Loco's 59g rimless tank build

Used to get my Ivermectin from Australia....now there is a place in TN that carries it.   If I gather up my inverts, how long until I can put them back in the tank?

I've tried to get pics, they can be seen w/my eye, but not my camera's.  

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I understand it, your first TWO change of zeolite should be at week 4 and week 8, changing 1/2 the stones.  After that the zeolites are changed out every 6 -12 weeks (assuming your system is stable), 90% changed, with the remaining 10% put on TOP of the new zeolites in the reactor.  You also have to make sure the flow thru the reactor should be 50 – 100 gallons/hour per 1 liter of Zeovit during the first few weeks.  When my PO4 went up to .17, I had turned up the flow (not meaning to), once I turned it down, my P04 dropped to .07.    PM me if you need me to email you the ZEOvit guide.    

thanks Loni.  Got a copy of the guide.  Guess I need to read it more closely.

(edited)

thanks Loni.  Got a copy of the guide.  Guess I need to read it more closely.

Your welcome!  

Tank is 90 days old today.  Both clowns are doing great, smaller one is growing nicely.  Duncan is still hanging in there, tentacles are still short and stubby, but color is good.  Yuma has grown to cover almost all of the plug it's on.  Polyp has 2 new heads on it.  I have a few very small tuff's of algae on one rock, meh, not a big deal at this point. Anemone stayed in the cup and was moved just a little closer to the center of the tank (more light) daily.  Last night she decided to move out of the cup, she is now on the side of the cup, peeking up over it.  I'm keeping an eye on her.  If she strays back to the glass, she's going back in the cup.  I'm still dosing Zeovit basic 4 and biomate.  Have some Amino Acids coming, but won't add just yet.  My P04 is still at .09, everything looks so good, I'm going to stop obsessing over it and see how the tank matures.  I was waiting til my PO4 declined to start testing Ca and Alk weekly.  I'd like to add more corals and a fish this month, I've decided to start testing Ca and Alk to my weekly maintenance.  

Edited by londonloco

Did a 10 gallon wc today.  Took the opportunity to "coax" the anemone into a shot glass:

shotglassanemone.jpg

She seems happy there......

Still have red bugs, they don't seem to hurt anything.  Maybe they are tigger pods  :why: :why:

Congrats on 90 days! I would go with Tiger Pods, without any acros to munch on, your tank is not the best fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on your 90 day! If u need some small frags to get u started lmk. Nothing fancy.

Thanks, that was a very nice offer.  I need to get rid of those flatworms before I add anything to my tank.  I'll pm you when I feel confident they are GONE.....

So...how goes it?

Well, going good, and not so good:

Anemone died, that sucked.  I take full responsibility for that one.  Replaced it with a purple tipped hammer, and Alien Eye and My Clemintine Zoe's.  I also added two dime sized Bangalli Cardinals to the tank, they are little piggies, they love black worms!  So far, everything is doing great.  

I've determined the "red bugs" are red planeria, took a few nights to google info on them (thanks for the ID Kim...vbg).  Of course, there is conflicting info on them.  Some say they feed on small foods like rotifers and phytoplankton, others say they are photosynthetic and live off light. I know the fw in my tank eventually congregate at the waters edge, mostly on the left side of my tank where I get some sun on very bright days, so I'm leaning to believe they are light loving.   Everyone says they will not harm corals UNTIL they multiply enough to "blanket" a coral, blocking the coral's light, basically smothering it.  I didn't have that many, but enough it was bugging the crap outta me. 

It was suggested I take each piece of rock out of my tank and dip it in a 5:1 ratio of ro water/hydrogen peroxide for a few mins, then rinse with ro water.  Last Saturday I put a rock from the left side of my tank (where they are the worst on my glass) in a gallon of water and 2c of peroxide.  It killed LOTS of pods, I did see a few red planaria, but not that many. I also thought if I was going to kill all life on my rock, why the heck not do a fw bath?  I dunked a different rock in fw, again, loads of pods, not many red planaria.  So I stopped, why kill all that life when I was seeing very few fw?  Ended up adding a capful of flatworm exit to my tank, waited 1/2 an hour, and added another capful.  Most of the fw's died, but I still saw some fw on the glass, not moving, but still there. I decided to add carbon to my sump and wait 24 hours.  Sunday I hit the tank with one more dose of fw exit, waited a few hours, then did a 10g wc.   Today, 24 hours later, I have no fw in the tank I can see. Problem is fw exit doesn't kill the eggs.  I also ordered 2 more bottles of fwe, I'll nuc the tank weekly until I can get a melanurus wrasse , which google says most often eats them.  

