My 220 gallon rebuild

MBVette

aw man nice progress...looking really good

very nice rockwork as well, might have to give some marco rocks a try here soon.

congrats on getting it back up so quickly im sure the kids will love the final outcome

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

I used a lot of marco rock to start up the last tank. The rock is great, very porous and super easy to stack. If you want to start with dry rock I would highly recommend using them.

So I just turned on my biopellet reactor, skimmer, swabbie, and carbon reactor. I figure this is a good time to basically cycle the skimmer and that is fed straight off of the biopellets, and the carbon should start really clearing up this sand thats left in the water. Surprisingly everything turned one easily and seems to be working.

Looking at this graph I dont think I am going to have much of an issue with high temp's with this tank. I have all of the reactors running right now and the lights were on for about 6 hours yesterday; and as soon as the heaters turn off the temp drops right back down. At least so far it seems I can avoid the cooling fan fire that was the demise of the last tank.

temp.jpg

I took this a little while ago, and the tank is crystal clear now. Then I went looking for my ammonia test kit and I cant find it so Im going to have to go pick one up. Is there any other way to test for the cycle?

Just test for nitrites. Once you see nitrites on a test kit you know the ammonia is being converted. Once the nitrite levels peak and then go away then the bacteria has processed it into nitrate and the cycle is complete. Completed atleast for the available amount of ammonia you had in the system. When adding fish the bacteria will need to adjust the population levels so you may again see another small short rise in levels.

Today I have been working on cord management and trying to clean some things up; which is difficult in a small space and some of these cords have a few feet of excess that I have to try and bundle up.

But I am running into a problem with the transformers for the lights (and probably the MP40's but have not gotten to them yet) My plan was to velcro them to the wall, but the heat on the transformer melts the glue for the velcro backing and they fall off. Any ideas where to put the transformers or how to mount them onto the wall?

• 2 weeks later...

This is normally caused when the swing type check valve is placed too low in the system, normally just above the sump. The bouncing water level above the check valve hammers the valve some but the main reason is normally the bouncing water level in the sump which causes the valve to bounce and let more water in which cause another bounce. You could turn it horizontally which might help but the best bet is to move it up higher in the system. Can you post another shot of the valve in relation to the sump?

(edited)

You can see in the pic that it is well above the sump, it is just below where the two return lines split.

checkvalve.jpg

Dont mind the cloudiness, I am just adding a little sand to the sump and when I thought I rinsed it well enough I obviously didnt.

Edited by MBVette

So I just played around with it a bit. After I turn the return pump off the check valve bounces. But if I turn the valve that controls the return off obviously it stops since there is nowhere for the water to go. But if I open the valve back up, the bouncing does not restart, the check valve remains closed. So it only happens if the pump goes off, but not if I just shut the valve. Does that help any?

Does it bounce for awhile and then stop closed or just keeps bouncing? Doing an internet search brings this up as a common problem with the swing type check valve. Most people switched to the wye type that BRS sells or changed it from vertical to horizontal to stop the problem. Is a check valve really needed?

It keeps going. I think that the sump would get pretty darn near full if I dont have a check valve. I can let it go and see where it winds up before the siphon breaks

If you are going to move plumbing around, I'd try to get rid of the check valve. Just one more part to fail and cause problems- $7 fan, $5 check value...

When I get a chance I will try shutting the pump off and letting it drain to see if I the sump can hold the water. If it can, I will just cut the check valve out. As it is, it doesnt hurt anything it just makes some noise and is worthless as a check valve.

Your sump should hold the volume Scott, but per its specs it will certainly be close so definitely keep an eye as you test it. If it doesn't, but comes close...had you thought about modding your return lines to drill a siphon break hole in the top of the lines so that your drain out from that side is reduced thereby definitely giving you enough space in the sump for your drain out?

I wouldn't remove it, I would fix it. Redundancy is a good thing, not a bad thing. (make sure sump can handle overflow, holes in return pipe, check valve, etc.)

Im going to try change the way the locline is situation so that one of the sections comes up over the waterline. If I can get it situation like that, the siphon break should be pretty quick and nothing else will really matter.

I was planning on keepin gthe tank between 77-78 using the apex; but from what I was seeing every 2 hours the tank would cool down that full degree and then take 2 hours and heat back up. So I change the temp range to be 77.5-78* now, and now the heaters cycle on for 30 minutes then off for 30 minutes. Will it cause a problem that I cant keep a constant temperature for any period of time? I cant imagine its a big deal, to continually cycle .5* but just wanted to check.

temp-1.jpg

So I just got the first renderings from the cabinet guy and Im not sure I like it. Im just looking for your $.02.

Dont worry about the color of the wood it is not correct, and it has to be a specific color. Im just talking about the layout of the doors and the panels.

cabinet.jpg