The Looking Glass

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, fuzzy math. Received about 200 small Ceriths and I ordered 50.

That's John, I just placed an order to ship on Monday for 50 florida cerith, I didn't really like the small ones when I ordered although my wrasses loved them...lol, also ordered 50 nassarius and 30 sm/md nerite. Got lots of extras last time I ordered. The guy at reeftopia counts everything almost exactly.

The bulbs are 15" from the surface. My goal is to get at least 200 par on the sandbed for a 30"x30" area. I am trying to get my hands on a Lumenmax Elite to compare par readings. The LA3 are good but the Elites are better in each category, spread and intensity.

The bulbs are 15" from the surface. My goal is to get at least 200 par on the sandbed for a 30"x30" area. I am trying to get my hands on a Lumenmax Elite to compare par readings. The LA3 are good but the Elites are better in each category, spread and intensity.

Here is an excellent article comparing the Lumenmax Elite, Lumenarc III, Lumenbrite III, and the Lumenmax (large). The one I want to try is the Lumenmax (large). I have extra Lumenbrite III's in my closet, if you want to borrow them. I have 2 extras just sitting there.

The light is more evenly dispersed with the hammered finished. Every little dimple bounces the light back at different angles so it isn't pinpointed or focused like the mirrored type. I think the mirrored type does have a slightly higher level of reflectivity but the disperal of the hammer finish is worth it.

The light is more evenly dispersed with the hammered finished. Every little dimple bounces the light back at different angles so it isn't pinpointed or focused like the mirrored type. I think the mirrored type does have a slightly higher level of reflectivity but the disperal of the hammer finish is worth it.

+1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE, 12-14-2012

Recently acquired a 5" Blue Face Angel and 6" Imperator. Excellent condition and eating Nori. Both are currently undergoing my quarantine process, which consists of Formalin, Metro, Prazi, and Copper. The process normally takes 4-6 weeks. The Blue Face was purchased two weeks ago and has completed treatments of Metro and Prazi. The plan is to introduce both Angels to the main display simultaneously to avoid over aggression. This tactic is used when adding several Tang fish.

The tank is doing well and coral colors are returning, they browned out during the transition. A couple more weeks, the tank should be ready for the growing season.

If you have Sunlight Supply ballasts I can bring one of my Lumenmax Elite reflectors down so you can get some PAR readings on it. All of my pendants have the standard Sunlight Supply plug on them since I'm using the Blue Wave ballasts.

Update - December 16, 2012

Administered first of two dosages of Prazi and Metro to the Imperator a couple days ago. Within 10 minutes, parasites begun to raise and fall off the Imperator. The Imperator continued to swim around but at a slower pace and his appetite was subdued, but still eating Nori and other foods. Today, the final Prazi/Metro dose will be administered.

Additionally, the Blue Face will begin the 14 day Copper regimen.

Each day I evaluate each fish in quarantine and give them a rating from 1 - 10.

Rating 1 - 5: Fish requires immediate attention (not eating, obvious physical trauma, etc)

Rating 6 - 8: Continue to monitor swimming, eating, and complete medication regiment

Rating 9 - 10: Ready to be moved to main display (Strong,Fat and happy)

Today's ratings: Blueface: 8 Imperator: 6

Edited by ridetheducati

If you have Sunlight Supply ballasts I can bring one of my Lumenmax Elite reflectors down so you can get some PAR readings on it. All of my pendants have the standard Sunlight Supply plug on them since I'm using the Blue Wave ballasts.

Evaluating the reflectors is not a priority at the moment, but may revisit down the road. In the near term, I will borrow a PAR meter to see what I am working with specifically in the 24" - 36" area. The tank is 36" wide.

Would love to hear more about your QT process. What meds you administer and when. Water changes in between. Are they in QT together or in separate tanks. Love the rating system. I have a 34g QT and I sometimes wonder if I am causing more trouble than preventing.

My quarantine system:

1. Quarantine tank(s): two 10 gallon glass aquariums for most small and medium sized fish. For larger fish a 30 gallon aquarium. One fish per tank. Schooling fish like Anthias are kept together.

