tpallas' 33g SPS Dropoff Nano

tpallas

Them r some nice seams for being done at midnight. Nothing I do after 9pm looks good. 8)

Looks like the water takes a C shaped path through that sump? Cool idea. You putting biopellets into the skimmer intake or last thing before the return?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Adam!

I'm really on the fence on using a biopellet reactor or just some GFC, but I think it's going to be the latter.

My thought was to strap the calcium reactor CO2 bottle underneath the controller shelf....what do you think?

Cheers

Tom

Thanks Adam!

I'm really on the fence on using a biopellet reactor or just some GFC, but I think it's going to be the latter.

My thought was to strap the calcium reactor CO2 bottle underneath the controller shelf....what do you think?

Cheers

Tom

Not sure you can keep a bottle of compressed CO2 sideways.  It normally is filled with liquid CO2 and works best upright.

Are you set on a calcium reactor?  The demand in a 20gal tank will be very low.  I have never used a calcium reactor, but my understanding is they are for large systems with heavy loads.  Also, they will drop your PH.

I would strongly consider a two part dosing regiment with water changes, but I am bias.

Ditto....the CO2 bottle will be hooked up to a solenoid to turn off if PH drops too low. It's really designed to be there when the tank is in high-growth stage (hopefully). I'll also have a 3-part doser set up to handle minor CA adjustments as well as kh/mg.

Cheers

Tom

Not sure you can keep a bottle of compressed CO2 sideways.  It normally is filled with liquid CO2 and works best upright.

I have my tank sideways and haven't had any problems. The liquid turns to gas at the pressure drop (regulator)

Pre-Stain Conditioner and first coat of Red Mahogany Stain went on.  Note if you don't know...the ply is Mahogany as well.  Also including a pic of the tank with the front black acrylic surround complete as this was finished recently as well, but no pic added of it.

2nd coat of the Stain has been applied since these pics and as we speak the first coat of Poly is drying.  We will do a total of 3 coats of Poly.

Yep - this build is an ALL-INCLUSIVE build so not only includes the tank, sump, and stand, but also includes all finish work as well as final plumbing so stay tuned!!

**Note- Pics run in reverse order of completion so the lighter colored pics of the skin are the pre-conditioner, not the stain.

image_1_zps16f46251.jpeg

image_9_zps6e311a6c.jpeg

image_8_zpsfe48f78f.jpeg
image_7_zpsd3f436ec.jpeg
image_6_zps63838b9e.jpeg
image_5_zpsd2768eb7.jpeg
image_4_zps116b7f6e.jpeg
image_3_zpsfa89fd5c.jpeg
image_2_zps04546c8e.jpeg
image_zpsccec4b36.jpeg
Edited by ArtFully Acrylic (Adam B)

Ok so i figured out how the intake is happening. Just because this in sump concept is new to me... is that because the excess co2 is putting pressure on the effluent and forcing it out through the output? Theres no gravity/feed pump/something rlse? The pump is only for recirculating...

And this is a sweeeet build!!!

Edited by lnevo

A year and a half in the building. You guys beat my 9 months to get water in it record. Get a cycle going in this guy. I really want to see water moving through those shelves and that sump.

Yeah, Adam and I have spent a minute or two thinking through this one. Honestly, there's been a lot of issues to consider and I took my sweet time figuring out which equipment I wanted and how I wanted it set up. But I think we can get this thing ready for SPS before 2014!

Yeah, Adam and I have spent a minute or two thinking through this one. Honestly, there's been a lot of issues to consider and I took my sweet time figuring out which equipment I wanted and how I wanted it set up. But I think we can get this thing ready for SPS before 2014!

ROFL...yeah..it's been a project.  It's the only project that followed me from the old garage shop to this shop...and I moved in here last October ;).

But let me tell you what...it has been, and is still, a FUN build to do.  Even in the months that it sat waiting for equipment for the sump to be determined prior to it's build...I still enjoyed it being here.  Looking at it brings memories back of figuring out all the elements of how to put everything together and make that cute little CAD drawing on the first page a reality =).

The stain and poly came out beautifully =).  Next up is plumbing.  I'm waiting on a gate valve and a few other parts in the mail to get started there.  After plumbing, I just need to bend and paint some conduit for the light rack which will attach to the back of the stand.  Then she is done =).  Tom has just advised me his Bday is on 10/14 so we aim to be done before then =).

photo2_zps0abb741d.jpg

photo1_zps07200925.jpg