Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not use the JBJ ATO? Requires a pump but no drilling.

Well, if I had room for a separate tank/container to hold the fresh RO/DI water, I think I'd go with a unit like the JBJ ATO, or Avast ATO, with a pump. However, I don't have any space to put such a container, so I think I need to run the RO/DI unit directly to my sump.

If I use the solenoid on a timer; coupled with the float valve in the sump -- that's basically a fail-proof ATO setup, right?

When we move from the apartment to a house and I can have a fish room, I'll switch over to a container (like a 20g brute trash can or something), and a pump, coupled with the Avast ATO probably.

Now it's a matter of finding someone who can drill a small hole for the float valve and a maybe a 1" hole for an external pump as well. Do any of our LFS drill tanks?

you can get a container made. Mike (Bowiereefer) has this really nice slim comtainer next to his tank. You can also use some like a decorative box or even a nice wicker laundry hamper (with a lid) with a bucket inside and line running out of the back of it, good way to hide ugly things in a decorative manner.. Personally I would never wanna run the risk of my RO/DI not turning off, especailly when its being poored into my tank.

*Note- Nothing is fail proof, dont kid yourself for a second..

Someone on RC is selling 2 of these, with ballasts for $200 shipped (no bulbs).

Should I try these on the tank? They are only 250w, not 400w; and I've never used HQI before (I think I'd need to install fans in the canopy?)

http://www.marinedepot.com/Sunlight_Supply_Reef_Optix_3_Plus_Double_Ended_HQI_Reflector_Double_Ended_Metal_Halide_Retrofit_Kits-Sunlight_Supply_Inc-SL1331-FILTRTRMDE-vi.html

The clearance from the canopy to the water in the tank is only 9.5". So these would be 5.5" off the water? Still too close? If so, then AI Sols are my only option...?

whats your tanks depth again? thats the main factor

im running 2x250s on a 26in tall tank and have no problems even with spider reflectors growing corals on the bottom, clam is pretty low and has been happy for years. when i get my new hood built they will have actual reflectors and should be alot more light.

YES you will need fans, but they are very cheap and easy to install.

What kind of ballast, only ask this as certain bulbs like certain ballasts,

i love radiums and they like magnetic ballasts (m80 to be specific) ive been running them on a sunlight supply galaxy ballast and they have done just fine though.

(edited)

whats your tanks depth again? thats the main factor

im running 2x250s on a 26in tall tank and have no problems even with spider reflectors growing corals on the bottom, clam is pretty low and has been happy for years. when i get my new hood built they will have actual reflectors and should be alot more light.

YES you will need fans, but they are very cheap and easy to install.

What kind of ballast, only ask this as certain bulbs like certain ballasts,

i love radiums and they like magnetic ballasts (m80 to be specific) ive been running them on a sunlight supply galaxy ballast and they have done just fine though.

My tank is 27" deep. But the lights will only be like 4-5" off the surface as well. (I hope that's enough distance to not have 2 "spotlights" in the tank...

Here is the RC link: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2112384

2 - Icecap (New Style) Ballasts

2 - Sunlight supply DE reflectors

2 - Icecap Quick disconnects (Installed)

2 - 1 year old Phoenix 14K bulbs

He cut out the top of the pendants, which is ugly as heck, but since it's hanging in the canopy, I guess I don't really care about that.

What kind of fans? Like the square computer fans? Would I just cut some squares on the sides of the tank in the canopy, maybe install 4 of them, 2 on each side?

I probably don't need mega high PAR on the sand bed anyway? I want some areas to place softies and LPS that don't need a lot of light right?

Edited by Ryan S

Not a huge fan of icecap ballasts but thas cause they went downhill before the company went outta business if im not mistaken. if they work great but i know some of the later ones were made in china and icecap just put their name on em...may still work just fine though, not a huge lighting expert

I would just do a little research on the spotlight effect of the reflectors on RC or just google them and mounting heights and im sure some pics or threads will come up....i wouldnt think it would be that big of a problem but i could be wrong.

HQI tends to run a little hotter but i had some on my old 75g (2x175 and they were about 4-5 inches off the water and never had a problem besides cleaning them every so often....im sure you could aim them with a little tilt or something if needs be.

As for fans yes computer fans work great (well ive been using them for years), with those reflectors you could just mount them above the reflectors and have them pull air out of the canopy (im guessing open back canopy) and could add another one if you need to inside the canopy to just move some air around.

hopefully others more knowledgeable or with actual experience/have these reflectors can chime in

Someone has a brand new Vortech MP60w ES for sale for $600. Someone else currently has a used Vortech MP40w for sale for $250. Anyone have advice on what I should do for flow? 1 Mp40, 2 Mp40s, or 1 Mp60? The tank is only 3x3, so would 1 Mp40 be enough? Or 1 Mp60? (without a huge sandstorm)?

