Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

So it's been a while since I've updated, and a lots gone in. I slowed down on the tank a bit as I just got engaged last week!

I will try to add everything I've done as I can remember. New stock, 5 Green Chromis. They are hearty, and apperantly the last of survivors from a batch that Quantum Reefs had brought in. They stick with the Clowns who are hosting my Frogspawn. Very cool to watch.

I've added a few more SPS in as well. They are all adapting well. I really only get to watch during the day on weekends, other than that, it's when I get home and my white are off for the day. I did a run through this morning, and all polyps are out and everything appears to be enjoying itself.

I added a Yellow Watchman Goby (who had been white since I've gotten him) and a candy pistol shrimp. They were paired before I got them, but I don't know if they've gone separate ways. I placed them in the tank with about two mintues difference between them. This is the last I saw of the pistol, I do however, have a fairly good idea of where my Goby is. The Goby is the most fun to watch at feeding time. Unlike all the other tank members, it will drag huge chunks of Jans food back into it's hiding spot, I admire it's ambition.

I also picked up at MP40 ES. I have been playing around with it this morning, and it's very cool.

I'm currently not running a skimmer, so I'm going to be doing water changes a little more frequently. The pump has been returned to the manufacture for replacing, or fixing, sending a stray voltage through my sump. I have also picked up a grounding probe.

In the next month or so, I plan on getting a Green Mandarin. Another addition I have made is I have shoved Cheeto behind all my rock, and down in my sump. I have two bottles of Tisbee Reefpods in my fridge, and I plan on putting one in my display, and another in the sump. I want to generate as many pods as I can in the meantime, and there already are lots in my display tank. I will probably add another two in two weeks.

Anyways, enough talk, lets see some pictures!

Cluttered:

DSC_0272_zpsd72aa22b.jpg

DSC_0269_zps5a855a62.jpg

Clowns, aka bosses of the tank:

DSC_0320_zps80cda098.jpg

Liams Cloves in the blues:

DSC_0304_zpsd4fcb7d4.jpg

The first and last of the pistol:

DSC_0291_zps1e53f21b.jpg

Inspection:

DSC_0311_zpse4f2eb16.jpg

Spring Cleaning:

DSC_0323_zpsab8c1bed.jpg

DSC_0334_zps0ad8ec37.jpg

DSC_0338_zps75fc6524.jpg

DSC_0346_zps8e251419.jpg

DSC_0348_zpsd5196589.jpg

DSC_0350_zps23e76b8e.jpg

DSC_0351_zpsfc6ebfd4.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you considered putting the mp40 on the side against the wall? This will open up viewing from the side. I would give your tank some more time before the Mandarian purchase...

I thought about putting it on the other side, it's kind of hard to see from the pictures, but that rock up front is kind of like a tree, which blocks a lot of the flow it would deliver. I was hoping the mandarin could "qt" for another month or so in my biocube, which has been up and running.

Have you considered putting the mp40 on the side against the wall? This will open up viewing from the side. I would give your tank some more time before the Mandarian purchase...
+1 on mandarin...your tank is too new and that is not a fish for a tank this young

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Is your chaeto in shaded areas? If so, it will probably die off and release a lot of PO4 into the water. I would make sure if its in there that it all has good light.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

+1 on mandarin...your tank is too new and that is not a fish for a tank this young

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

+1 about Mandarin. Way to early you will loose it. I want one as well but until I see a huge amount of Pods I will wait.

So the reason I even THOUGHT about a Mandarin is because I have my biocube running that I was planning on using as a QT. There are no predators in there atm, and it has been up for about half a year.

Found another lense today, snapped some pics this evening, don't know if they're any better:

DSC_0311_zpsd74a00b5.jpg

DSC_0314_zpsb3132b7d.jpg

DSC_0318_zps59ed65e7.jpg

DSC_0323_zpsd5b8ee1b.jpg

DSC_0328_zpsd676ea18.jpg

And this bum sat on the couch and just watched me clean all day:

DSC_0338_zps6637b0a4.jpg

Everything is looking good....

So do you have a large amount of pods your seeing in the cube?

If you aren't seeing them in there then you don't have enough for the mandarin .....

Thats what JR do best, you didn't have a ball in your hand.

He's actually an exception to the rule, he is not hyperactive at all. He was abused before he came my way, so we're making small steps, and he's slowly getting better.

looking really good.

Thanks man! I'm enjoying the ride.

Everything is looking good....

So do you have a large amount of pods your seeing in the cube?

If you aren't seeing them in there then you don't have enough for the mandarin .....

Yes, but will there be enough to last? I've thrown two packs of pods in my sump with cheeto and sponges. Hoping to rock and roll.

