My 220 gallon rebuild

MBVette

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those bubble traps look very tall, it seems as if you equipment will need to be raised with stands...I hope your top-off section never busts a seam...

If you go fuge, don't see a need for the biopellets, so that should free up one reactor...

So I can fit one of the reactors w/ the return, so I could use the fuge. So if I setup a fuge I wont need to run the biopellets?

So I think I have the sump layout. 1st chamber will be the 3 1.5" pipes from the overflow, the skimmer and I can fit the biopellet reactor in there, 2nd chamber a fuge, 3rd chamber will be the return and the carbon reactor. So I can think of two odd things with the flow, let me know what you think.

1st. The flow of the sump.

So the water is going in the first and will flow straight through till it hits the return pump. From the pump it will split to the reactors and the display. The carbon reactor will just feed straight back into the return chamber. The water that splits to the biopellet reactor will then move into the protein skimmer and act as the pump there for the skimmer. Does this sound ok?

2nd I will need to raise up the two reactors about 6" what should I have them sit on to raise them up this amount.

I just attached a really crappy drawing of how it is layed out w/ the flow of everything.

crappydrawing-1.png

Thats pretty sweet, I will definitly think about that setup when hanging my lights. Though I have a feeling Im going to change the way they hang about a dozen times before I am happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Picked up my tank last night, now I am going to start plumbing and hopefully get a water test done on friday.

tank3.jpg

Edited by MBVette

just for a safety backup, put a plastic hose clamp over the hose barbs. I have seen them over time come off.

Yeah, I dont like how the hose is on those barbs, I cant get them to slide very far up. I am going to get a clamp or just find different barbs, not sure yet.

Nice looking tank! After seeing yours I feel like waiting another four weeks for my new one is going to kill me.

You getting a new tank or swapping out your big tank?

^wow, a little shy of 600 gallons... that's awesome!

Those are the returns, I just had the bulkheads out at that moment.

All the flow is being pushed right to left, and nothing will be on the back wall. I will have those 2 returns and 2 MP40's on that wall.

Either I have a sick mind or this looks like something that shouldnt be in the lobby of a childcare center. But this has the bulkheads in so you can see more of the plan on that side.

tank4.jpg

Yeah, I dont like how the hose is on those barbs, I cant get them to slide very far up. I am going to get a clamp or just find different barbs, not sure yet.

use a hair drier to warm up the hose, it should soften and you will be able to slide them up higher. Be careful not to melt them too much.

AHHHH Likey!

so your going to have those AND MP40s on the same side? not opposing? hhrrmmm lots of flow going to the overflows, lol

There is actually going to be 1 other MP40 opposing the 2 of them and the returns. I need the flow moving that direction b/c of how I placed the overflow on the one side. The returns are going to be used mainly for surface skimming and agitation while the MP40's will be used for the flow.

use a hair drier to warm up the hose, it should soften and you will be able to slide them up higher. Be careful not to melt them too much.

I used my heat gun to make it more plyable, but it did not slide all the way on. But they are on far enough that I cant pull them back off, so it might be on enough. But I will get some clamps to make sure.

So I have run into my first problem with the plumbing. I am setting up a bean animal style overflow and there is no way I can get 3 elbows in there like how he says to set it up. Is there another option to do this without the elbows?

tank5.jpg

Are they threaded bulkheads? Not that it matters.

Just leave one bulkhead as is (NO FITTINGS OR PIPES). Run that as your full siphon.

Make the next one a little higher with a straight pipe and a 90" fitting to let the water "creep" into it.

Make the third one (emergency) a straight pipe at a point near the very top of the tank.

That's all you need to do. If you want to put a strainer straight into the full siphon to keep stuff out you could use one of these: http://www.marinedep...IFTSTMP-vi.html

How deep is that overflow? It looks pretty shallow, which might make things a little harder but should be fine.

Goodluck!

Edited by BowieReefer84

they are slip bulkheads, so no threads. I figured I could do it that way, but just wanted to double check to see if it would be an issue. The overflow is a bit shallow, but there will be enough room to make that work.

ok just dry fitted that and it worked. The 90* bend sits just over 2" at its lowest point, and the straight pipe is 4.5" high and leaving about 1.25" above that to the top of the overflow. You think that will work?