Loco's 59g rimless tank build

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you end up painting the overflow box? It looks like you did in those last couple of pics.

Ya know, I googled painting overflow boxes, and read over time the paint will peel away due to running water over the box.  I ended up having AA make me one.  Love it, not only hides the ugly pipes, but keeps light out of the box giving me a cleaner box as algae doesn't grow much at all.  Adam's work is outstanding.....

So he built an acrylic casing around the whole overflow box with a lid for the top of the box? Whatever it is it looks very clean without seeing all of the plumbing like before. Everything looks to be coming along nicely.

Actually, he build a three sided cover, top and two sides.  It slides right over the box, no lid.  

Thanks for the compliment, I'm taking it real slow this time around.  Tank is 160 days old.......

Ordered 5 Nerites and 20 Nassarius from John at Reef Cleaners that came today.  Of course, John has still NOT learned how to count, I received 15 nerites and 29 Nassarius.  The Nassarius have already buried themselves.  The Nerites are still pissed off and playing dead, they all had their doors and looked healthy.  I'm sure they will perk up in a day or two.  

Ordered 5 Nerites and 20 Nassarius from John at Reef Cleaners that came today.  Of course, John has still NOT learned how to count, I received 15 nerites and 29 Nassarius.  The Nassarius have already buried themselves.  The Nerites are still pissed off and playing dead, they all had their doors and looked healthy.  I'm sure they will perk up in a day or two.  

John is the best.  Period.

He always sends you more than you ask for.  I just ordered 50 dwarf ceriths, and ill probably get 75-80 of them.

John is the best.  Period.

He always sends you more than you ask for.  I just ordered 50 dwarf ceriths, and ill probably get 75-80 of them.

Yup, he's my go to for CUC.  Nice man too!  I bet you do get 100 ceriths.........

That's awesome, I've heard great things about reef cleaners.

You should try them sometime.  My total tab was like 25$....can't beat that delivered to your door.

Glued 4 rics down to rocks, I always seem to get more glue on my hands than on the rocks!  

Later this year I'd like to try my hand at a few SPS, so I also up'd my white lights by 1%.  

A few days after I put the IT2080 out I started to get a brown film on the sand bed, nothing on the rocks, just the sand bed.  I've been trying to wait it out, but it's killing me.  I was hoping the snails I bought would help, not sure they are doing anything.  I've got a few more weeks of year end work, then I can concentrate on this tank more......

There are a few threads from the past 6 or 7 months about cyano outbreaks when switching to the evergrow LEDs from other light sources.

There are a few threads from the past 6 or 7 months about cyano outbreaks when switching to the evergrow LEDs from other light sources.

Yeah, kinda figured that was it.  I also have added rock, and started feeding corals again.  With the addition of the tang, I've been hanging a small piece of Nori daily, he's starting to fatten up some, so I'm going to cut back on that too.   I'm sure all that didn't help.  I'm hoping it goes away soon, thinking I might up my wc's also for awhile.  I really need to start testing, but work is getting in the way. 

I've never had this type of algae, it's not the typical red slime, it's more brown, with hair algae sticking out of it, no bubbles.  Not sure what it is, but it is ugly!

• 1 month later...

Been about a month, almost done with year end so I took a few hours to go mess with my camera.  I'm still lost!  Def need a tripod, anyone have suggestions on a good, but cheap one?  Here are a few pics:

full tank shot:

FTS.jpg

lobo and ric garden:

ricgarden.jpg

Zoa garden:

zoagarden.jpg

lobo again:

aussielobo.jpg

Black w/green tip frogspawn, it "argued" with a halloween hermit, which was stuffing it's cute face with a head of this frogspawn.  Before I figured out what was going on, lost one of it's two heads.  Hermit is in my sump, frogspawn has been trimmed, dipped and will get extra feedings w/Selcon for the next week:  EDIT:  I'd like to thank Amanda at IC for helping me determine what was wrong with this frogspawn, and guiding me thru it's recovery.   We went back and forth, texts, emails, pics, for an entire day, HER DAY OFF...she's def a keeper guys!  

blackfrogspawn.jpg

New duncan, I killed the first one, this one is doing much better...funny, I always read low flow, low light.  This one loves light and flow....to the right is my bristletooth tang trying to get in the pic:

duncan1.jpg

I've been fighting bubble algae, the tiny kind, stuff sucks.  Every week at wc time I take airline hose, pop it and suck it up.  Much better after 3 treatments.  Still some there tho.  

Since I put the WP25 back on the tank, along with the WP10, my sand is clearing up a little.   I have another WP10 coming from the ERC group buy, have to experiment with all three to see what combo I like best.  I do have both WP's aimed towards the surface, which I like. 

I'm going to stop adding corals for the next month or two, taking a road trip with Kim over to the east shore to check out Dr. Mac's next month, gonna get me a clam   :)

First I need to start testing again and see how I'm doing w/Alk and Calcium.  

I'm setting up a Nuvo16g to house a mantis, a few corals and fast swimming cheap fish, so I'm sure working on that tank will keep my hands out of this one....

Edited by londonloco

It's filled with my well water,  testing out a Tunze nano ATO, couldn't fit an Avast ATO (w/out a controller) in the back chamber. I'm waiting for my lights to come in before I order live rock from KP Aquatics.   Here's the only pic I have so far, thinking I might start a build thread once I get it wet with salt water:

mermaid2.jpg

I do like the nuevos, that should be nice!

I was a little nervous ordering it, reviews of the earlier models were not good.  Mine has been holding water for weeks now, silicone is fine, back wall is not separated from tank, etc.  I've never had an AIO, working with the back chamber is cumbersome at first, but manageable.  I'm pretty excited about it so far!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

• 2 months later...

What's the word with this? Everything must have grown in and filled up the tank by now!

• 2 months later...

Just checking in, hope you're well, and this build is still a success!

• 4 weeks later...

What's the word with this? Everything must have grown in and filled up the tank by now!

Just checking in, hope you're well, and this build is still a success!

Thanks Isaac....tanks are chugging along, this tank has a bad case of bubble algae and some weird wiry hair algae.  I do try to do a 10g wc weekly, and for the most weeks succeed, but I won't have time to update with pics for a few more weeks.  Thanks for checking in.........