I'm looking for the perfect recipe of reactor, media type, and pump for both carbon and GFO

Annap729

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of these.

1) which is better- two single, or one dual? the dual obviously has two reactors.

2) I see BRS sells the high capacity GFO and Rox Carbon, which supposedly requires less media for the same effect. Which material is ideal to use?

My understanding is that they need to tumble at different rates. Everything I see recommends using a maxi jet 1200.

3) Should i definitely use MJ1200s?

I have the BRS dual, running GFO and carbon on a MJ1200. The only thing I do not like about it is, the GFO only tumbles on one side of the canister. I turn up the flow once a week to mix the media up better, then tune it back down. Other than that, I have no issues with it.

I would go with two singles so you can control flow to each independently. As well as keep one running if you need to change out the other. But it depends on what you want to spend and if you have the space. I run two singles with a single pump so I do not need to worry about having two pumps and outlets, etc.

Okay, but what about the right pump for that job? Doesn't the type of media dictate whether or not the pump is strong enough?

Lets say i go with a dual reactor and one pump...is that enough flow from one pump? what would i use, a t and individual ball valves for each to dial in the flow?

If i DO go dual, is it really that bad if I take both offline for 5 minutes to change one? Just want to make sure I understand everything.

I have the BRS dual, running GFO and carbon on a MJ1200. The only thing I do not like about it is, the GFO only tumbles on one side of the canister. I turn up the flow once a week to mix the media up better, then tune it back down. Other than that, I have no issues with it.

Good to know. Okay, now i'm getting somewhere.

Okay, but what about the right pump for that job? Doesn't the type of media dictate whether or not the pump is strong enough?

Lets say i go with a dual reactor and one pump...is that enough flow from one pump? what would i use, a t and individual ball valves for each to dial in the flow?

If i DO go dual, is it really that bad if I take both offline for 5 minutes to change one? Just want to make sure I understand everything.

I used to run the BRS dual reactor with a MJ1200 and it worked fine. Just jiggle the flow switch to the GFO every few days to get it tumbling again. The dual reactor is a lot cheaper than 2 singles as well. And its not bad if you take both offline to change one. I did it monthly to change the carbon. You just unscrew the carbon change it, then put it back. Takes seconds. Then every 3 months I'd change both the gfo and carbon.

I use a mag5 to feed a manifold (a pvc pipe capped on both ends with several threaded ts on it so I can add on in the future), two of the t's go to my two single reactors. I have too much flow as is but have room for expansion, but I also have a ton of space around my sump as it is in a room behind a wall so my decision was based on ease not price or space.

I have a dual - not BRS, but a Next Reef MR1 monster which can be configured as two, mechanically connected separate reactors. Personally, from the experience, I would prefer two single reactors. You can independently control flow (different media work better at different flow rates) and, when it comes time to change the media, you're only taking one reactor offline.

As for media, right now, I'm running BRS' ROX 0.8 in one reactor and biopellets in the other. When using GFO, I have a bunch of Filter Fine Aquatics GFO that I rely on. I also have a lot of their lignite carbon that I'll use from time to time.

I used to run the BRS dual reactor with a MJ1200 and it worked fine. Just jiggle the flow switch to the GFO every few days to get it tumbling again. The dual reactor is a lot cheaper than 2 singles as well. And its not bad if you take both offline to change one. I did it monthly to change the carbon. You just unscrew the carbon change it, then put it back. Takes seconds. Then every 3 months I'd change both the gfo and carbon.

So basically what i'm hearing is that with a dual reactor you end up with the gfo not tumbling at the rate it really should? the simple solution to this of course is to play with flow every few days, but this is the main issue?

I have a dual - not BRS, but a Next Reef MR1 monster which can be configured as two, mechanically connected separate reactors. Personally, from the experience, I would prefer two single reactors. You can independently control flow (different media work better at different flow rates) and, when it comes time to change the media, you're only taking one reactor offline.

As for media, right now, I'm running BRS' ROX 0.8 in one reactor and biopellets in the other. When using GFO, I have a bunch of Filter Fine Aquatics GFO that I rely on. I also have a lot of their lignite carbon that I'll use from time to time.

lignite vs rox--

is it true you need nearly double the amount of lignite? BRS calculator says so. i was going to just use lignite bc it's HALF the cost. i know i have to rinse it a little more in the beginning too, but that's not a big deal.

