Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What type of camera/software did you end up using?

I ended up using Yawcam to IP my camera, and then Tiny Cam Monitor (free)

wow, your tank is looking really nice.

Thank you! I'm starting to get to sit back and enjoy it more, everything seems exceptionally happy!

Looking good!

Thanks man! Getting there!

Tank looks good. Just ditch the SPS and go all LPS/Softies.. You;ll never really miss them, trust me.!!

I know, I've been thinking about it. When I move (and I will at some stage) I don't want to be balled and chained by this aquarium.

looking great !!

Thanks! Slowly but surely, a properly functioning skimmer, and 2 water changes a week have been key!

The tank is pretty much on auto at the moment. Sitting at home enjoying the view that I rarely get to see while I'm at work, so weekends are nice. I'm fighting a pretty serious battle with algae, hair, and caulerpa. I'm in the market for a little bitty yellow or chocolate tang, so if anybody knows of a vendor, or somebody who's selling, please let me know. It's only on two rocks, and both of them are getting the most light in the tank, so I'm convinced it's because I'm running my lights longer than I should. I'm OK with that, because my corals appear to be as well. Still not dosing anything, and my coraline is speckling everywhere, I'm actually getting coraline spots on my front pane quicker than I can clean it off. Other than that, everything just "is" and is growing quicker than i thought, I might have to acquire some fragging skills in the near future.

I've jumped in on the new Evergrow buy, ordered the IT2080. I'm really happy with the MH's, but the temp in the summer concerns me. We will see, I think I'll hold onto both fixtures, until I can experience firsthand what the LED's have to offer.

FTS:

DSC_0525_zpsa7f1d03f.jpg

I picked up this piece from a WAMAS member about a month ago. It was a lot of skeleton, but has quickly filled in!

DSC_0555_zps9e6502c4.jpg

Hey there:

DSC_0562_zpsbcac2376.jpg

Growing Garden:

DSC_0568_zps74d79348.jpg

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak:

DSC_0559_zpsaa6dd7c9.jpg

DSC_0547_zps3cf58929.jpg

This particular piece was NOT doing well at all, seems to be a lot better now:

DSC_0546_zpsa84ffe7c.jpg

Before:

DSC_0275_zpsfc179383.jpg

Before on this one:

DSC_0272_zpsc9bd2c11.jpg

DSC_0271_zpsce3290ec.jpg

Now (It is however bleaching up from the bottom, I suspect I will have to cut it, or else it will kill the whole thing? Or will it just keep growing on one side?)

DSC_0570_zpsfc74e4d6.jpg

Still looking good, I personally have never had much success with SPS, and unless I can gain some serious knowledge/ hints from my fellow reefers here, I will most likely not be putting any in my tank. With that said, yours are still waaay better shape than any I've owned.

Still looking good, I personally have never had much success with SPS, and unless I can gain some serious knowledge/ hints from my fellow reefers here, I will most likely not be putting any in my tank. With that said, yours are still waaay better shape than any I've owned.

Thanks! It's all about water quality and lights, from what I understand. I'm not dosing anything, I don't run carbon, or GFO. The only thing I do, and I don't know if it's helpful or not, but run my lights on reverse (light on in my sump at night.) It certainly keeps my cheeto alive, which at this stage I hope is holding a copious amount of pods. My SPS has gotten way better. That being said, I didn't care much for SPS, but as of late, I've found some really nice pieces that I want to grow. I don't have the secret answer either, but as of this moment, whatever I'm doing seems to be working. 5 gallon water changes every week or so, and sometimes I'll do a 2 gallon mid week. I've been feeding every other day, my nems all enjoy a quarter size chunk of Jans, as does my torch, which ends up catching most of what the clowns end up dragging around all over the tank. If the fish and the corals don't catch the frozen, my greedy peppermint does, that's if he's not busy stealing it from everything else.

I just did a nice scrub on my front pane of glass, and a water change, should have done pictures after this, oh well. I let the side panels go rouge, as I don't mind all the snail eggs, and I'm hoping the back will eventually coat with coraline, but on my next water change I might give the sides a good scrub, it would really open up the tank.

So new addition tonight: Bristle Tooth Tang. About 3", and very shy. Picked her up from Sharkey18, hopefully will do well in my tank. I can see her pacing around behind my rock work, hoping an appearance will be made before lights out.

Just as I typed this, she got a little bit bolder and did a small lap around the left side of the tank, so it's great to see her warming up already! My real hopes are that my algae will get some working on, that will leave me with a fat tang, and a happy Isaac.

DSC_0617_zps29d96cec.jpg

Adjusting:

DSC_0610_zps45098057.jpg

Can you see me?

DSC_0645_zpsb646c8b8.jpg

(Although she just came out front and center right now, but ducked back in quick.)

FTS

DSC_0655_zpse57959da.jpg

Love the tank! So what are you going to do about the tang when it starts to get big? I think this tang can fit in a smaller tank or are you already planning for the future?