The tank seems to be unaffected.  The treatment did "stun" all of my Ceirth's, but that was it.  Today the Ceirths are slowly coming back to life.  Funny, the Nerites and Turbo's are fine, as is my cleaner shrimp.  

On a good note I ordered a IT2080 from ERC.  Should be here next month....really excited about that purchase.  

And Smallreef, we can't go on anymore LFS trips until after Christmas.  The last one I ended up with 2 fish, fw exit and a new LED light.  Expensive for a 4 hour trip!  but so worth it  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Ugh to the flatworms. I think I'm going to be fighting the same battle as you soon. I have a melanarus, but all my fish are in QT, so we will see what happens when he gets added again, will probably be in melanarus heaven, with all the bristleworms and whatnot that have been growing since he's been removed. If you think your red things are photosynthetic, have you considered cutting your lights out for a few days, won't hurt the corals, might do it some good?

Sorry to hear about the nem.

Excited to hear about the IT2080. I run 2 over my 6', and I love them. You'll be very pleased, I'm sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh to the flatworms. I think I'm going to be fighting the same battle as you soon. I have a melanarus, but all my fish are in QT, so we will see what happens when he gets added again, will probably be in melanarus heaven, with all the bristleworms and whatnot that have been growing since he's been removed. If you think your red things are photosynthetic, have you considered cutting your lights out for a few days, won't hurt the corals, might do it some good?

Sorry to hear about the nem.

Excited to hear about the IT2080. I run 2 over my 6', and I love them. You'll be very pleased, I'm sure.

Read below...sigh....I can't believe my tank is so young and I already have them.....have to tell you, your tank (and Smallreefs) is the reason I started thinking about the Evergrow lights for my tank.  I'm so anxious to get them on the tank.

lol i know right! too much fun!

and definently need some shopping after the holidays...i need more fish!

We did have fun.  Def catch ya in January.....

Time for an update.  I still have red planeria.  I've hit the tank the past month with FWE every 5-10g wc.  I did my last wc on 12/4, and three days later I saw two of them on my tank's glass.  They are getting less in numbers with each treatment, but still present in my tank.  This is getting very frustrating.  I have a Mystery Wrasse in Q at IC, hopefully he'll find them appetizing and that will be that.  

I bought an Vertex Omega 130 from the BRS sale.  After running it in a tub with wc dirty water for 24 hours full throttle with collection cup off, then 24 hours more with collection cup on, I put the ps in my sump.  The water level was at 8.5", no matter what adjustments I made to the riser tube or the air valve on the pump, I couldn't get it to stop overflowing into my sump.  I didn't have the correct size eggcrate left to make a box to raise it, but did have enough to lay 4 difference sized pieces of eggcrate flat zip tied together, which raised it 1.5".  This worked perfectly, this is the collection cup 12 hours after having the waterlevel at 7":

Omega130.jpg

Very happy with it so far.  Hopefully after the break in period the skim will get darker, tho with a zeovit system you want a wetter skim.  It's super quiet which is a plus plus   :)

I also added more rock to my display, a few crappy cell phone pics:

newrockrtside.jpg

ftsnewrock.jpg

I'm trying to resist the urge to glue down the few frags I have in there until my IT2080's come in.  Meh, we'll see, with Christmas in a few weeks and year end, I have enough to do to keep my mind off the tank......uhhhuh......

Better young than matured and filled with coral, IMO.

Way to look at the bright side of things YH, and your 100% correct.  IF the mystery wrasse doesn't help me out, it will be easier to treat each rock, which I don't want to do, but will if I can't get these things gone!

Power went out this morning for about 3 hours.  Temp in tank got down to 76.4, WP25 didn't remember it's settings, and I had to add a gallon of water, not sure what was up with that, as my ato was also trying to fill the sump.   Need to remember these things for the next outage, which hopefully won't be tomorrow.....

