The Looking Glass

Can you expand on how you calculated your dosing requirements? Is it anything similar to this calculation?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849007

If so, my head will continue to hurt.

I have read that the amount of KNO3 we would dose to raise NO3 to 2 to 5ppm is so little that there is very little risk in raising K to a level we should be concerned with. I assume that's your theory too since you also dose K separately?

How are you spreading out your dosing requirements?

Where did you get your K? I found this:

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/potassium-nitrate.html

I've also read that sump remover at HD or Lowes works too.

Thank you.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Spectracide Stump Remover from Home Depot.  For my system, I use six grams to raise nitrates 2 ppm.  Keep in mind, I have approximately 290g of actual water in my system.  Six grams is basically one teaspoon.  To maintain 5 ppm, I dose two teaspoons every day and test nitrates and phosphates.  When phosphates begin to drop I stop dosing KNO3.  I use Salifert Nitrate and Hanna Phosphate.  

For your system, start with (.5) grams and test.  KNO3 is potent, DO NOT overdose.

I only had to dose three days before phosphates began to drop.  Scheduled to test Phosphates today to make sure both nutrients are continuing to drop.  If phosphates are going back up and nitrates are zero, I will start dosing nitrates again.

I use Spectracide Stump Remover from Home Depot.  For my system, I use six grams to raise nitrates 2 ppm.  Keep in mind, I have approximately 290g of actual water in my system.  Six grams is basically one teaspoon.  To maintain 5 ppm, I dose two teaspoons every day and test nitrates and phosphates.  When phosphates begin to drop I stop dosing KNO3.  I use Salifert Nitrate and Hanna Phosphate.  

For your system, start with (.5) grams and test.  KNO3 is potent, DO NOT overdose.

Appreciate the response. Do you dilute the KNO3 before dropping them into your tank? From your response, it doesn't sound like it but my reading suggests most do dilute.

I have 0 NO3 on Salifert and just got the Hanna ULR for this process. I just need to be confident in it. Thanks!

Appreciate the response. Do you dilute the KNO3 before dropping them into your tank? From your response, it doesn't sound like it but my reading suggests most do dilute.

I have 0 NO3 on Salifert and just got the Hanna ULR for this process. I just need to be confident in it. Thanks!

Dilute in one cup of RODI water. It dissolves very quickly, very little stirring required.

From the omniverse.

I have undetectable nitrates on salifert. Completely clear with ZERO pink tint. http://www.lowes.com/pd_188198-316-HG-66420_0__?productId=4764059 is what you use? I would literally use a spoon the size of a salifert spoon prob for 20gal of water?

That is the product. Not a heaping spoon, a level spoon.

From the omniverse.

Dosing nitrates. I learn something new everyday in this hobby.

Dilute in one cup of RODI water. It dissolves very quickly, very little stirring required.

From the omniverse.

Thanks for the information!

Looks great bro! I would love to come by and see the tank in person some day, let me know if that's an option! I could bring the nice camera and try to get some good macro shots if you want.

Anytime.  You might recognize two corals. A Becker Tort and an Acro (Green and Blue) that you described as losing color when moved.

When I come by I will bring Amanda and her macro lens with the top down box if you want. If the acro is the bad azz it does table in thick branches but also brows upwards. I am looking forward to cutting frags of all my stuff and re growing them once I add more flow. I never had anything that looks like the Becker tort, at least from the reef farmers page. I am not exactly sure what you picked up from me but I will look and see what they are. The only tort I had was the Bennett tort, maybe that multicolor austera. But I am sure you know the difference.

Hands down to your ability to carbon dose and use the nitrate powder to bring phosphates down. I am going to try this method again once I get a large tank. When my corals started to Stn I kept blaming other changes I was making because I wanted the carbon dosing to work so bad, meanwhile Amanda would daily tell me "stop using the vinegar thats all it is!" Hahahaha... Think I am pretty smart but then she always chips in and makes me feel dumb... I have the feeling going to see your system, if the both of you are there I might not be able to stay long before I feel dumb!

I did not finish cutting and mounting the other half of the coral because I ran out of glue.  Task for tomorrow along with water change.  The frags that you see above are at least 2 inches, mounting plugs are 1.25" diameter.  

I just wanted to say thank you Tony for allowing me to visit the Looking Glass build. I must say Tony has achieved the art of aqua artistry in his selection of SPS and maintaining them in a manner that allows them to reflect their true essence as seen in the wild that attracts us Reefers to them in the first place. I have been in this hobby a long time and it pleases me to see some tried and true practices still at work in the hobby today, and so close to my home for the pickings :laugh: . Great reefer , seller and hope to be long time friend. Seller is an over statement with the quality of the frags and the price I would really consider them a gift. In addition I hope to be able to buy frags for him to grow out for my build in the future. Call it babysitting. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...