Nice pickup, very personable fish, if there is such a thing. Looks like an orange spot like mine. Mine rules my 90 and charges the front of the glass if I stand and stare too long. Although at feeding time he will eat out of my hand. Great addition to your cleanup crew, will clean the sand and constantly pick at the liverock and glass.

Love the tank! So what are you going to do about the tang when it starts to get big? I think this tang can fit in a smaller tank or are you already planning for the future?

Thanks! It's About 3" now, I will pay it forward if it grows too big and I don't have space. I'm hoping there is bigger in store, but nothing is guaranteed!

Nice pickup, very personable fish, if there is such a thing. Looks like an orange spot like mine. Mine rules my 90 and charges the front of the glass if I stand and stare too long. Although at feeding time he will eat out of my hand. Great addition to your cleanup crew, will clean the sand and constantly pick at the liverock and glass.

So far very shy. I hope it acclimates well. spent a lot of time behind my rock thus far. Hopefully will start grazing algae soon. I'm pretty smitten though, and hope it loosens up a bit!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Came home and she was swimming all about the tank, living the dream. A big chunk of hair algae missing from part of my rock by the zoas... hmmmm. Hope she likes a variety in her diet! Doing mad dashes around my rock work, Peering out at my from behind my toadstool centerpiece. I think it's less fear, and more curiosity at this stage. I'm hoping to witness some grazing this evening.

DSC_0669_zps168b942a.jpg

DSC_0668_zps72f98ef5.jpg

if you could hear the way you sound now...like a real reefer, haha. the photos are awesome and the tank really coming along in such a short time. good times, sir. also, with the LEDs you're going to love what they bring out in your corals and even in the fish. glad you joined along for a test trial on your tank. glad to see the nem doing well in your system too and hope it continue to do well - thanks for the updates!

Fantastic!!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hope I don't have to catch it anytime soon, should be called "Greased Lightening." It's pretty bossy with my Algae Blenny from what I'm seeing. It also appears that Hair Algae won't be a problem anymore.

if you could hear the way you sound now...like a real reefer, haha. the photos are awesome and the tank really coming along in such a short time. good times, sir. also, with the LEDs you're going to love what they bring out in your corals and even in the fish. glad you joined along for a test trial on your tank. glad to see the nem doing well in your system too and hope it continue to do well - thanks for the updates!

Thanks! I was just thinking about how far it's come along, I couldn't have done it without WAMAS. I'm really still trying to slow down on what I add at this point, everything seems to be really balanced and scheduled, and I know I've been saying this for months, but I want to start making it more autopilot and let things grow in. I really look forward to the color pop from the LEDs, and hopefully some great growth. Honestly, John taking the plunge first really helped me make a decision. At the rate the nems are going, I'll have to start another tank, they are huge! Glad to share updates, as WAMAS is the only group who listens to me talk about my tank!

I'll start off with a FTS:

DSC_0271_zpse36016c9.jpg

You'll notice in the bottom right is a gigantic Maxima Clam from Dr. Macs. I ordered from their online special, as well as 5 turbo snails. I am thrilled with the customer service. Not only did they send me a fantastic looking clam, it was quick, easy, and they even gave me a call to make sure I got it in the tank and see if I had any questions, it couldn't have been easier. The clam is a lot of real estate for what it is... but that's ok, I just need to find the perfect spot for it. I'm in and out on selling all my SPS. I also have some rocks that I might take out because of the calpulera. The hair algae doesn't bother me that bad. The turbo's are doing a great job, and have already killed a big spot of algae, unfortunately due the shape of the rock, I don't think they will be able to navigate it too well. Out of the 10 peppermint shrimp I've added, I've seen one.

DSC_0284_zpsd2ce9681.jpg

Dirty glass, I'll find a good spot for it soon. It's amazing how aware of it's surroundings it is. I get close against the glass and it closes up some.

DSC_0289_zps22dd1504.jpg

DSC_0288_zps11978faa.jpg

DSC_0283_zps13b1d9b1.jpg

I can't wait to see how it looks in my LED's when those show up.

You might want to move some things around and put that clam right under the light, they require alot of light.

You might want to move some things around and put that clam right under the light, they require alot of light.

That's what I read, but I've been hearing it will be OK on the sand bed with the 250mh. I'm thinking about taking out that algae rock and putting it there.

lol is that a big hairy green millie or ha?

Hardy har. It's hair algae. Please note the FTS, and that is the problem rock! Also, the tall rock on the left (it's hard to tell it's a big rock, it's kind of like a torch with a lagoon behind it) has some calpulera growing on it. I really would rather not take that rock out, as it's the favorite side of many things in my tank, because they have that sense of privacy. This oldie kind of shows what I'm talking about:

DSC_0305_zpsb6d4e02d.jpg

I'm sure it will be fine in the sandbed, but I would move it a little closer to center.

I'm sure it will be fine in the sandbed, but I would move it a little closer to center.

Thanks, sir. I'll do a little shuffling tonight!