• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get this tank crackin! 

Here is some inspiration:

281.jpg

It's the tank of the year at http://www.koreareefclub.com/

If I know Tom, his will look even better =).  And, from what I can see...Tom's tank looks sooooooo much more clean and crisp in design so should be a shoo-win!!!....Then again, I am a little biased ROFL

• 1 month later...

That's an AWESOME example!

Unfortunately I had a disease outbreak which managed to wipe out my fish population when I was out of town. Pretty bummed. So just letting the tank run empty (with a few corals) for a while.

so sorry to hear about your losses. what can you tell us about what happened and the condition of the fish while you were gone or when you came back? you sure it was a disease and not a parasite? where were the fish from, a previous tank? are you ghost feeding the tank while you go fallow? seems like an ideal time to go fallow like you're doing and start fresh when the tank and you are ready with treated/qt'd fish under a new protocol. or maybe you already had one in place when this happened? i'll keep following your build for more updates. if you have any questions about what happened or have more information to share, it'd be great to do post them with the community so we can all learn and have better experiences in this hobby! g'luck, tom!

Edited by monkiboy

(edited)

Appreciate the note. Here's what I think happened. My Tunze Osmolator pump, I've noticed, is getting weak with age - think it needs to be replaced. So I was out of town for 5 days and I think the water level in the sump dropped below the temperature sensor, which may have turned off the heaters. That's my thesis at this point. Whatever it was, it was quick - it overcame the fish within 36 hours. It was a spotchy white appearance at the outside, and also deteriorated the fins very quickly. It did not take more than a couple of days to wipe out the tank. It had been over a month since I last added anything new to the tank, which is why I believe a temperature shock set this off.

I'm going to let it run for 6 weeks or so. In the meantime I've ordered some mangrove shoots to set up a cool fuge underneath the tank. I was running biopellets and getting some nasty cyano, so I'm going to try the fuge route and see if it clears up.

Edited by tpallas

Ordered some mangrove seeds and am setting up a fuge. Pulled down the bio pellet reactor and the cyano has gone away.

Posted Image

The seedlings came sprouted. I've read that once they sprout they are extremely sensitive to salinity changes, so I'll see how they do. Also adding some more sand to properly root. Will be adding an LED fixture under the bottom step:

Posted Image

The Bubble King is finally tuned in to where I want it after 2 months of tinkering. Sucking out some nasty black goop:

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want some mangroves? You can have mine, pick them up before I kill them.

Oh sweet! How big are they??

Big, and halfway dead, they'll need some nursing, but should be alright. Send me a PM whenever you're available.

Digging your setup and that BK skimmer. I have the 180mini with a bad pump. Tagging along.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Posted Image

First acro in the tank, green slimer. I'll let it go for a couple of weeks and see how she does.

Also working on getting the dosing pump set up. Going balling until the ca reactor is needed.

Posted Image

You really need a thread title change. It isn't soft coral anymore and it's more than 20g.

YEAH! Who do I ask to do that?

Looks good. Sorry about the fish... 

Thanks! It did definitely suck. First time I've ever considered adding a UV sterilizer.

Digging your setup and that BK skimmer. I have the 180mini with a bad pump. Tagging along.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Did the pump ever work at all? That really sucks.

You guys are making me work for my money today! Title changed per OP's request.

YEAH! Who do I ask to do that?

Thanks! It did definitely suck. First time I've ever considered adding a UV sterilizer.

Did the pump ever work at all? That really sucks.

No I per chased it that way, but modded it with a DC3000 waveline pump.

Swung by Incredible Corals today. Adam had some sweet colonies....I picked up 2 and a frag. Will post some update pics.

Hah, yesterday you said you were going to let the green slimer go for a few weeks to see how it did. Today you buy two colonies and a frag.

(edited)

I walked into the store intent on buying a dozen snails and walked out with 2 full shopping bags.

Edited by tpallas