tpallas' 33g SPS Dropoff Nano

tpallas

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool Tom. I'm so looking forward to seeing this thing come to life!

You have faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more patience then I do lol

Haha good to hear from you Ron! I've been having a busy enough time beating bryopsis on my 11 gallon. Plus I can only afford to go this fast! If I have this tank running by Feb, I'll be happy!

Lovin it!! Only thing I would recommend with the overflow fittings is to make sure you have eggcrate over the fittings or over the rim of the coast to coast. Snails and fish like to find there way into it and clog stuff. :ohmy:

Neat. That lip on the edge of the dropoff seems like a good design idea, and not one I would have thought about. Otherwise you'd have a continuous sand avalanche over that edge.

It is looking AWESOME!!! clap.gif

Yeah, I'm really impressed on Adam's work with this....very glad I went with him.

Lovin it!! Only thing I would recommend with the overflow fittings is to make sure you have eggcrate over the fittings or over the rim of the coast to coast. Snails and fish like to find there way into it and clog stuff. :ohmy:

Good point.....I'm running this with just live rock for the first several months so I can save up the funds for the light and let the tank cycle....gives plenty of time to tinker!

Neat. That lip on the edge of the dropoff seems like a good design idea, and not one I would have thought about. Otherwise you'd have a continuous sand avalanche over that edge.

Yeah, Adam and I spent a lot of time thinking through the details on this one. As I wanted sand I definitely did not want some horribly awkward layer of sand on the top step.

Awesome!! I just asked Adam to make the back wall on the lower step black so this may add to the build time, but that's OK. I am getting excited for this...

Any in tank pumps? Hard to use magnets on 1" material.

This is a good question and one we carefully considered. Any power head that could handle 1" acrylic would have WAY overpowered this tank. This is what led to an internal overflow instead of the originally planned external. The Tunze units will route through the back wall to the front of the overflow and attach there since it is only 1/4" acrylic. This was the best alternative option available.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I really don't like closed loops for various reasons, but of all my tanks, this would be the nearest candidate.

I'm also considering getting a stronger magnet to mount the Tunzes.....any reason why this wouldnt work?

Happy Thanksgiving!