If you put them in there a month or two ago ank can visibly see them all over he'll probably be good for 2or3 months...but during that time you'll have to seed and check the larger tank regularly to make sure the population in there is catching up too...I literally waited till I saw them all over the glass in my 50g before I added one...plus I have Cardinal that mainly eats amphipods so had to have enough for both...

Whoops. Looked back and those two pictures were a double post. I know I've said this before, but this guy is going to slow down. I did a 5 gallon water change this morning, and everything in my tank is looking so happy and growing like crazy. I'll get to SPS when I'm ready, and I'll get my Mandarin sooner than later, no rush! I'm going to sit back and watch my tank grow for a bit, I've already seen some nice coraline growing on my rocks! I got called the "New Ryan," haha, not sure what that pertains to, but I'm fairly sure he rushed in too fast!

In the meantime, here is a really cool shot I never shared from my BC14, which is coming along nicely... again!

DSC_0280_zps45765dec.jpg

Found that peppermint above this weekend. Haven't been looking for him, but he cam running out when I was thawing a cube of Jans, like he could smell it... He's doubled the size.

Also, now it's one tank one room. Unless something pops up... ya' never know ;)

A few shots from this weekend:

DSC_0295_zpsaaba1e31.jpg

DSC_0282_zps261bf4e8.jpg

DSC_0281_zps0128e9ca.jpg

DSC_0278_zps3f838f8b.jpg

DSC_0277_zps9bfada8d.jpg

DSC_0276_zpsd57cbe07.jpg

4b843530-5e15-491d-a162-f2d0157dfa5a_zps40fec281.jpg

looks like the sps are doing better now.

Much better, and even growing. Lost the big colony, but ever since, everything else has been doing great.

Been a while since I gave an update, might as well throw one out. So I've gone on a coral freeze, we will see how long it lasts. My water parameters are doing great, and everything appears to be thriving, if not growing, including the SPS. After I lost that big tricolor colony I was a little down in the dumps, but it was a good lesson learning piece.

I also went against most folks better judgement and picked up two RBTA's about a month ago. I set them on either end of tank, and was surprised to find that both of them stay put. About a week and a half ago, one split, appearing to be just as healthy as it's counterpart, so now there are three. I've hooked up a camera to the tank for the sole purpose of being able to check these RBTA's, which were my biggest concern for a solid week straight, even though they were doing completely fine. In less than 60 seconds my clown pair was hosting. They are ORA tank bred, and to the best of my knowledge, have never seen a nem before. It's amazing how they just knew. Then my clowns got a divorce. I can't figure out what's going on with them, they now both host separate anemones on either side of the tank. Sometimes I come out, and they are sharing one, and rotate. Every now and then, one still goes back and takes to the frogspawn again, but it's not long till it finds the nem home again.

There is a slight outbreak of algae in my tank. I added an Algae Blenny, who appears to be doing his job with the smaller stuff. I also have had an explosive growth of

Caulerpa racemosa var. peltata. Folks say keep it, but it appears that it might start choking out my Zoas, and it grows fast. I think I might be able to contribute it to the fact that I keep my lights on for longer than recommended (usually 9 hour days.) I'm also starting to get heavy speckling of coraline on the rocks. I think the MP40 was a great addition with the flow. Anyways, enough talk, I know what ya'll want:

DSC_0270_zps631ed1ca.jpg

DSC_0438_zps8fba8b5e.jpg

DSC_0439_zps52300486.jpg

DSC_0441_zpsf43e2afa.jpg

DSC_0436_zpsec8fb8f6.jpg

DSC_0434_zps7e535256.jpg

this is the RBTA on the left. It doesn't quite bubble like the other ones, I think it has to do with light. I figured it would move if it wasn't happy, They all eat readily, and I have yet to see them spit food back out.

DSC_0394_zpsee338a3d.jpg

DSC_0363_zps8ba022f7.jpg

Finally got my skimmer working the way I want it:

DSC_0269_zpsd56a1015.jpg

Started with 5, down to 4. No sign of missing one. No spike in nitrates. Mob fish, fugedabudit

DSC_0312_zps37fb355e.jpg

DSC_0282_zps261bf4e8.jpg

DSC_0277_zps9bfada8d.jpg

DSC_0276_zpsd57cbe07.jpg

Looks like it's time for another tank:

50lbs shipped from my friend again. There are some beautiful pieces in here. Can't wait to start aquascaping/look for another cube. My Fiance might leave me.

DSC_0521_zps1d5afcb4.jpg

sweet photo update, sir! nice looking rock for sure. what size this time?

Thanks! I'm hoping a rimless nano, dedicated to sps. Size tbd.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2