Loco's 59g rimless tank build

Another question....I've read so many posts in the past few years about feeding, most feed twice a day.  I feed my fw fish once a day, granted they are all F1 or greater (I have this "thing" about taking fish out of the wild, I know, I know, but I can't shake this "thing"), I rarely have fish die, every fish is fat and happy, guppy's and rainbow's breed, fry grow up happy and healthy.  I plan on feeding my reef once a day, is this wrong? 

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i feed daily at best...sometimes i skip a day here or there..doesnt hurt anyone..

its the smaller fish that you have to keep an eye on...but no one will die from only eating one time a day, they will get used to it and it also encourages fish like tangs to eat algae...

Good to hear.  I could feed 2x a day, I work from home, so easily done.  However, I'm a firm believer we keep water first, and feeding messes with that water. 

On another note, IC has agreed to "Q for a fee" for me.  Which I LOVE......depending on the fish, I might not need a Q tank, if I feel I should Q longer, it cuts down the time I have to do daily or every other day, WC's....  which I LOVE even more.  :)

Great!  I'm pretty impressed even with the time difference it takes "G" less than 24 hours to answer me.  I was eyeing Brad's zeovit blue bottles, but never acted on them.  Let me know how it goes.  Do you have a build thread here on WAMAS?

I have two.  I have one that has been in operation for eight months and that is what I will use it for.  It is the 60 gal Reef Savvy.  I will track the progress on that build thread.  Yeah, with regards to G, I was surprised to see how fast and helpful he was.  I plan on signing up to get help and support also.  Any other Zeovit users out there?  Quantum Reef plans on stocking Zeovit products.  Stopped by there today to get stuff.

Just so you know, there is a BIG difference in a new system using Zeovit vs. an established reef changing over to Zeovit.  I'd def start a thread on the Zeovit forum, list all your equipment and what you are dosing now.  I will look up your threads and follow  :)

Be really careful starting on an existing system. You can strip the water very easily and have RTN.

Less is more with ZEO

Edited by brad908

Added two Picasso Clowns from IC yesterday.  When Don came home, I shuffled him over to the tank, all proud like, LOOK!  His first comment was "nice fish, but it's such a shallow tank, aren't you afraid they will jump".  A friggen light went off over my head...I totally forgot to put together the screen top I've had sitting in pieces in my dining room.  After dinner that was accomplished.  They were both crusing the tank when I got up this morning.  I'll try to take some horrible pics tonight, but I've got a busy 2 weeks ahead of me.....

• 4 weeks later...

They were great, fat, happy, eating, had turned into wet pets anytime I walked past the tank.  Until last night.  Walked over to throw some pellets in the tank and the smaller one was in the overflow box even tho I have both a overflow box cover and a screen top on the tank.  I literally ran across the house to get a net, when I returned seconds later it was gone.....vanished in thin air.  Don and I looked for it for several minutes, until I realized my overflow was getting REALLY loud.  I opened up the valve, taking the waterline in the overflow box down to a 1/2 inch, Don also helped me out by dumping water into the emergency drain.  We both dropped down to our knees to look into the sump, and he was there, mangled, and dead.  I had Adam from AA/IC install my bulkheads, the two syphon drains are literally 1/8th of an inch from the floor of the overflow box.  I have no idea how he could have squeezed into either drain, but he did. I guess he could have flipped up and hit the emergency drain, but the tops were both on the tank, so I'm thinking that's less likely.  I am bummed.  I need water, and planned on hitting IC today, guess I'll check out their clown selection. I also have a green clown goby they are Q for me....kinda excited to check on him also.  

My phosphates climbed up to .12, took a few weeks, but last weekend it was down to .07, so I haven't added anything, don't plan on adding much until I get get that level down below .05.  

I still only have the duncan and yuma in the tank.  The yuma is doing fine, but the duncan's tentacles went from long and flowing to short and stubby, and losing color.   I had my LED's set at 65%, I'm raising them slowly 5% a week, duncan looks better, color is actually better than ever, but the tentacles are still short and stubby.  Currently lights are at 75%, thinking this week I'll raise them to 80% and see what that brings.  I also think the WP25 I have in the tank is a lot of flow, I turned it off last night.  I def want additional flow in the tank (firm believer in more flow < algae), when I do a WC tomorrow I'll move the WP25 to a different location, see if that helps. 

I was getting a macro lens for my camera this weekend (it's my b/d, but shhhhhh, at my age I don't celebrate them anymore), but due to the gov't shutdown, that's been put on hold.  I'll post some pics later this week, been a busy couple of months.....

