My 220 gallon rebuild

MBVette

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt have a connection that would have been able to hook up to the return laying around. I am just about empty outside of about 1/2" in all the chambers and I am just going to leave it. With the water volume in the system that little bit is not going to make a big enough deal for me to bother fighting to get it out.

I am filling it up for real tomorrow, so I am going to be putting the sand into the tank shortly. I need to figure the aquascape out, but I dont see how I will be able to do it before the fill. (I get my water delivered since I dont have a place to make and store a large amount of water here) So I need to be ready to go by mid day tomorrow.

Is your rock already live and teaming with critters?

If not, why don't you just put down some egg crate on the tank bottom and work it out while still dry before the water? Besides...depending on your intended population you will prob want your rock in before your sand anyway so you don't have any critters cause a rock slide on you.

I put sand in already and am going to start working on the layout.

It is all dry rock so I can put it in at any time, it is just easier before I put the water in. With the 30" deep tank I have to go swimming to work on the bottom of the tank so I would perfer to do it now.

ok so here is the aquascape. I put the sand down, then I used the marco rocks "prime cuts" as the base of each section so it sat perfectly flat on the sand with a very wide base. I still have 5 boxes of rock and 1 box of sand left, lol.

scape3.jpg

scape2.jpg

scape1.jpg

Nice scape!!

Thanks. All I really wanted to do was to make sure I have a lot of open area for swimming. In the last tank I had a wall and just grew to really hate it (I was about to tear it all down before the fire) so this time I made sure to keep it pretty open so I can enjoy the fish some more.

So I just placed the 3 MP40's and I did wound up putting two of them on the overflow wall. I decided to start this way b/c of the way the rock is situated I cant place an MP40 to close to the back on the return side b/c it will shoot right into that rock column. So I guess we will see how this works out with 2 MP40's on the overflow and 1 on the return side to start.

So I got the lights up this morning and the wires are going to be an issue. I cant fit the transformer behind the tank since there is no room, and the cord is not long enough to reach the sides of the tank. Any ideas on either where I can get a longer one of those cords or what I should do to secure and hide those cables?

lights.jpg

ok just swapped out the cables for longer ones that I had on some computers around here, and that makes me much happier. I didnt want those transformers over the tank, that would lead to nothing good.

Doesn't look like he has much to think about til he gets something to grow under them :) They sure do make that foggy haze look awesome, imagine how cool they will make corals look! Nah, but its looking slick good job man.

Kind of hard for me to say at this point since my tank is still cloudy from the sand.

But it looks like the build quality is really nice, and through the fog it seems to get light to te bottom of my 30" deep tank.

Now I don't plan on keeping sps so I don't need real high par. But I will keep a review going as I move forward for you.

The only other thing I can add. I let a friend borrow one of them wrote input out them up and he said he thinks they are about equal to a 259w halide

Its clearing up finally, I think in another day the last bit of sand should settle down. but when I turn the MP40's on they might start another storm.

clearingup.jpg

and yes there are fish stickers on the front of the tank. haha

The kids love it, but some of the parents like it more.

Usually around halloween we put the spider web stuff around the tank and do a few other things in the area so we have fun with the area.

Adam, its just scotch tape, so I dont think its going to be an issue.