule, etc.

There are tons of feature sets on the new models out there, e-mails, remote access, fancy stuff for people with smart phones, etc...I run an old ReefKeeper2 and don't have a smart phone, so I'm not up to speed on those.

Not to mention temp and PH probes, the ability to turn off your halides if the tank temp gets to high.. A good controller is a very useful reef tool.. After having one you will never look back.

An MP40 is nice, but IMO more than you really need, but it might be your only vortech option due to glass thickness.. You can often find good deals on used ones, and you dont need the newest, fully loaded one either.. However, I think a controller would be a much better option. For what your running you can go with one of the more simple Apex systems. Again, you dont need the full out fully loaded $500 option. Even an AC3 (older model before hte Apex, I still use an AC3 myself) would be a good option, and you can find them real cheap now.

I think something often forgotten is to KEEP IT SIMPLE. Its easy to fall into the buy sall these gadgets, but honestly you really dont need it. Especially not now. Tank, Lights, Sump & Pump,Skimmer,Heater, Powerhead(s) and a controller and you can have a wonderful and easy to keep reef.. Down the road add a reactor, scruber or whatever as needed.

Looking at the pics, your tank has great potential, but I think you just need to clean the system up, espeacially the sump area and get things nice, neat and organized. I use to have a somewhat messy system, and realized clean and simple is so much better... so much easier..

(edited)

Tank looks great..amazing what the correct lighting will do huh? ill get you over to see my set up sometime i swear haha.

agree get a controller (ACIII here as well...want an apex but cant justify the cost with a fully working acIII)

Mp40w or an mp20 (some thing as a 40 but with a diff driver) used is the way to go if you must have an mp40 (i have one you could try out if needs be)...the ecosmart is no different than the older mp40s cept the driver has some different modes...drysides/wetsides are the exact same...so basically its like 80 bucks more for a more fancy controller....i dont get it.

Also something dosnt look right in this pic...too many dots where a polyp would most likely not be...if you get a chance take a look with a magnafying glass or get a closer pic...may be redbugs but?? redbugs are little yellow bodies with red heads and i mean LITTLE

DSC_0285_zps0a522f16.jpg

I had a coralife for a LOONG time on my 75 and it did ok....but get a real skimmer and its amazing how much more they do.

i ran an ASM G-3 for a long time and love it dearly, switched over to an Avast cs-1 with the recirc mod and like it even more.

Edited by Der ABT

Negative, although that is one way to do it...I am talking about a ReefKeeper or Apex...All your equipment plugs into it and you can control each outlet for specific functions...for instance, you want to turn off skimmer and a powerhead, you can configure so that they all turn off with a press of a button and they will turn back on after x amount of minutes, where x is configured by you. Moreover, they can help regulate temp (which I recommend since you have MH), light schedule, etc.

There are tons of feature sets on the new models out there, e-mails, remote access, fancy stuff for people with smart phones, etc...I run an old ReefKeeper2 and don't have a smart phone, so I'm not up to speed on those.

I just looked very seriously into an Apex, unfortunately i can't drop $500 on one right now. I realize I can get some of the smaller models, but for a hundred or so extra it makes sense to just make the full investment. I do like all the features it offers, however, and would use it on my smart phone, etc. It's definitely on my list of toys/wants.

Not to mention temp and PH probes, the ability to turn off your halides if the tank temp gets to high.. A good controller is a very useful reef tool.. After having one you will never look back.

An MP40 is nice, but IMO more than you really need, but it might be your only vortech option due to glass thickness.. You can often find good deals on used ones, and you dont need the newest, fully loaded one either.. However, I think a controller would be a much better option. For what your running you can go with one of the more simple Apex systems. Again, you dont need the full out fully loaded $500 option. Even an AC3 (older model before hte Apex, I still use an AC3 myself) would be a good option, and you can find them real cheap now.

I think something often forgotten is to KEEP IT SIMPLE. Its easy to fall into the buy sall these gadgets, but honestly you really dont need it. Especially not now. Tank, Lights, Sump & Pump,Skimmer,Heater, Powerhead(s) and a controller and you can have a wonderful and easy to keep reef.. Down the road add a reactor, scruber or whatever as needed.

Looking at the pics, your tank has great potential, but I think you just need to clean the system up, espeacially the sump area and get things nice, neat and organized. I use to have a somewhat messy system, and realized clean and simple is so much better... so much easier..

You're 100% correct. KISS. Will be cleaning up tonight and getting everything squared. I'll look into some of the Apex's you mentioned, but I think I'd rather save and go full apex. I'm going to get some screws and hang my powerstrips on the back wall of the stand tonight, and clean up the sump.

Tank looks great..amazing what the correct lighting will do huh? ill get you over to see my set up sometime i swear haha.

agree get a controller (ACIII here as well...want an apex but cant justify the cost with a fully working acIII)

Mp40w or an mp20 (some thing as a 40 but with a diff driver) used is the way to go if you must have an mp40 (i have one you could try out if needs be)...the ecosmart is no different than the older mp40s cept the driver has some different modes...drysides/wetsides are the exact same...so basically its like 80 bucks more for a more fancy controller....i dont get it.

Also something dosnt look right in this pic...too many dots where a polyp would most likely not be...if you get a chance take a look with a magnafying glass or get a closer pic...may be redbugs but?? redbugs are little yellow bodies with red heads and i mean LITTLE

DSC_0285_zps0a522f16.jpg

I had a coralife for a LOONG time on my 75 and it did ok....but get a real skimmer and its amazing how much more they do.

i ran an ASM G-3 for a long time and love it dearly, switched over to an Avast cs-1 with the recirc mod and like it even more.

lighting is ridiculously important. The difference is night and day... literally! I'm getting a new skimmer, with plans to get an Avast after a temporary fix. I think my skimmer is stuffed and missing parts anyways. I might take you up on testing the controller, and I look forward to one day seeing that tank of yours (again, if you need help moving stuff, etc, let me know.) Until I can even look at buying one, there is no point in testing it out, other than getting all excited.

I'll take a look at that frag tonight, I'm not sure how a lot of these SPS pieces are meant to look, so I appreciate the extra set of eyes in making sure I'm doing everything I can right. I'm testing my water every night, and every thing is staying stable, with nitrates dropping.

lemme know what pieces you think your missing...pretty sure i have one or two of these in the garage i kept in case i ever needed scrap plastic but your welcome to any parts needed off of them.

lemme know what pieces you think your missing...pretty sure i have one or two of these in the garage i kept in case i ever needed scrap plastic but your welcome to any parts needed off of them.

Really appreciate it. I'll take a peek around tonight and see how I'm sitting.