2. Heater: small submersible heater.

3. Thermometer: mercury-in-glass thermometer.

4. Filtration: Aqua Clear HOB filter Model 50 per tank

5. Test kits: Seachem Ammonia Alert and a copper test kit.

6. Medications: Praziquantel, Metronidazole, Maracyn Two, and Cupramine.

7. Shelter: (1) Four inch PVC "T" or sanitary tee, I prefer the sanitary tee, per tank.

8. Light: Any light to see the fish eyes and body well.

9. Salt: Always have enough salt water and RODI water for emergencies.

10. Temperature: 80 - 82 degrees

11. Salinity: 1.023 - 1.025

1. I always keep several bags of Fluval Biomax filter media in the sump of the main display to seed the QT, especially if I make an impulse buy.
Note: once the media leaves the sump it never returns.

2. Day one: add new fish to the QT tank with lights out and do not attempt to feed.

3. Day two: medicate with Prazi and Metro, always follow manufacturer instructions.

· Prazi - treats flukes, tapeworms and flatworms

· Metronidazole - dewormer. intestinal protozoan infections.

4. Week 1, Day seven, perform a 25 to 50% water change with new saltwater.

5. Week 2, Day eight, begin Cupramine medication after the water change.

· Cupramine is a copper-based medication and will cure fish of ich, marine velvet, external parasites, and a number of other diseases. Follow manufacturer instructions. This is particularly important for Cupramine because overdosing copper is deadly to fish. Test for copper levels to make sure you have dosed the right amount.

6. Week 4 - 5, Observe fish over the next two weeks, if you see any signs of bacterial infection such as fin rot or cloudy eyes, administer Maracyn Two.

· Maracyn Two is a broad spectrum antibiotic.

7. Week 6, Prepare to move the fish to the main display.

Fish Evaluation Criteria

Rating 1 - 5

Fish requires immediate attention (not eating, obvious physical trauma, etc)

Rating 6 - 8

Continue to monitor swimming, eating, and complete medication regiment

Rating 9 - 10

Ready to be moved to main display (Strong,Fat and happy)

Additional notes: During the entire quarantine process, make sure you are testing for ammonia and measuring specific gravity daily. Top off the water as needed and perform water changes if ammonia levels begin to rise to dangerous levels. Never add neutralizers like Amquel or Seachem Prime to detoxify ammonia because they can greatly increase the toxicity of Cupramine. You will have to administer more Cupramine whenever you perform water changes; add Cupramine in gradual increments and test copper levels so you don't overdose.

Update - December 18, 2012

Imperator status:

The Imperator completed the Prazi and Metro session. Conducted a 50% water change and ran activated carbon before beginning the Cupramine session. Ich is visually apparent and today is day 1 of 14. Eating mysis, but does not want Nori. Appetite still suppressed due to Prazi and Metro. No itching, flashing or outward signs of ich related stress.

Rating: 5 (Ich)

Blue Face status:

The Blue Face is doing fantastic. Eating several foods, swimming strong, alert, and curious. No obvious signs of flatworms, flukes, or ich. Day 4 of 14 Cupramine session.

Rating: 8+

Update - December 18, 2012

Imperator status:

The Imperator completed the Prazi and Metro session. Conducted a 50% water change and ran activated carbon before beginning the Cupramine session. Ich is visually apparent and today is day 1 of 14. Eating mysis, but does not want Nori. Appetite still suppressed due to Prazi and Metro. No itching, flashing or outward signs of ich related stress.

Rating: 5 (Ich)

Maybe you should let it eat for a few days before starting the copper treatment as that is also an appetite suppressant.

What happened to only doing frags? Did you save some bigger corals or something?

There are a few corals from the old setup. All the colonies were sold and I had a few frags growing out for the new setup. I suppose the largest is the Tort in the back, 4 inches tall.

Maybe you should let it eat for a few days before starting the copper treatment as that is also an appetite suppressant.

I thought about it. If he was not eating I would have waited several days before starting the copper. He is eating, but not with that gusto that Angels possess. I am monitoring his girth as well.