The Looking Glass

Added salt and began building the reef. There will be two main structures, the first extend left to right on an angle and terminated at the blue vertical tape on the right. Also, because of the angle of this picture, the structure will not go above the bottom horizontal tape. The bottom tape is 9" from the bottom and the top tape is 15". The total viewing panel is 24". Sand will be added after the aquascaping is complete.

aquascape1.jpg

aquascape2.jpg

aquascape3.jpg

aquascape4.jpg

aquascape5.jpg

aquascape6.jpg

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

although i can't see the pics at this time, have you checked your gate valves to see how far you had to close them to achieve full siphon? I am currently running a 1262 with a 1.5" herbie and my gate valve is closed almost 90% of the way. I just upgraded to a reeflo blowhole that I am going to hook up this weekend. It just made me nervous with the gate valve almost completely closed.

My gate is about 90% closed. Are you getting the BH1450? I considered the Blowhole, but it's external only. I have my eyes on the Water Blaster 10,000.

My gate is about 90% closed. Are you getting the BH1450? I considered the Blowhole, but it's external only. I have my eyes on the Water Blaster 10,000.

I didn't like the fact that the valve was already 90% closed. If something got in there, i would easily clog. If i kept the 1262, i would have to constantly check the gate valve to make sure that nothing was growing in there.

I actually went with the BH2700. They just came out with them and I got one of the first models. The main reason i got it was the three different settings. the low setting is around 800 GPH at 6' of head, middle is around 1400 GPH at 6' and the high is 2200 or so. I didn't want to get the 1450 since i would have probably had it maxed out. This way, im hoping i can use the middle setting and once the tank grows in during the next few years, i could always turn the flow up more with a flip of the switch.

This is my first external pump. I had to drill my sump for an extra hole, but that went ok, just glad it was acrylic and not glass. Hopefully will have it running this weekend. I was looking at the waterblaster, but it wouldn't fit in my sump, so if Im not happy with the blowhole, i might go with that one since i already have the hole drilled.

Edited by epleeds

I didn't like the fact that the valve was already 90% closed. If something got in there, i would easily clog. If i kept the 1262, i would have to constantly check the gate valve to make sure that nothing was growing in there.

I actually went with the BH2700. They just came out with them and I got one of the first models. The main reason i got it was the three different settings. the low setting is around 800 GPH at 6' of head, middle is around 1400 GPH at 6' and the high is 2200 or so. I didn't want to get the 1450 since i would have probably had it maxed out. This way, im hoping i can use the middle setting and once the tank grows in during the next few years, i could always turn the flow up more with a flip of the switch.

This is my first external pump. I had to drill my sump for an extra hole, but that went ok, just glad it was acrylic and not glass. Hopefully will have it running this weekend. I was looking at the waterblaster, but it wouldn't fit in my sump, so if Im not happy with the blowhole, i might go with that one since i already have the hole drilled.

Try running the water level 1-2" above the main Herbie drain. Based on the design of the Herbie, most gate valves will be closed quite a bit. I plan to use strainers on my drains and open the gate fully every couple months.

I wanted to go with a 1" drain in the beginning which would have been fine with the 1262. Probably 70% closed. But 90% kinda scares me a little being in the living room. I'm just hoping that the blowhole will have the perfect amount of flow on the middle setting.

It appears one of my Tunze 6100's has died. I cannot complain since its 8 yrs old. The driver alarm is constant and I cleaned the unit very thoroughly. Back to Premium Aquatics to order a replacement.

have you tried contacting Roger on the Tunze forum on RC. You could send it to him and see if he could fix it. Might save you a few bucks. He is really good at taking care of people.

When designing this style of overflow, it's best to ensure the backup drain can handle 100% of the overflow volume if necessary. That way you don't need to worry if the gate valve gets clogged. The way I do mine is to size the siphon drain pipe to carry 95% of the water without a valve, or a valve that is only closed a small amount. For the flow rates mentioned here, 1/2" PVC will probably carry this much (remember, full siphon at 5' head pressure). Then, use the larger 1.5" or 2" backup drain to handle the small amount that the 1/2" does not carry. If something plugs the 1/2" main siphon drain, the 2" will handle all of the flow even with air in it. A round 1/2" pipe is far less likely to clog than the thin crescent opening of a gate plunger 90% closed. But an astrea snail will do either every time :)

When designing this style of overflow, it's best to ensure the backup drain can handle 100% of the overflow volume if necessary. That way you don't need to worry if the gate valve gets clogged. The way I do mine is to size the siphon drain pipe to carry 95% of the water without a valve, or a valve that is only closed a small amount. For the flow rates mentioned here, 1/2" PVC will probably carry this much (remember, full siphon at 5' head pressure). Then, use the larger 1.5" or 2" backup drain to handle the small amount that the 1/2" does not carry. If something plugs the 1/2" main siphon drain, the 2" will handle all of the flow even with air in it. A round 1/2" pipe is far less likely to clog than the thin crescent opening of a gate plunger 90% closed. But an astrea snail will do either every time :)

I'm doing the math to get flow for 5 feet drop of 1/2" schedule 40 PVC (0.622" inside diameter) and before friction or turbulence I get 1018 gal/h (can show my work if someone is interested). Have you seen something approaching that from a full siphon 1/2" drain?

I'm doing the math to get flow for 5 feet drop of 1/2" schedule 40 PVC (0.622" inside diameter) and before friction or turbulence I get 1018 gal/h (can show my work if someone is interested). Have you seen something approaching that from a full siphon 1/2" drain?

Here is a quick input calculator:

http://www.beananima...e-aquarist.aspx

I get 1019... haha

Edited by BowieReefer84

Yes, that is very close to what I've observed. You won't get quite that due to friction loss from any bends. Also ID on sch40 varies a bit. The OD is what has tight tolerance.

Yes. I will continue to use 400w Metal Halides.

Cool. Looking forward to seeing the lighting photos once you get them hung. Are you concerned that the reflectors will cover an area more like 2'x2' (like in your old tank), and not cover the extra depth of the DD (ie a 2'x3' area)? I am not sure how you could fix that though, besides hanging the reflectors higher than the old tank, or not placing any SPS near the front and back of the tank I suppose?

The Lumenarc 3 large reflectors can cover a 3x3 area with 200 par on the sandbed. In the past, I used two reflectors to cover a 6' x 2' area and had plenty of light spill. The reflectors were 12" from the water surface. Changing the bulb orientation to parallel with the tank length will ensure I get adequate coverage front to back.

Awesome. Sorry for so many questions. Soon enough I hope to get my own 300g DD and I'll likely copy everything you're doing. I can only imagine how amazing your 300g DD will look in a few years when you have all of those massive SPS colonies filling it up.

Looks fun, are you starting over with frags or small colonies?

Frags only.

BTW, stayed up late last night working on the aquascaping. Eight hours later, and I am happy with the outcome. Will post pix after I add the sand and finish hanging the lights.

Holding containers for 200lbs of live rock. I ended up using 100lbs of this rock and an additional 80lbs of BRS live rock.

liverockholdingarea.jpg

Aquascape nearing completion.

aquascape90.jpg

aquascape90b.jpg

Holding tanks for fish and frags.

tempholdingtanks.jpg

Managed to hang two of three Metal Halides; plan to finish tomorrow.

lightmount1.jpg

lightmount2.jpg

lightmount3.jpg

Overall the build is moving along as expected. Next week, I will bring the calcium and activated carbon reactors online and begin cable management. Also, I need to start thinking about completing the stand and install hidden doors.