The Looking Glass

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about your tunze's. What program are you running them on? interval or pulse and what jumpers/percentages. Reason I ask is i just put in the 24v jumpers and am thinking about going back down to the 18's until the tank starts to mature a little bit, plus I have some LPS and such that doesn't like that much flow.

Question about your tunze's. What program are you running them on? interval or pulse and what jumpers/percentages. Reason I ask is i just put in the 24v jumpers and am thinking about going back down to the 18's until the tank starts to mature a little bit, plus I have some LPS and such that doesn't like that much flow.

I am running 100% full throttle.

Use the 18v and throttle to 75%.

Edited by ridetheducati

I thought this was interesting and I thought I would share...

A couple weeks ago, I was mixing salt water with my normal mixing pump Mag18. It's a great pump because its dual purpose, heater and water pump. I noticed the water temperature in the 30g mixing container was abnormally high. Normally it would keep the temperature at 78-80 degrees. This time it was 84. I could not remember the last time I dissembled the pump and cleaned the impeller. So, I decided to clean it.

Mag18Impeller_zps9792a3b5.jpg

As you can see, the impeller is gently worn. :laugh: :laugh:

The plastic sleeve has completely worn away and exposed the metal underneath. The pump is probably 10 years old and I may have replaced the impeller once. All the pump does is mix salt and pump water during water change. I have an Eheim 1262 ready to replace the Mag 18 while I order a new impeller. Now I need to find a heater for my mixing container.

They will be ready in 3-4 weeks. The Blue face will be ready in 1-2 weeks, but since I am introducing them together he has to wait until the Imperator is ready.

Both fish are doing well, Blueface is rated an eight, and the Imperator is rated a seven.

Edited by ridetheducati

Interesting year end story to tell about the Blue Face Angelfish in quarantine, so bare with me...

I was feeding the BF and the BF swam and ate the food as usual with vigor. I walked by the QT several times observing the fish eat and swim about. Stopped to look and watch the BF chase a piece of Nori floating in the tank. The Nori was floating towards the heater that is in the corner of the tank. The BF eats the Nori and the BF violently twitched and floated upside down, eyes fixed, fins out, and no gill movement. I stood there with my jaw hanging open and said, "What just happened". At this point, the BF was stiff as board. I unplugged the heater and reached in the tank with my hand and removed the BF thinking it was dead and placed him in a five gallon bucket with water. I needed to know what happened, so I began to inspect the BF. The fish is floating upside down in the bucket, I see one fin move. I began agitating the water to get water moving across the gills, another fin begins to move. Fish mouth and eyes begin to move. Shortly, the fish has enough strength to swim in a counter clock-wise direction, albeit, upside down.

Fifteen minutes later, the fish continues to swim upside down and breathing hard. I continue to agitate the water because I did not have time to find an air pump. The BF begins to swim right side up and in different directions. Stopped agitating the water and started to investigate the QT. Heater must be bad. I promptly removed the heater and replaced with a spare. Added activated carbon to the tank because I had no idea whether something weird is in the water. I plan to do a 20% water change in the next 24 hours.

Thirty minutes into the situation, I put the BF back into the QT with the lights out to reduce stress. The fish is swimming around like its a new enclosure, testing each corner. Swimming very strong now.

Plan to check on him several times over the next few hours. Need to get ready for the New Year's Party. I did not have a grounding probe on my quarantine tanks. I have one somewhere, need to find them.

Wow, what a way to end the year in the reef world.

A darn Petco heater. I do not have a multi-meter at the moment.

Stick your tongue in the bucket or something else sensitive and see if it tingles. 8)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this usefull post Tony. I'm in the process of setting up a 200 DD and was assuming I'd need 4 of these fixtures. This confirms it.