tpallas' 33g SPS Dropoff Nano

tpallas

This tank is so awesome...Tom better watch out or ill have to 'borrow' his while i convince my husband to let Adam build me my own!

All joking aside, so smart to get everything for it before finishing the sump...some of us get in so much of a rush we end up double or triple buying products because we didnt do alot of research....

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly can not wait for this build to come to fruition. It looks absolutely gorgeous and its a testament to Adam's skill to build something like this with such precision. Let's get some saltwater into this!

I'll pull a Rob and pee in it this weekend to get the cycle started.

You most certainly will not taint that piece of ArtFul Awesomeness in such a fashion! LOL

This tank is so awesome...Tom better watch out or ill have to 'borrow' his while i convince my husband to let Adam build me my own!

All joking aside, so smart to get everything for it before finishing the sump...some of us get in so much of a rush we end up double or triple buying products because we didnt do alot of research....

You would have to go through a full 12 pack to get that opportunity Kim and we all know your limit is 1 1/2 ;). You have better chances convincing the husband :tongue:.

But yes, I can tell you, Tom has done A LOT of research on the right equipment for this tank!! And it will all be worth it! There is an awesome Bubble King sitting in my shop right now and....teaser alert....the sump will be color coordinated to the underlying components =).

Honestly can not wait for this build to come to fruition. It looks absolutely gorgeous and its a testament to Adam's skill to build something like this with such precision. Let's get some saltwater into this!

Thanks for the kind words Omair! It was and still will be a very fun and challenging build!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really wanna see this one. Let's get rollin!! Lol

Yes, can't wait to see this setup...when will it be truly wet? 

Please ultimately summarize lessons learned should someone want to mimic your drop-off plans later. It's a very cool idea

You are so patience!!!! can't wait to see it up running. What's the hold up?

Really, it was just a delay in me selecting the equipment for the sump. It took me some time so we had the sump build on hold until we did that. But we're back on track.

I really wanna see this one. Let's get rollin!! Lol

Almost there!

Yes, can't wait to see this setup...when will it be truly wet? 

Please ultimately summarize lessons learned should someone want to mimic your drop-off plans later. It's a very cool idea

Probably over the next 60 days. I'll let it cycle for a good bit to make sure it's ready for SPS. I do have a bunch of lessons learned but I'm sure the real ones will come once I get this thing going. My real concern would be getting the right amount of flow on top and bottom. I normally am not a big fan of closed loops but in retrospect, this might have been the ideal candidate. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Maybe Adam will be so kind as to post the sump build.

Your wish come true....

Material cut to dimension for all pieces of the sump build.  Next Step, route and prep all edges for welding.  

photo13_zps1cc4586d.jpg

Thennnnn.....the sump assembly has begun!!!  Sides attached to "front".  Stay tuned.  It's on the table now, so there is no going back.  Progress will come quickly now.

image22_zps3bfd4c99.jpeg

I think I'm in love, with an inanimate object....it's just so sleek and gorgeous...I can't stop staring at it!

That red acrylic makes it look SaWeeeeeet!

Thank you both! I love this thing too! Almost forgot a pic with the inspiration...

Posted Image

Only thing I can't show right now is the bio-pellet reactor which I don't have here. But these show skimmer, calcium reactor, and return pump. Front section is for frags or fuge.

Posted Image

I gotta say wow again.  I tried to put the sump in the stand before flush routing the 1/8" excess lip from the bottom piece...it wouldn't fit.  I had to finish flush routing the bottom before it would fit in the stand.  There was VERY little clearance (per design of course) on any side.  We definitely maximized the size of the sump for fitting under the stand.  As the sump sits inside the bottom steel frame there is about 1/8" clearance all the way around....nice =).

photo3_zps3215e45d.jpg
photo2_zps8e391245.jpg
photo1_zps000b920f.jpg