Loco's 59g rimless tank build

Thanks Isaac....tanks are chugging along, this tank has a bad case of bubble algae and some weird wiry hair algae.  I do try to do a 10g wc weekly, and for the most weeks succeed, but I won't have time to update with pics for a few more weeks.  Thanks for checking in.........

No problem, glad you're still around!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, it's been 4 months since I've really written anything on this build.  I've been battling pests almost since day one, but I'm hanging in there:

-First I had the red bugs, my mystery wrasse solved that problem.

-Then vermetid worms, which I manually removed weekly,  I still have some, but not in epic number.

-An apatasia that came in on my clams, scraped it off the minute I saw it, over a few weeks 3 more popped up, scraped em off,  hopefully that’s the end of them.

-I noticed purple/red slimy hairy algae irritating my rics to the point they would split to get away from it.  Manually removing with a toothbrush got rid of that pest.  At least I hope it’s all gone.

-Bubble algae arrived in April, ALL over my rocks and sand bed accompanied by some weird wiry green algae.  Since we were literally gone every other week (due to a family emergency) this summer, I couldn't do weekly wc's, which didn't help at all.  Over the past few months, I stopped dosing everything Z except Zeostart but still use Zrocks, and started dosing Nualgi, which I believe has helped.  I also stopped feeding my corals, and started feeding fish every other day, LRF only, which I also think has helped.  But, having a new house sitter, I gave her flake to feed, every week I returned, part of my sand bed looked like green grass....it was so discouraging.  But since school started, I have been able to do 3 weekly wc's, and both algae's are on the decline.  I'm hoping to keep this up save one week in Oct we will be gone, again.  The bubble algae is almost 100% gone from my rocks, but I still have lots of tiny bubbles mixed with that hair algae in my sand bed.  Sucks! 

Last winter I added an algae blenny Sailfin/Algae Blenny (Salarias fasciatus) which didn’t get a long with my Bristletooth Tang, two months of “getting used to each other” the blenny lost the battle.   I added another Algae Blenny last week, and within hours the Tang was harassing the Blenny.  That same night I put the Tang in “time out” the 16gIM, just for a few days to let the Blenny “settle in” (as per Marco’s of ERC’s advice).   All the fish seemed relieved, the cardinal I’ve raised from a baby now swims the entire tank, instead of hovering in “his spot”.  The clowns which normally stayed behind the rocks are now cruising the entire tank.  My wrasse was always swimming in circles, now he has the entire tank to roam.  Realizing the tang had to go, this weekend I traded the Bristletooth for some giant paly’s.   My tank is only 3 feet in length, best for me and the Tang.  Now I need to figure out what to replace him with in a few months.  Oh, and today, after “settling in”, the blenny is picking away at my substrate, all day, which I am very happy to see  :clap: .

I hadn't bought any coral since May, didn't want to add anything while I had so much bubble/weird wire algae. I did buy 9 new corals this past week, small ones, zoa's, 2 torches, a few rics, giant palys, a beautiful Wellso and a small Platygyra.   Hopefully that will be it until after Christmas, easier said than done.

I am learning, slowly, to use the macro lens my DH bought me last Christmas.  I had my dear friend Amanda (from IC) stop by Sunday, she showed me how she shoots her tanks, I need a tripod and a UV lense for the macro.  On my shopping list .  She also and came up with a FTS for me:

60g_1Print.jpg

Nice seeing you the other day! FTS looks nice! You should try to get one looking down to really show your scapes dimension!

Great seeing you yesterday also Isaac!  Sorry to keep you so long, but I get excited when I can talk "fish", ya know..... lol

I really want to add some KP rock that I have dried out and keeping in the garage.  Once I feel the algae is under control, I will, until then, it's WC WC WC for me. 

• 2 months later...

Lol.... Okay! I am cleaning my tank finally after 3 months and thought you might need a little push :) lol (you, unlike me, keep up on your regular maintenance even in the heckticnesss of life though)

• 1 year later...

Looking great! That ric garden is to die for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. Wonder where all those came from :)

Thanks!

+1. Wonder where all those came from :)

Many from you....  :)

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
(edited)

Wow it's been over a year, tank is chugging along.   Traded away my two clowns and the Mystery Wrasse, bought 2 Wyoming Whites (I've wanted these clowns since they first came out at 6K a pair!) and a McCoskers Wrasse from Marcos and a Coral Beauty from Divers Den, kept the original Cardinalfish, added a few more corals, finally got an Elegance to live.  I have also for the past 4 months been fighting a major battle with algae, bubble, hair and byropsis.  Vibrant and Fluconazole have almost got it all gone!   It's been almost 4 years since I've completed a build, fw or sw, decided it was time, I'm upgrading this reef to a DP80g.  I plan on starting an upgrade thread (can you say steel stand....so excited!).  Of course it started out as I'll just move all the current equip over, everyone knows that is not what realllllyyyy happens! 

Below is a crappy iphone pic of the current reef. 

IMG_5348.jpg

Edited by londonloco

• 4 weeks later...

So are you going to keep this tank when you finished the upgrade to DB80g?

No, I'm going to sell the tank and stand.  I'm almost done with the upgrade, hoping to finish it this weekend.  Didn't do a build thread, just didn't have the time.....

• 2 months later...

New tank has been set up since 5/28, transfer went great, tank looks great.  Holding my breathe......

8.8.17pic.jpg

Originally thinking of adding 4-5 more fish, but everything is going so good, now thinking just 2, a algae blenny and a mimic tang.  Meh, we'll see, I'm in no rush!