26 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about fish?

• I love them, they are the main reason I have a tank
    • They are about equal in importance to my corals
    • I just want colorful movement between corals
    • Some are good as part of a cleanup crew, but that's about it
    • They do nothing but make me filthy my tank with food

(edited)

So how do people really feel about keeping fish in their tanks? Also, what are your thoughts about fish?

At this point I'm ready to take all my fish out and have just corals. Maybe keep the tang as part of cleanup crew (for algae of course). I don't like that I have to put so much food in the tank for so few fish simply because they don't all stick to one spot together... food has to be scattered all through the tank.... this is a big part of the reason for wanting a school of some sort, to eat up the food in between the other fish (I guess that would make the school fish cleaners as well, but only as a group because just one would make no difference). Grrrr!

Edited by treesprite

I see this topic periodically and I just can never determine if I'd keep only fish or corals if I had to pick one. I like both so much. I guess I'm glad I don't have to make that choice.

As far as I understand this hobbie, we need allot of import / export of nutrients in order to keep a healthy and colorfull reef. Of course nitrates will need to be 0 or low but you will need to add some food for your corals even if you dont have fish.. I have known people that take out their fish thinking that their reef would do better, but actually their reef decayed! Personally I think that one of the most interesting things in an aquarium is the personality of different types of fish. Mine always feed in the same spot, but of course I have a small tank so that is common. Yellow tangs are a must I would say, I have one myself and I would not be able to keep my tank algae free without him!

I started the hobby loving the fish. I've come to enjoy the corals more, I think. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with the corals. Still, I love the fish....

I too have moved from fish to corals but everyone else (including my wife who pays for half of the reef) loves the tank and I have realized that every time one of my fish defecates, my SPS color up even more. Symbiosis.

Sure, I like corals. But I see them more like I do a plant, it is just calming to watch them grow and do well.

But if I had to choose, I would go with fish. I love the movement, interactions, personality, and really just about everything about them.

I prefer corals, my husband loves fish. Although I wouldn't admit it to him, if I had to give up one - good bye corals. In the meantime, I am grateful to have both and hope to maintain.

Fish get in the way when I'm trying to photograph corals, anemones and other inverts...