Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

One thing (and there are lots) to keep in mind when aquascaping is to try and leave enough space between the rocks and glass, mainly on the front and sides. You want to be able to clean your glass or manuever around the edges.

I took that into consideration! I should have enough room to move a magnet around.

Fwiw you will probably re-aquascape 3 or 4 more times before you think youre happy.. Happens to us all.

I figure. It's already changed from how I had it out. Once I start planting corals I'm sure I'll be ready to change some things.

Oh, and as a fair warning... Any fish can jump out. Dont be misled that ONLY certain fish jump. Some are much more likely than others, like wrasses are always known to jump.. I recently lost a mandarin to jumping. A couple weeks ago my cowfish came flying out, luckily I was standing right there..

Mesh tops are nice, but in my opinion they make rimless tanks look ugly. You bought a rimless tank bc its sexxy and sleek, dont junk it up with a crappy top, just choose your fish wisely, and pray a little that those ones dont jump.

That's exactly why I bought the rimless. I'm not concerned about the fish jumping, and plan on making those decisions slowly. I've already had issues with my my clowns jumping into my chambers in the biocube. I think it's because they were trying to figure out sex, and even though they are alright for now, will need more space than 14 gallons. I'm not planning on adding big fish editions in the near future, except the clowns, and I hope that there will be enough room in there to keep the jumping from happening.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My drain pipe is pretty loud, I can hear my water trickling over constantly. What needs to be adjusted to stop this?

anybody have some thoughts here?

If you are able to (depending on where the valve is) you could close your drain valve a bit, or your overflow valve...or ramp up or down your return pump? Pictures help,lol..and if no valve on anything then ummm hhhrrrmmm

Looking good! Love that tank

Thanks Tracy! I started about 3 build before I found this. I love the rimless look. It's my first big reef tank. I've never had a sump, skimmer, lights, etc all running, so it's a learning process!

If you are able to (depending on where the valve is) you could close your drain valve a bit, or your overflow valve...or ramp up or down your return pump? Pictures help,lol..and if no valve on anything then ummm hhhrrrmmm

No valve. I could probably put one in between my piping underneath. Pics:

DSC_0270_zps9e296f83.jpg

Left is drain, right is return:

DSC_0271_zps2fc809d2.jpg

DSC_0272_zpsa1ae683a.jpg

DSC_0273_zps4365a131.jpg

The splashing is quiet. I actually had it IN the water itself, and it gurgled a bit, but it's the water filtering down from the first picture that causes quite a racket.

Are there two drains in there?

It looks like there's a drain pipe up and to the right of the cap. And it looks like it's sucking in air and water. Is it a sucking/gurgling sound you hear?

Looks like your elbow is upside down

I second this. Check that first.

Looks like your elbow is upside down
yeah that pipe taking the water in should be under water. It looks wrong when you set it up correct because the water will enter the pipe from below. Will make it much quieter and less likely to get obstructed.

Oh! I bet you guys are right. I couldn't tell what was going on, but now that you pointed it out, I bet it is an upside down elbow of a durso.

I haven't switched it around, but that would probably do the trick! Glad it's something simple. Thanks for those pics Tracy! And thanks everybody else for your quick answers!

WOW. Just turned it around. I'm not convinced it's the same tank. Now I can hear the fan in my lights :angry: Maybe I'll try my LED's :tongue:

So Feb 22nd I put in about a gallon of my old tank water, new saltwater I made up, and a whole bunch of live rock: weight-unknown. Last night I added another gallon or so of my old 14BC water, don't know why I did this, but I didn't even think about it till now.

My test kit reads:

High Range PH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0ppm

No2: 0ppm

No3: 5.0-10ppm

Sooo, what do ya'll think? Water change and ta-da, good to go? Keep in mind that the sand was live as well. I threw in a couple hermits yesterday morning, and they are still crawling around np. They are also very hardy, one of them had his leg taken off by another when I first threw them in my tank, he gimps around 4 months later, like a warrior.

So here's my next question. What if I want to take the sand out? Will this generate a possible new cycle? I don't know if I'm certain on this, BUT I might try!

Have you changed you mind about having a sand bed ? Your NO3 will come down. Going bare bottom w/ water change will reduce NO3, but they could still rise. Disturbing or transporting sand from one tank to another will stir up some nasty stuff but the tank will heal if no additional bio-load introduce. The addition of new coral like Pizzaguy will carry beneficial bacteria on every little piece of rock to help the cycle. Leave the sand in, and put some Mag Rocks on that back glass :laugh:

I'm not looking to take out the sandbed because I want to drop my nitrates, I was just thinking it might have a cleaner look. Either way, I think a water change will drop the nitrates and I can probably start putting some corals in there, no?

when i was trying to reduce my gravel, i took out a little bit during the weekly water change. dont think its a good idea to take it all out at once. try changing your water and adding some food and take another test the following day.

Its a new tank with nothing in it. If you wanna do it, then do it now. I slowly removed my sandbed (approx 60#) over a 4-5 week period, sucking it out with water changes trying not to stir it up. If you decide to go BB then I highly recommend redoing your rocks and making them secure, as they wont have anything to rest on. I do think you will find your tank looks a little bigger without the sandbed, but that looks not for everyone..

I'm torn, I love it, I hate it. I don't know. I'll probably just keep it. I'm sure it won't be long till I get something bigger, maybe I'll go bare bottom then. I like my rocks. I'm sure I'll like them till I try to grow corals, and want to change everything.

I just did a 10 gallon water change. I'll check my levels tonight. With LPS, I should be able to move everything over immediately .. right? I'll probably do some GSP first, small piece, and see if I can keep it. Then if that's fine I'll work it over in about a week. Not yet running a skimmer, lost the cap on the one I have in the move. It's probably somewhere on Capital Hill right now :/

I'll probably move my clowns over, but I want to add a group of schooling fish. I love Tangs, but I feel like my tank is mega small atm for one. Any recommendations for fish that would school that I could keep 8 or so of, +2 clowns? I might look into some Gobby's, Taking advice, and reasons!

A few of the cardinals like the glass will 'school'....

Youve got a fair amount of space but i wouldnt do but maybe one small tang if you decide you MUST have one...