Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

Ryan, what's the ceiling made of? Is it really "not an option" if it's totally repairable? A hole in drywall is *easily* repaired. If not, some other suspended option really will give you the most flexibility and maintainability for the configuration you're talking about.

You know, I get teased for changing my mind a lot. But many times it's you guys that cause that to happen.

I think the ceiling is made of drywall. Same for the wall behind the tank. If I can patch it/sand it/paint it white so they don't know I hung something, then I suppose it's fair game. I took some photos of the ceiling, wall behind the tank (a bracket could hang the light from back there too right?) and the fan over the dining room table, which looks like it was mounted easily enough. I don't want a canopy-less top though, I'd at least need the sides to remain to keep the light in the tank, but I could lower it in from the ceiling or a bracket attached to the wall behind the tank I guess. Are there easy to install brackets or wire hanging kits that would work for me? It would be nice to press a button or turn a lever, to raise the reflector up 3 feet so i could work in the tank while its lit... Or a bracket behind the tank that I could just swing to the side to get into the tank, etc...

gallery_2631706_3_280776.jpg

gallery_2631706_3_427072.jpg

gallery_2631706_3_323570.jpg

gallery_2631706_3_493365.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drywall? Easy as pie. And, when you're moving out, you just patch the hole with a little drywall compound, sand it flush and use a little latex ceiling paint.

Hanging the light can be as simple as a toggle bolt and hook. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions here for alternatives that are fancier.

Well, I drilled the hole to hang the eye-bolt for the light, and what do you know, the hole landed right on a metal stud in the ceiling. Figures. So I moved it back an inch or so, and got the hook in the ceiling. Forget the name of the part I used, but it opens up and spreads out on the other side of the drywall, so it should be safe to hold the light without any issues. I think it's rated to 45lbs, and the light is maybe 5lbs. I need to patch the first hole and sand it, so it looks better. I'll do that later this week. Tomorrow I will put together the 3'x3' screen top for the tank. I also did a 10% water change tonight. I need to borrow the PAR meter again to test this light. Any who, this is what it looks like.

gallery_2631706_3_85844.jpg

gallery_2631706_3_110218.jpg

I need to borrow the PAR meter again to test this light.

With all that light does it really matter?! :) Like the coverage. Interested to see how you handle the hood and heat.

Man, I love this thread!!!

Looks good. It's called a toggle bolt if it has two wings with a spring that spreads them open when you push it through the hole.

Toggle bolt, thanks Alan, that's it then.

should have just drilled through the stud.

Well, the problem with the stud is that the hole was actually on the edge of the stud, not dead center, so I could've gone forward, and had to drill the center of the stud, or backward, and just had to deal with drywall. I am hoping I can patch the hole up somewhat nicely.

With all that light does it really matter?! :) Like the coverage. Interested to see how you handle the hood and heat.

I am thinking heat shouldn't be an issue with the open top (versus the closed canopy w/ fans). The coverage is good, but I need the PAR meter for reassurance that I am getting good par all over the tank. It just doesn't look as bright as I was expecting. THEN AGAIN - I am running 20k Plusrite bulbs of unknown age (they came with the fixture). So when I get the brand new bulb up there (12k Plusrite), I am thinking the tank will be super bright! Hopefully they get delivered this week.

I forgot to mention, I polished the reflector with a little vinegar and water, which totally made it super shiny again! Definitely worth doing.

Most of the time 3/8" drywall is used in ceilings...

You really trust a toggle bolt hanging over a damp environment with 3/8" drywall???

Hope no one is home when that comes crashing down...

Edited by John

how do you handle evaporation? with that light and no canopy the evap is going to increase a lot. Just be careful so that your salinity doesn't get out of wack.

Most of the time 3/8" drywall is used in ceilings...

You really trust a toggle bolt hanging over a damp environment with 3/8" drywall???

Hope no one is home when that comes crashing down...

You mean 5/8", I hope. 1/2" is common on interior walls. 5/8" is common in ceilings. Sometimes 1/2" but the extra thickness resists sagging. I've never seen 3/8" used in ceiling applications.

how do you handle evaporation? with that light and no canopy the evap is going to increase a lot. Just be careful so that your salinity doesn't get out of wack.

Especially moving from LEDs to a 400w MH. I will definitely keep an eye on it.

It all looks great, Ryan. Did you use the black bird netting they have or did you find some source of clear mesh? Either works fine in my opinion.