Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just stay away from certain fish like dartfish, firefish and such... other than those, ive never had a jumper... even my pearly jawfish has been good (as long as he is not scared out of his burrow he will not jump)

A few options. a reef safe wrasse; possum wrasses are fun but reclusive, reef safe angels :) ;I have a lamarcks, depending on what shrimp you want a chalk bass, midas blenny, rainfords or jester goby, cardinals, you already have clowns....you have so many smaller fish to choose from....

why not just get someones water change water for your cycle. already have the bacteria in the water, just run it through a filter sock. it may speed up the cycle.

why not just get someones water change water for your cycle. already have the bacteria in the water, just run it through a filter sock. it may speed up the cycle.

How much water do you think I'd need? I can put some water from my 14, but it would be about a gallon a week : P

So, question about that. I have some rock coming my way, but it's covered in hair algae (long story, good deal.) I'll kill the lights, but what's a good way to get rid of it?

manual removal until the end of the cycle. you can even put a towel or something around the tank to cut out all the lights if it dont go away on its own after the cycle.

So here is what caution to the wind looks like. If you've been following, then you know that I got some rock that was covered in hair algae, as well as bubble algae. I rigorously cleaned them with a brush, soaked them, scrubbed them, rinsed them, and threw them in the tank. I did no aquascaping, I don't even have enough water to fill up my tank yet, I just put in 3 power heads to keep the water moving, and let it at least start a cycle. I've been doing small water changes on my 14, and just throwing the waste water in the big tank. I plan on making about 30 more gallons of water this weekend, so things should be in full swing fairly soon. Once I have it filled up and the water running from the sump, I'll start aquascaping properly. The rock is live, the sand is live.... now I wait (and cross my fingers)

DSC_0272_zps7fad1a3f.jpg

DSC_0276_zps00832766.jpg

DSC_0274_zps7fa22e40.jpg

Getting there:

DSC_0325_zpsd1269c12.jpg

DSC_0324_zps9a18ded8.jpg

DSC_0321_zpsb91c7b69.jpg

Still cloudy, but:

DSC_0273_zps7d4d0881.jpg

DSC_0274_zps04eb605f.jpg

There's some rock work I'm pretty happy with, although it's different from what I sculpted out.

Looking good.

Thanks! Your tank was/is my inspiration for rock work! I'm hoping it settles down overnight so I can get some better shots.

It's funny, those pics I finally posted where with a point n shoot camera. I never did figure out the good camera. Got way to aggrevated with it. Tried for 3 hours and everything I changed setting wise made no difference. Oh well. Your tanks coming along nicely. Can't wait to see pics tomorrow when its clear.

you got some nice looking pieces of rock. looks good so far.

Thanks man! Yeah, rock is nice, also took a lot of work! Slow and steady.

Looks good!

Thanks! it's a little more cluttered than I pictured, but it's not bad for the space I'm working with. I wanted a little bit of room on the sand bed up front as well, which is why I left the front right corner open. I really like the "tree" on the left corner, but I have an awesome cave behind it. There is a big gap in between the two that doesn't get much light, I might have to sacrifice one for the sake of function.

Are the dry-side of those powerhead magnets sealed? I only ask since you have them on the overflow...most of the time they are not meant to be in contact with water.

It's funny, those pics I finally posted where with a point n shoot camera. I never did figure out the good camera. Got way to aggrevated with it. Tried for 3 hours and everything I changed setting wise made no difference. Oh well. Your tanks coming along nicely. Can't wait to see pics tomorrow when its clear.

Oh well, whatever works. I'm actually going to have to go through the same thing soon, the halides above the tank are coming out super blue. If I can work it out on my D-90, we can do a tutorial at the next meet/swap.

Are the dry-side of those powerhead magnets sealed? I only ask since you have them on the overflow...most of the time they are not meant to be in contact with water.

They are actually on the glass RIGHT by the overflow, so they are on the outside. I'm not really sure how I'm going to keep them yet... I have another 2 that I'm using to mix my salt. There is a lot of flow happening right now.

I'm getting ready to put some pictures up, tank cleared overnight. I bought some Zoas and a Yellow Fiji leather from Richard over at Exotic Reef Creations, bit of a drive, but worth it! I'll post pictures of those up once they open up as well, just threw them in my tank.

My drain pipe is pretty loud, I can hear my water trickling over constantly. What needs to be adjusted to stop this?

Some cleaner water pictures:

DSC_0276_zps7c1b132f.jpg

DSC_0278_zps084457a5.jpg

DSC_0281_zps55390716.jpg

DSC_0279_zpsccc0a32b.jpg

Some great containers I also got from the guy i got the rock from. Perfect for holding my RO/DI

DSC_0282_zpsc0100ef0.jpg

Back to the first tank, new stock:

Once my new tank cycles, I plan on moving some zoas over and seeing how they do. I pulled them all out off my sand bed and put them on a rack. Starfish is getting slightly agitated having to navigate such a small space that I keep throwing more corals in, great job on keeping the sand stirred though. The Yellow Fiji was worth the trip alone to Exotic Reef Creations, my new favorite piece, planted center.

Sorry, everything is kind of pissed that I had my hands in there, I should have held off on the pics... but I wont.

DSC_0273_zps8f5195c2.jpg

DSC_0269_zpsdfde40a4.jpg

DSC_0270_zps3ea83f15.jpg

One thing (and there are lots) to keep in mind when aquascaping is to try and leave enough space between the rocks and glass, mainly on the front and sides. You want to be able to clean your glass or manuever around the edges.

Oh, and as a fair warning... Any fish can jump out. Dont be misled that ONLY certain fish jump. Some are much more likely than others, like wrasses are always known to jump.. I recently lost a mandarin to jumping. A couple weeks ago my cowfish came flying out, luckily I was standing right there..

Mesh tops are nice, but in my opinion they make rimless tanks look ugly. You bought a rimless tank bc its sexxy and sleek, dont junk it up with a crappy top, just choose your fish wisely, and pray a little that those ones dont jump.