I'm looking for the perfect recipe of reactor, media type, and pump for both carbon and GFO

Annap729

Yes, correct, this is the one I have. It's hooked up into the manifold inside my stand. It came with my set up. On my system water flows from one end/reactor through to the other reactor at the same rate, that is how the tubing is connected on this one. So I don't see how each reactor/chamber works independent of the other. Do I need 2 pumps? It didn't come with instructions and the instructions online are not clear on this. Thank you.

Jan, it's the MR1 Monster - http://www.marinedep...IFRISCR-vi.html - it's a dual reactor by design.

Carbon dosing with biopellets requires less manual interaction. I used to dose vinegar and vodka, but dosing it manually got to be a chore. That's why "solid vodka" (biopellets - aka biodegradable plastics) took root in the hobby. They're just a way to give bacteria an additional carbon source to use as food.

Edited by Jan

Yes, correct, this is the one I have. It's hooked up into the manifold inside my stand. It came with my set up. On my system water flows from one end/reactor through to the other reactor at the same rate, that is how the tubing is connected on this one. So I don't see how each reactor/chamber works independent of the other. Do I need 2 pumps? It didn't come with instructions and the instructions online are not clear on this. Thank you.

At the risk of hijacking... the regular MR1 is a single reactor. I'd assumed that maybe you had that. The Monster is a dual reactor with four barbed L-connectors at the top for hose connections (an input and output for each of the two reactor columns). I just have them each connected to a separate port on my manifold (actually, to a secondary manifold that runs off of my primary manifold for all my "low flow" devices). So, yes, it's like having a second pump connection. Different media may require different tumbling rates. Running them separately allows you to optimize to the needs/durability of the media.

I was wondering if anyone can link me to some basic articles on why you should run gfo and carbon in reactors. I am starting up a 90gal after being out of the hobby for awhile. Always knew about these things however was never experienced with them

I was wondering if anyone can link me to some basic articles on why you should run gfo and carbon in reactors. I am starting up a 90gal after being out of the hobby for awhile. Always knew about these things however was never experienced with them

Are you asking why you should run gfo and carbon, or why you should run reactors (as opposed to using media bags)?

Are you asking why you should run gfo and carbon, or why you should run reactors (as opposed to using media bags)?

Wondering why to use reactors. I understand what gfo and carbon can do for your system

You get better water contact in the reactors than with, say, a media bag. Fluidized reactors avoid channeling by tumbling the media, but some softer media can abrade in them, releasing small particles in your tank (carbon dust has been implicated in HLLE, so you need to be careful about how vigorous you tumble the different types of carbon).

You get better water contact in the reactors than with, say, a media bag. Fluidized reactors avoid channeling by tumbling the media, but some softer media can abrade in them, releasing small particles in your tank (carbon dust has been implicated in HLLE, so you need to be careful about how vigorous you tumble the different types of carbon).

I was looking at dual bra reactors yesterday but wanted to learn. Ore before purchasing. What is hlle?