So basically what i'm hearing is that with a dual reactor you end up with the gfo not tumbling at the rate it really should? the simple solution to this of course is to play with flow every few days, but this is the main issue?

the only issue i had with the dual reactor was the GFO would stop tumbling, so you'd have to "shake it up" by turning the flow up and back down, from time to time.

if you have room for 2 pumps and 2 single reactors (and the extra money), then by all means, go that route. if i had the space and extra cash, I'd go that route too. the brs dual reactor is just cost efficient. not perfect, but it gets the job done.

lignite vs rox--

is it true you need nearly double the amount of lignite? BRS calculator says so. i was going to just use lignite bc it's HALF the cost. i know i have to rinse it a little more in the beginning too, but that's not a big deal.

I don't know for sure. Rox 0.8 is an extruded activated carbon. It comes in very small, splinter-like pieces and suspends (fluidizes) very easily in the moving water of a reactor. It also will wash out of a reactor if the flow is high enough and it is not mechanically blocked from leaving. Anyway, because there are so many pieces and because it's has such a high surface area to volume ratio, it can remove a variety of organics from the water column quickly and efficiently. It also seems more durable under tumbling (and less likely to support channeling in the reactor) than some of the larger, granular carbons that are not mechanically formed. I would not recomment aggressively tumbling conventional lignite GAC as I think it would release small carbon fines into the water - fines which have been implicated in HLL disease. Still, lignite carbons are the only other form that I'd consider for our tanks. Cost is less for the lignite and may, ultimately make it more affordable and cost effective than the higher priced Rox 0.8, but I don't know that as a fact. You will work more, however, to rinse lignite GAC as it has more dust. This can, for some people, get tiresome.

personally i went with and avast MR18 you build it (VERY EASY BUILD)for biopellets and used an old TLF 150 for carbon, T off of a MJ1200 until i get my manifold hooked up on the new tank then it will run off of the return.

i like beign able to change out one or the other, and if your doing biopellets the MR18 works SOO much better to keep a constant tumble compared to the TLF reactor. i think a big part of that is the diameter of the tubing goign into the reactor, much bigger on the avast then the TLF or the BRS ones ive seen.

i just like that i can find a tlf for like 20-30 bucks used...eventually ill probably get another avast reactor but thats when i get fancy...and a raise.

Tom, How can you configure the MR1 as two reactors? I have one but can't seem to find anything about this. Mine hooks right up to the manifold in my stand. I can control the flow by opening and closing the valve only. Super easy and brilliant but no control. How do I use two seperate pumps? How does NextReef suggest this? The carbon I was using kept breaking down and going into the tank. My Hippo was showing signs of HLLE. After I DC'd the reactor the Hippo healed. No signs since. I'd like to try it again with GFO and carbon. I need to run GFO the way I feed. I know they need different flow. Can you help a gal out ? ;)

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread and if it's a problem, if I've done something wrong, mods please delete and let me know so I can start another thread. Thanks.

J

Tom, How can you configure the MR1 as two reactors? I have one but can't seem to find anything about this. Mine hooks right up to the manifold in my stand. I can control the flow by opening and closing the valve only. Super easy and brilliant but no control. How do I use two seperate pumps? How does NextReef suggest this? The carbon I was using kept breaking down and going into the tank. My Hippo was showing signs of HLLE. After I DC'd the reactor the Hippo healed. No signs since. I'd like to try it again with GFO and carbon. I need to run GFO the way I feed. I know they need different flow. Can you help a gal out ? ;)

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread and if it's a problem, if I've done something wrong, mods please delete and let me know so I can start another thread. Thanks.

J

Come on Jan! HAHAH totally kidding. All good! I actually have decided to go with Biopellets instead of GFO bc Origami explained how you sometimes can run into walls between phosphates and nitrates. Plus I like that its a natural bacteria filtration where the bacteria is processing the Nitrates and phosphates. I'd run that with Bio if i'm you, but that is just MY $.02 lol2.gif. Ultimately I think i'm headed towards zeovit, but i'll get the biopellets under way and see what happens.

One word... VINEGAR!

http://reefkeeping.c.../nftt/index.php

Vinegar is used exactly like vodka, except it is 8x stronger. Less reports of cyano outbreaks. Drops PH though, so dose throughout the day. Make sure your skimmer is ready...

Edit - Can be added to your kalk top off to increase the saturation as well....

Edited by BowieReefer84

Jan, it's the MR1 Monster - http://www.marinedepot.com/NextReef_MR1_Monster_Media_Reactor_Chemical_Reactors-NextReef-NX1121-FIFRISCR-vi.html - it's a dual reactor by design.

Carbon dosing with biopellets requires less manual interaction. I used to dose vinegar and vodka, but dosing it manually got to be a chore. That's why "solid vodka" (biopellets - aka biodegradable plastics) took root in the hobby. They're just a way to give bacteria an additional carbon source to use as food.