Adam Bowers from IC and Artfully Acrylic stopped by today to check out the tank and help me dial in the overflow with the new black acrylic overflow covers.   I've never been disappointed with anything Adam has made for me, and this time wasn't any different.  Once done (tyvm Adam), the tank looks so much better with the new overflow covers, not going to miss the homemade eggcrate ones I made one bit.  He also gave me a few hints....like where to place a few corals and to decrease the intensity of my white lights.  Wow, I've gotta say it made such a difference.  He also took some pics, and promised to send them to me.  As soon as he does I'll post some here.  

Glad to hear all is right...

And BTW ... My tank sits at 75 normally...so getting down a few degrees..no biggie...just don't hike it up to normal to quickly...

And I think we need a picture of this new overflow cover :)

Glad to hear all is right...

And BTW ... My tank sits at 75 normally...so getting down a few degrees..no biggie...just don't hike it up to normal to quickly...

And I think we need a picture of this new overflow cover :)

Thanks Small.  Email and bug Adam, I'm want a pic too....lol

• 1 month later...

Time for an update.  The IT-2080 I ordered came in, put it on the tank and what a difference.  This fixture is 2x the size of my old one, has 40 more LED's, with reds and greens to boot!  I've been warned by several people to start low and take it slow.  Right now it maxes out at 70% blues and 10% whites.  Figure I'll up it a few % each week.  So far the corals are loving the light, so am I :clap: :clap:

I've purchased a few fish, and a few more corals.  The tank now has:

1-snowflake clown

1-picasso clown

2-bangaii cardinal's, one is not destined to make it.  If anyone wants a small bangaii for free, pm me, if you can catch it, you can have it. 

1-mystery wrasse, love this fish, ate all the red planaria in my tank, haven't seen one in weeks  :laugh:

1-small spotted bristletooth tang, this fish is so pretty, lilac head, orange body to light yellow tail.  

4-frags of zoa's

2-small favia's

1-acan

1-frogspawn

1-yuma

1-paly

4-florida ricordea's

The rics are in a bright orange tupperware container with rubble, hopefully they will attach to something solid in a few weeks.  

I managed to glue down all the zoa's, the yuma and the paly a few days ago.  So far so good, everything has stayed put.  

I got in on the ERC Jebao group buy #4 and ordered a WP-10.  I saw one on ebay and bought it also, it came in today's mail.  The WP-25 will get a vinegar soak and then go on my 75g planted tank.  The reef is too shallow, I could only keep it on W1 S3 dialed all the way down.  The WP-10 is 1/2 the size, right now I have it on Else-S1 dialed all the way up, with no problem.  I'll add the other WP-10 when it arrives.  There is a guy on RC that has a DIY controller for the WP's he selling on ebay which will enable each WP to turn on/off out of sync.  The RC thread is here at post #2045:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2283598&page=82

My red planaria are gone (thank you wrasse) but now I have two other pests to deal with.  The first is I'm going to start a thread, I have Vermetid snails.  They were getting out of control on the one piece of live rock I have in the tank.  Bought bone cutters from IC, snipped them right off at the base.  I still have more throughout the tank, I'll deal with a few every wc. 

I also have small white daisy's on one of my favia's.  Here is a not so good pic:

faviawithflower.jpg

closeupfloweronfavia.jpg

I'm going to start a thread here to figure out what they are.  I scraped 4 of them off the same plug two days ago, these two popped up today  :(

I need to learn how to not only use my camera, but the new macro lens I got for Xmas.  Best pic so far and it's not even that good:

111cleaner.jpg

New fixture on tank:

IT2080.jpg

To end this long post....full tank shot from early Dec.....

1210picreef.jpg

(edited)

Took a few mins to give the WP25 a vinegar bath and put it on my 75g fw planted.  I had it on else/S1 at first, had to laugh when a medium size fw angel got caught in the current.  I now have it on W1S3, much better, not too much flow at all.  

Bathing the other ph's in the house, figured good time since I have the bath set up. 

I'm also trying to catch that cardinal, it hurts to see him chased around the tank.  Not having much luck......

Edited by londonloco