Loco's 59g rimless tank build

Could they be pods? http://reefnutrition.com/tigger_pods.php

The bad "red bugs" live on acros, and I doubt you would not see them on your glass. If you have actual acro eating red bugs you can use Bayer to get rid of them.

READ THIS: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965880

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...just make sure your getting a lot of aeration since you have to take your skimmer offline...

Will do....

Could they be pods? http://reefnutrition.com/tigger_pods.php

The bad "red bugs" live on acros, and I doubt you would not see them on your glass. If you have actual acro eating red bugs you can use Bayer to get rid of them.

READ THIS: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965880

Thanks Jason.  I thought of tigger pods, but I never added any.  The flatworm shouldn't kill them if they are pods, right?

Just found this thread.  Happy to see another Zeovit user in the area!  I'm actually in Manassas too.  Looks like we even started our tanks near the same time.

I've had SPS in my Zeo tank 2 weeks in, and I started with dry rock, though I did cycle them in the garage for 2 months prior.  Religiously fed it Zeobak and SP.  All my corals are taking off, and my phosphates remain near 0 according to my Hanna meter.

Re: red bugs, I would be surprised if they are red bugs.  They are too small to see any details on them.  Certainly not antennae.  I agree with Jason, user Bayer to dip ALL corals going into the tank.  It knocks out pretty much every SPS save aiptasia or digitate hydroids.  Don't ask me how I know about those 2 surviving :(

wangspeed raises a good point, if you can identify the antenna on the bugs you see on the glass (without a magnifying device) I doubt they are the red bugs of acro eating fame. Trigger pods could have come in on your live rock. Do you think they might just be Amphipods? I can clearly ID parts of amphipods, when I see them on the glass. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphipoda

In fact, after looking through pics of amphipods I see some that are red in color. If so, no need to use the FWE, those (amphipods) are great to have :)

Well, I did it and I was scared!  Dosed 1 capful (75g dose) last night, before lights went out.  This morning I did a 15g wc.  No "red bugs" have been seen since dosing.  The duncan is more open than I've seen it in weeks.  Zoa and Yuma, as well as snails and both clown fish all seem fine.  Have on my calendar to redose in 2 weeks if I see more red bugs.  Keeping fingers crossed they are gone forever.   :)

Just found this thread.  Happy to see another Zeovit user in the area!  I'm actually in Manassas too.  Looks like we even started our tanks near the same time.

I've had SPS in my Zeo tank 2 weeks in, and I started with dry rock, though I did cycle them in the garage for 2 months prior.  Religiously fed it Zeobak and SP.  All my corals are taking off, and my phosphates remain near 0 according to my Hanna meter.

Re: red bugs, I would be surprised if they are red bugs.  They are too small to see any details on them.  Certainly not antennae.  I agree with Jason, user Bayer to dip ALL corals going into the tank.  It knocks out pretty much every SPS save aiptasia or digitate hydroids.  Don't ask me how I know about those 2 surviving :(

Nice to have another Manassas resident in the club.  I do dip, every coral before they go into my tank.  I have bayer on hand, but have been using Revive.  I might just start putting a drop of FWE in the container also,  next time I dip.  I've read many people do this.  

Decided to cut my SP down from 3 drops every other day to 2 drops 3x a week.  I've noticed a brown film on my glass, which is a "OD" symptom.   

Any thoughts on starting your own build thread?  Would love to see pics of your tank.....

wangspeed raises a good point, if you can identify the antenna on the bugs you see on the glass (without a magnifying device) I doubt they are the red bugs of acro eating fame. Trigger pods could have come in on your live rock. Do you think they might just be Amphipods? I can clearly ID parts of amphipods, when I see them on the glass. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphipoda

In fact, after looking through pics of amphipods I see some that are red in color. If so, no need to use the FWE, those (amphipods) are great to have :)

FWE says it won't kill amphipods,  I did dose FWE last night.  No more red bugs.  Hopefully I didn't kill anything I didn't want to.  It's all a learning curve........

Loni,

Other than what i have read above, hope everything is going well.  Have you been able to lower your PO4?  Started SP, Coral Snow, K balance and B.  Told not to start all other supplements until I bring my alk down to 7 (slowly doing it).  Other than that my corals doing well.  Have you started any SPS yet?

Hey!  Thank you again for getting the bucket of salt to me.  No, I haven't added anything to this system but 2 clowns, a yuma, duncan and one tiny 3 polyp zoa frag.  My PO4 is holding steady at .07, it's been frustrating trying to get it down under .05.  I gave in and yesterday started dosing Biomate, hoping this will help bring the PO4 down.  Once I get the PO4 down, I'll start lowering my ALK, which hoovers around 8.5.  I haven't started using the new salt, guess I should start as that should help with my ALK.  Dam, should have done the 15 gallon wc with it yesterday.... :blush:  Have you started using the salt?  How does it mix up for you?

Yep,

I have started the for two changes now.   It mixes well but have yet to measure the parameters.  Question for you.  When you replenish the zeolite, do you replace it all or do you leave half of it off?  My phosphates were down to 18ppb before the change and now after a week, it is at 67ppb.  Not sure if I am doing the zeolite change out right.  

Edited by rtsusc83

The way I understand it, your first TWO change of zeolite should be at week 4 and week 8, changing 1/2 the stones.  After that the zeolites are changed out every 6 -12 weeks (assuming your system is stable), 90% changed, with the remaining 10% put on TOP of the new zeolites in the reactor.  You also have to make sure the flow thru the reactor should be 50 – 100 gallons/hour per 1 liter of Zeovit during the first few weeks.  When my PO4 went up to .17, I had turned up the flow (not meaning to), once I turned it down, my P04 dropped to .07.    PM me if you need me to email you the ZEOvit guide.    

