Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

It was Jan's centerpiece. The fish LOVE the ledge it makes, and once I'm done remodeling, it'll give me a huge sandbed for my zoas and that big ol' brain on the other end. I chose that side as the nems on the other end are really doing well. The RBTA recoiled underneath the rock on the right, but it's slowly coming back out with one of my clowns loving up on it, even when it's 10% exposed. I'm going to see how it looks when it fully basks out again, but I'm considering selling it on the rock, and putting the GSP under the cap. The two headed torch on top will hopefully fluff up again in all it's glory, with the frogspawn that's already perked up again.

Edited by YHSublime

Very nice. Looks good in that spot.

Thanks! I feel it makes the tank look more natural and real. I'm pleased with it, although I took out a substantial amount of live rock. I contemplated adding it for about a week. Give me a few days and I wont want to change anything again.

• 2 weeks later...

New LEDs in. Will update later. These pics are unedited from my iPhone, trying to color balance on the Nikon.

post-2633508-136960999244_thumb.jpg

post-2633508-13696100129_thumb.jpg

post-2633508-136961003193_thumb.jpg

post-2633508-136961055785_thumb.jpg

Sorry. These look way nicer on the phone than my 1080p monitor...

Ok, finally have time to comprehend your pictures. How high do you have your lights set at? After looking at your pictures, I wonder if I have mine a bit too low (I'm at around 7" above water), which is why I am not getting the coverage I was thinking.

By the way, your light is huge! Looks awesome! Can't believe you're already selling your MH, not even for back up? :wacko:

Ok, finally have time to comprehend your pictures. How high do you have your lights set at? After looking at your pictures, I wonder if I have mine a bit too low (I'm at around 7" above water), which is why I am not getting the coverage I was thinking.

By the way, your light is huge! Looks awesome! Can't believe you're already selling your MH, not even for back up? :wacko:

I mounted it just a few inches higher than my old metal halide. It's about a foot off from the rim of the tank. I used the mounts that i had my old light hanging with, the whole process was rather quick. I'm seeing great response from the corals, and I've started everything off at 17%. I was seeing polyp extension like never before, although I can't clarify if that was because I was giving to little light. I plan to take it up a % every day until I hit that sweet spot, but the colors are definitely popping. Folks out there say nothing beats a MH, but this light is quieter, provides fantastic colors, and is programmable. Not to mention, it's all powered off one cord, no more plug for my moonlights, ballast, fans, etc. Even if I don't see the amount of speedy growth a MH would provide, I'm happy with the fact that it's sleek, looks good, and at the end of the day, my apartment doesn't feel like Hades. I would hold onto the MH for backup if I had the space, but things are getting cramped around here. 

Is that an IT2060.? Tank looks to be coming along nicely..

It's actually the IT2080, I am enjoying it immensely. Thanks! I'm finally coming to terms with my aquascape. Took out a lot of rock in the process, but it's a lot cleaner, and gave me some room on the sand bed. I have a wandering green bubble tip, which of course decided to start a trek right before I went on vacation last week. So far no damage. 

... I'm happy with the fact that it's sleek, looks good, and at the end of the day, my apartment doesn't feel like Hades.

you're always good to provide the laugh, haha...

Isaac,

Seriously, did your fish change behavior once you put these lights up? My fish (well, really just 2 clowns) have started to be more active and swim way more than previous. Just wondering if I'm dreaming or not. Thanks.

you're always good to provide the laugh, haha...

It's just the way this mind works. 

Isaac,

Seriously, did your fish change behavior once you put these lights up? My fish (well, really just 2 clowns) have started to be more active and swim way more than previous. Just wondering if I'm dreaming or not. Thanks.

Maybe you can just see them better now  :tongue:

I didn't notice any behavior changes with my fish once the lights changed. The big three for me:

Less cluttur

Vibrant Colors

Polyp Extension

Got some pics with the better camera. Can't say it's much of an improvement... but oh well. I messed around with RAW and some settings and here they are untouched:

68fd2196-4b5e-41e1-8630-7fd7537d4d55_zps

Super fun time:

DSC_06222_zps1cb2d5ad.jpg

This particular piece of Acro was not getting enough light. The polyps have extended now I've put the LED's in, I hope that it will color up again, 

DSC_06212_zps344790f0.jpg

This particular SPS had bleached out on half the bottom, and has now covered up great, and shown some green, purple, and blues, one of my favs:

DSC_06202_zps62492061.jpg

DSC_06192_zps2e65fec2.jpg

Zoa rock won in an auction from Incredible Corals, photobomed. You also might notice that there is GBTA tips coming down. That little dude has wandered all over the tank, I'm hoping he settles down soon, I'm nervous about it.

DSC_06152_zpsb195faf0.jpg

Fin:

DSC_06142_zps21a61e35.jpg

Also, this is how I managed to catch all the Lemon Chromis that were tearing up my tank. Although, I don't recommend it, it certainly helped me clear up my aquascape a bit. 

DSC_06002_zps9cee70c2.jpg

I like the new scape, looks good!!

Coming from you, that's a compliment! Thanks so much!

Wow! I like the new look. Any sign of that nasty algae? 

0 since, your tangs did a magnificent job. Thanks for the compliment, and your help!

I've turned off the MP40 and the Algae Turbos and Tang are having a go at it, the only place I have hair algae left is on that, and from the looks of it, not for long. 

I've got a rock nem I'm picking up from Richard hopefully this weekend, and then I don't want to say it, because Jen is probably out there ready to make me eat my words, but then I want to let the tank grow into itself. Once I get my lights tuned just right, I want to program them, just keep up on my water changes and focus on my husbandry. Any new additions are going to be a new sump, and an ATO. I don't know how I've gotten this far along without an ATO to be completely honest. 

I've got a rock nem I'm picking up from Richard hopefully this weekend, and then I don't want to say it, because Jen is probably out there ready to make me eat my words, but then I want to let the tank grow into itself.

you are addicted....there is no stopping you anymore.....how are you explaining all these purchases to the fiance?  LOL....promises....promises....

I have to say I love the new scape....looking fantastic!!!!! NOW STOP BUYING AND LET IT ALL GROW!!!!   :rolleyes:

ATO's are heavenly

It's my obsession of the week, looking around.

you are addicted....there is no stopping you anymore.....how are you explaining all these purchases to the fiance?  LOL....promises....promises....

I have to say I love the new scape....looking fantastic!!!!! NOW STOP BUYING AND LET IT ALL GROW!!!!   :rolleyes:

I'm not explaining, she's more impressed with the lights. It's amazing how different things look in new lights ;)

Also, my corals split, or are seasonal so their colors change, my water quality is also perfect, so things are growing extra fast :laugh:

"Oh, that just looks different because it's spring, baby."

Just kidding. I've actually thinned the tank out a bit, handing out frags to new members, trying to pay it forward like it was done to me by so many on WAMAS. I'm happy with it, grow my precious, grow!

LOl... My fiancé actually thought my new lights (Razor) were really cool too... Had I only known... To bad she doesn't think huge tanks in apartments are cool too.!!!

nice new look. why dont you just get the avast delux model. it comes with a really nice pump.

nice but very loud. their sensor is great but coupled with the BRS top off pump, a tremendous combination and much quieter.