• 2 weeks later...

New toys:

Decided to try 1 MP40w and see how it works:

gallery_2631706_3_93260.jpg

2 Radions:

gallery_2631706_3_183260.jpg

160# of Nature's Ocean Pink Samoa #0 Sand (Will probably have extra bags):

gallery_2631706_3_24562.jpg

Lastly, the bottom of the tank has been cleaned and the eggcrate is in place:

gallery_2631706_3_359208.jpg

I cut the baffles last night, so next I will finish putting together the Avast CS1 Recirculating Skimmer, then install the baffles and drill the 1/2" hole for the float valve for the sump!

I have a 36x24x24 90 Gallon and I can tell you from experience that you'll need another MP40 or some other powerhead eventually. You can probably get away with just one until things start to grow in.

I have a 36x24x24 90 Gallon and I can tell you from experience that you'll need another MP40 or some other powerhead eventually. You can probably get away with just one until things start to grow in.

Yeah, I figure that will happen. I'm still unsure whether to use 2 MP40w's, or 1 MP60w. Chris Tran uses 1 MP60w, but he has crushed coral on the bottom, and I think it would make my sand go crazy, so I am leaning towards adding a 2nd MP40w down the road.

Yeah, I figure that will happen. I'm still unsure whether to use 2 MP40w's, or 1 MP60w. Chris Tran uses 1 MP60w, but he has crushed coral on the bottom, and I think it would make my sand go crazy, so I am leaning towards adding a 2nd MP40w down the road.

Probably a good plan. I don't think one source of flow is ideal. Nice equipment, your tank is going to be very nice. I'd like to have that extra 12" of sandbed even if I didn't put anything on it.

Probably a good plan. I don't think one source of flow is ideal. Nice equipment, your tank is going to be very nice. I'd like to have that extra 12" of sandbed even if I didn't put anything on it.

Jim, if you had the tank, starting from scratch, how would you aquascape it? That's my next step really. I was thinking a U cove type layout open towards the front perhaps?

Jim, if you had the tank, starting from scratch, how would you aquascape it? That's my next step really. I was thinking a U cove type layout open towards the front perhaps?

LPS or SPS dominate? (I figure you didn't spend $1,500 on lights to keep softies :rolleyes: )

LPS or SPS dominate? (I figure you didn't spend $1,500 on lights to keep softies :rolleyes: )

Honestly, probably a mix reef. I would like a decent amount of SPS though.

(edited)

Is post #7 on this thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370678 similar to what you're thinking?

wow. great link Jim. Yes it was, but when I see it there, I don't like it!

I think my favorite in the thread is post #16, the 2nd photo. that's similar to Chris Tran's as well, with 2 islands and a space between them. Maybe I could try something like that...

Edited by Ryan S

wow. great link Jim. Yes it was, but when I see it there, I don't like it!

I think my favorite in the thread is post #16, the 2nd photo. that's similar to Chris Tran's as well, with 2 islands and a space between them. Maybe I could try something like that...

That would look nice, but I wouldn't put anything too close to the side glass since you have such great 3 sided viewing potential.

Here are the two mega cube threads on RC (really one thread with a split):

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344317

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1085721

If you want inspiration, and have a lot of time, you'll find it in these.

(edited)

Would it be crazy to not use all 3 sides for viewing, on a cube tank, like this?

It could kind of look like a 3ft wide version this (only in my dreams?):

p_018_l.jpg

p_109_l.jpg

This guy has the lagoon I was initially considering, and it doesn't look that bad.

Here is another one. The second photo doesn't look that bad does it?

Or how about this one?

Does anyone have a favorite of these aquascapes for a 3'x3' tank?

Edited by Ryan S

Is that Steve Wheast's tank?

One of my all-time favorite setups and where my vote would lie. I love the canyon look.

Of the links, the last is my favorite. Many of the others have dense, low structures that feel sort of "klunky" to me.

(edited)

Is that Steve Wheast's tank?

One of my all-time favorite setups and where my vote would lie. I love the canyon look

It sure is. Do you think it could be recreated in a 3' x 3' tank? (his tank was 6' x 7.5').

The only downside is that my tank wouldn't be viewable from 3 sides with his setup (and to be honest, I think I'd be okay with that). I'd need to pile rocks against the 2 side walls... And I could wrap the black acrylic from the back to cover both sides as well...

Edited by Ryan S

I haven't heard anything recently, but I know he had a major crash a couple of years back. I looked a bit but wasn't able to find anything recently.

I don't think you would need to eliminate the view from the two sides or stack against the wall, although I note that would be the easiest way to do it.

I think you could do it in a 3x3 tank, but it will be tough. You have rock now, right? Play with it!