Yikes, sorry to hear that. Sounds like there have been some serious fish loss on the board this week. When I started my clowns in my 14 biocube, one of them constantly jumped into the back. At this stage they were so tiny that when I used to look for them, couldn't find them. They are bigger now, and in the 150, I don't believe they have trecked even halfway to the other side of the tank from their nem. Once they got a little larger, no jumping either.. knock on wood. Macro lens will be fun, and happy birthday!

Oh loni, I'm sorry to hear about the clown :(

hopefully that will be the one freak accident...and I have to say he could have easily hit the emergency drain...my big lamarcks ended up in my overflow that is only5inches wide and 3inches deep, he's is as big as the overflow almost...fish are oold, even not on purpose.

sorry to hear about the fishie...I hate when a pet dies....so sad

do you think the duncan is reacting to too much light? Maybe the ramp up is too fast instead of not enough?

Thanks u3, does suck to lose a pet......

I don't know what's wrong with the duncan.  My lights are HIGH off my tank, like 11", when I moved it directly under the lights it did come out more, and it's color improved a lot.  I'm going to try 5% higher this weekend, give it a few days, and reassess. 

Picked up another snowflake today from IC, it is tiny, about 1/4 the size of my clown.  He has really nice markings.  I kept an eye on the tank, and dam if that B didn't grab "him" by the tail and haul his butt around the tank.  I don't see any damage, but she needs to be put in time out.  She's hovering around him like a dog in heat, she better stop, or her butt is back at IC.

On a lighter note, I also picked up a very small frag of blue polyps, very pretty.  Steve thought it was a "purple people...." something, whatever, I liked the colors.  I'm dipping it now, gonna plop it in the tank in a few.  

sorry to hear about the fishie...I hate when a pet dies....so sad

do you think the duncan is reacting to too much light? Maybe the ramp up is too fast instead of not enough?

Loni,

From my own experience, my duncans have improved significantly over lower intensity levels with my AI Sol Blue.

Loni,

From my own experience, my duncans have improved significantly over lower intensity levels with my AI Sol Blue.

I no, right?  I've read that over and over on the web, they are lower light corals.  

I have ONE Apollo Reef 5000+ LED's hanging 11" from waters surface, which gives me almost 100% light coverage over my rock.  If this duncan continues to improve as I raise the light intensity, I believe it's telling me I  need to lower the lights, and in turn lower the intensity.  I would then have to change my scape.  Or buy another fixture.  

Guess this is why we take it slow on new set up.  It's all a learning curve.......

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh, I noticed red bugs on my glass yesterday.  Tiny red bugs with two "ears" sticking up on their "heads".  I have never dealt with them before, not sure what they are.  Impossible to get a pic w/the camera I have and no macro lens.  I'm gonna try FWE on them tomorrow night, and do a 25%wc on Saturday.  Kinda bummed......

Sigh, I noticed red bugs on my glass yesterday.  Tiny red bugs with two "ears" sticking up on their "heads".  I have never dealt with them before, not sure what they are.  Impossible to get a pic w/the camera I have and no macro lens.  I'm gonna try FWE on them tomorrow night, and do a 25%wc on Saturday.  Kinda bummed......

FWIW I wouldn't treat until you identify if it's red bugs or not.

It's my understanding that redbugs feed off acros, and I don't recall you having any in your tank (just a duncan and some fish, right?) If it is indeed what you think it is, the time should be two weeks, and it will eradicate because, well, no acros to eat!

I'm not positive, but I don't believe that FWE will work for Redbugs. If that is indeed the diagnosis, you would want Interceptor (disclaimer: This is a controlled substance, and buying and selling is not allowed) that being said, you will need to get it from a vet. I'm not sure if there are any other alternatives that are as effective.

Just my stance on your situation, hope it helps some!

Interceptor was a heartworm med, it's been discontinued.  If you go to petmeds.com it says "Sentinel includes the same active ingredient as Interceptor and prevents the development of flea eggs for one month."  I have liquid ivermectin here at the house, not sure how much to dose tho, or even if dosing ivermectin would hurt or help.....

I've googled, some say flatworm exit works on red bugs, some say it doesn't.  Anyone here ever use it on "red bugs on your glass?".....

I was hoping that this would put your mind at ease:

FWIW I wouldn't treat until you identify if it's red bugs or not.

It's my understanding that redbugs feed off acros, and I don't recall you having any in your tank (just a duncan and some fish, right?) If it is indeed what you think it is, the time should be two weeks, and it will eradicate because, well, no acros to eat!

Thank you Isaac, for trying to put my mind at ease.  That was very nice of you.  

The bugs seem to be increasing in numbers, not decreasing.  It won't harm my tank to use flatworm exit, will it?