Any thoughts on starting your own build thread? Would love to see pics of your tank.....

I did start one but I didn't put many pics of the little frags in it. Some of them are growing like crazy though!!!

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/60730-warrens-90-gallon-zeovit-tank/

I have had a small number of frags fail but not many. Likely due to OD during dipping. I'm pretty aggressive with the Bayer.

--

Warren

(edited)

For all those following here that use Zeovit....BRS has all it's zeovit additives on sale for 25% off.  I'm going to buy the basic four again (cept SP), amino acids and Pohl's extra.  Gonna cost me a fortune...but 25% off is hard to pass up.  Just in case your in need....

Edited by londonloco

Went by IC today for water.  Yeah, they got me.  I bought a little cleaner shrimp and a small anemone.  I know, I shouldn't have, but I did.  I acclimated them this afternoon, and took literally a 100 blue pics, these are the only ones that are viewable:

Clowns:

clown2.jpg

clown1.jpg

Tiny polyps, horrible pic, sorry:

Zoos.jpg

Yuma:

yumaa.jpg

Anemone when it first hit the tank, in the middle of the rockpile:

Anem1st.jpg

Couple hours later, on the run:

Anem3.jpg

Anem2.jpg

She's now across the tank, about 20" away from where I placed her.  Whatever, not like I have a say in where she lands!

I love your clowns, they are very pretty. My RBTA's have always stuck right where I put them. However, I have a Green Long Tipped Anemone (I believe this is what it is) that just couldn't sit still. It's attached to my red scroling monti rock and I say it is what it is. They get their feet so far into rock once they've established IMO it's not worth rooting them up. Have your clowns peeked at it yet?

(edited)

Sigh, she's now at the very top of my tank, next to my return, being I have a 3 foot tank, that's way too close to my overflow for my liking.  I try to keep my hands out of my tank but once a week when I do a WC..... I'm going to be up 1/2 the night watching her, if she gets much closer to the overflow, I might have to intervene.  

Thanks for the compliment on the clowns, I really like them.  The smaller one has outstanding markings.....

Edited by londonloco

don't stay up all night and don't wait to intervene. intervene now. i tell you from experience, sir. get her into a makeshift nem basket either with some gutter guard or a simple take out container with some holes drilled in held with a suction cup or magnets until you can put a foam guard on that powerhead and better block that overflow. nems are pretty but there's some necessary steps to keeping them around.

i saw that picture of the yuma looking back and thought that was the nem you got from IC eating it's tentacles barely surviving and was about to post some serious disappointment then i read the caption correctly for the correct photo and realized my error, haha! hope it works out in the long-term - enjoy!

Eating it's tentacles!  do they really do that?  

Thanks Moniboy, about 15 mins after I wrote that post I did intervene.  She's now sitting in a small ramequin bowl on the bottom of my tank, has not moved yet.   Covering the powerhead I can handle, but I'm not sure how to solve the overflow problem.  There will always be an inch gap between the cover and the overflow.  I guess I can use eggcrate and some magnets until I figure out a better solution.  Or I could just bring her back to IC.  I broke a golden rule, NEVER impluse buy...stupid, stupid, stupid.

It sounded like you just dropped your nem into the tank?

I actually placed my nem in an area that I thought would thrive based on research and observations of other tanks (light coverage and flow and proximity to other corals) to minimize it's chances of moving...It hasn't moved since, bar an accidental bump of the rock it was on...

Take two pieces of gutter guard sandwiched together and attach them to each other with zip ties in the middle. Straddle the two pieces over the overflow and then trim the top so your cover fits back on. This is how i did mine.

Posted Image

She has a center overflow like a coast to coast...so there's nothing to attach gutter guard to.

I'd say you might need more rock :x

I think it's trying to get up higher towards the light...

It sounded like you just dropped your nem into the tank?

I actually placed my nem in an area that I thought would thrive based on research and observations of other tanks (light coverage and flow and proximity to other corals) to minimize it's chances of moving...It hasn't moved since, bar an accidental bump of the rock it was on...

Um, no, I didn't just drop the nem in my tank.  I have already determined where I want most types of corals (ric garden, zoa garden, sps here...etc) when I placed my rock in the tank.  That's all fine and good, but anemone's move to their liking, not mine.  I placed this nem in medium flow and medium lighting area.  Thanks for the "tip" tho.....

didn't meant to offend. it sounded like you plopped him in based on how you described it in your initial post. you're welcome.

Take two pieces of gutter guard sandwiched together and attach them to each other with zip ties in the middle. Straddle the two pieces over the overflow and then trim the top so your cover fits back on. This is how i did mine.

Thanks Inevo, I thought I'd make a "hat" for the overflow, using egg crate and cable ties, similar to what you did Inevo.  Hoping the water flowing into the overflow will hold it in place.  I have white egg crate out now, and just measured my overflow (18"x5"). Figured if this works, I can buy either black egg crate from BRK, which has 1/2" openings.  I googled plastic gutter guard, but can't find the dimensions of it's openings, plus the plastic gutter guard was not rigid, and I need rigid.  I guess I could use both, cable tying the gutter guard to the black egg crate, overlapping the openings to cut them in half.......  

She has a center overflow like a coast to coast...so there's nothing to attach gutter guard to.

I'd say you might need more rock :x

I think it's trying to get up higher towards the light...

Thanks Kim, I'm home all day, so when the lights come on, I can keep an eye on her.