Mike's 115gal tank

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not having ever tested calc, mag, or alk... AND knowing my nitrates are 20 and not caring is such a good feeling!

lol nice stuff!!

• 4 weeks later...

Things are looking good Mike...keep up the good work.

Thanks Henry. I need to check back in on your build.

I see the ceiling held... Looks great... Now its time for more corals.

Yea, used two of these http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202982713/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=drywall+anchor&storeId=10051#.UPHICW872Ag

Yea. SPS corals.

HAHAHA... First I want a few fish.

Mike - Not too much over on my build...I recently got a new wrasse (Orange Back Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis) ...now just waiting for QT to be over.

• 1 month later...

Tank is still kicking along with a bluethroat trigger. It's had a rough start, but is looking good now. Even follows me around the front of the tank wanting to be fed. Nitrates stay around 0-5 on my api test kit, so that's good. No visable algae either.

Hoping to get some coralline growth in the next few months. Might even just use some purple up just because.

Thinking to add another fish in the next month, but need to decide what would be a good second addition.

Hoping to get some coralline growth in the next few months.

With coralline means more glass cleaning duty. I'm actually starting to like a tank with no coralline.

Do you plan to put a screen over the tank?

I made a large one that would fit as a single piece. However, not realizing how much integrity it would lose when I cut out the section for the return over tank that was a bust...

Still thinking how to make a cover that looks nice. Any ideas? I have two cords and the return over the back of the tank...

YES, built one today with the dremel and eggcrate. I went with white to reflect the most light down into the tank. My eyes can't tell a difference with or without it, so I am happy with that.

8495700745_bac2425794_z.jpg

20130221_191115 by mteske1, on Flickr

8496805988_2ac5dd1a18_z.jpg

20130221_185220 by mteske1, on Flickr

Ignore the white balance, it is actually quite white and bright in the room.

I made a large one that would fit as a single piece. However, not realizing how much integrity it would lose when I cut out the section for the return over tank that was a bust...

Still thinking how to make a cover that looks nice. Any ideas? I have two cords and the return over the back of the tank...

screen kit?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1810/

works for a fish only tank. as the fish healed yet?

The fish is healing very well. He didn't like the tank cover though, and hid last night. I would say his bottom fin is back 95% and top fin is back 85%. I think 2 more weeks and it will be 100% healed.

Yea, I have seen those (Lowes sells all that stuff). However, with the over the top return and the two powercords it wouldn't sit flush. I tried cutting out openings and the screen basically collapsed. I like the eggcrate better. Maybe I can get a par meter and check if there is a difference.