What color to paint back of tank?

Sharkey18

I am going to paint the back of my tank this weekend.

Am going with black, unless anyone has a better idea. I am not a fan of the bright blue, but don't want to miss out on an opportunity to do something cool.

Maybe a very dark blue?

Suggestions? Pics?

Cant go wrong with Black....or like you mentioned Dark Blue might be cool. It's not like you can change it after you do it...I mean you could scrape it off and do it again :blink:

you could get vinyl in both colors and see which one you like better. that way its easier than having to scrape it off the tank.

I have black on mine.

you could get vinyl in both colors and see which one you like better. that way its easier than having to scrape it off the tank.

I have black on mine.

That is a great idea! I almost did that. I did check into it and it would have cost about $65-$80 at the local sign shop...that was the drawback.

I have black now which is always good. On my old 180, I used a blue green and darker blue spray paint with the green on top and blue at the botom with a mix shading more blue to green top to bottm.

It came out really nice looking as if the sum was coming in.

Keep in mind, it will probably get covered in alkaline after time anyways.

Black is best, gives the illusion of a larger tank. Black also makes coral and fish stand out more, and it hides algae better than blue or clear.

I had white on one tank that made the fish pop. But thinking back on it now it was kinda weird. I've seen some very pretty ones that go from a very dark blue and then lighten up higher in the tank. Just throwing those out there. I think black looks the best.

i've got black and like that for similar reasons to above, and I think it helps the fish feel sheltered when they dart to the back of the tank.

you could also look into shadow-boxes...i've seen cool threads on that on RC I think

Krylon makes mirror glass paint. This will give you illusion of a deep tank! plus you can see the behind your rocks. I was doing to do it on my 29G but was not able to get a can @ the local store (in a hurry). Ended up with silver :laugh: instead.

Used dark blue vinyl on mine, it gives the illusion of depth.