Der ABTs 120g

Well time has come to start a new build thread, well it will be a slow build as time is well hard to find. The 90g is getting torn down and will be a good friends new addiction. I will be helping them set up their new reef and hopefully they will join us on the boards soon.

The 90g treated and taught me alot, some good examples

Dont ever have a battery above the water that isnt secured 6 times over...impending doom can occur.

Dont use craigslist rock.....you get what you pay for (mine was from a used tank that i had to sell when we moved)

Aiptasia can be a bane of your existence or food for your new breeding experiment.

dont overcrowd corals...let em grow (i still dont listen to this one)

So my now packed 90g and 30breeder are goign to be combined into a 120g, 50g sump, and one day will replumb in a frag tank (looking at moving and this many tanks and house sales dont work together well). I will eventually be taking down my Nudi breeding set up and will hopefully just have 1 tank running (maybe a frag if i can convince the courts) so that i can actually spend some more time being a father and with my car.

Here are some corals from the 90g where things are looking good, so might as well mess it all up and make some major changes right?

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

My main goal is clean and babyproof.......hopefully this will work out but there will be a for sale thread shortly im sure when i try to clean out everything i have been stocking/i mean hoarding..... and then a day after its gone ill be contacting you saying i need it (the way it always works for me)

Im going to try and reuse some of the rock as there are a few piece i really like (after i kill all the aiptasia that is) and then will be getting some new rock as well from F&F as they have been getting some crazy nice rock in lately.

Again will stay with the Barebottom as its addicting - though i hope to be able to cover it with zoas one day.

Here is the beginning of the stand build, basic design and just trying to clean things up and have all wires hidden from curious fingers....not going to do anything too fancy on the outside and im not the greatest wood worker so hopefully it doesnt look too bad. Here is the beginning of skinning i finally got time to do on fathers day.

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

Here is the equipment board, it will be on a hinged door so it can be accessed easily

IMG_0175.jpg

I made the stand a little bigger than the tank so that i had some more room to hide everything in the stand and actually close it off this time (last tank i never ended up making a door for it).

haha holding out nothing!! what you talking bout willis, Alot of these came from you...im just hoping i can make room to add more once the frag tank is taken down.

So the tank will be

120 Oceanic Tech 3 sided starphire with internal overflows (not my choice but will work just the same) (4x2x2)

2x250 radiums...lumenarc reflectors galaxy ballast

LED supplimentals (12 Cree RB maybe more with Fishmans Driver Board) and maybe 2x54w t5s as well but they may disappear

Avast CS-1

Avast Calcium Reactor

Avast Kalk Reactor

Avast MR-5 18 with biopellets

Debating on UV or not, i need new bulbs but have been running over a year without it and seen no ill effects

Im goign to try out the new HY5000 water blaster and see how it runs for a return pump with a manifold to run a reactor and other stuff.

Right now i just need more time to actually put things together. I need to make like two more cuts for the skin and then the door. actually drill out and mount the equipment board and then everything should be ready to be painted/stained and plumbed. Hopefully this wont take me that long (im aiming to have it ready in the next month or so)

• 2 months later...

Not too much of an update and no pics unfortunately. Ive been travelling almost non stop for the past 4 weeks....just getting rediculous and unfortunately with the power outage from the hurricane had a slight top off problem when my pump was stuck off for 4-5 days. While im glad to say no loses.....except color...i had been getting REALLY good colors recently and seems the salinity creep up set me back a bit....my granulosa's really show the loss in color (along with a cali tort and a couple others) while a few others were unaffected...what can ya do.

Stand is finally getting painted and will hopefully finish it up tonight or tomorrow. then just have to stain another coat and make some door skins for the front and side equipment panels.

then it should just be getting the tank up on there and drilling holes for my overflows in the stand. Fit the sump etc. and get to plumbing and finally making the hood (and am going to try one DIY reflector)

Im just happy i actually have done some work on it....our house is being remodled and it is H-E-double hockey sticks...just rediculous.....I am just itching to get it completed and out of my hair. one day it will be done one day....hopefully this year at this rate

Next is a bearing replacement for a noisy MP40 dryside (anyone else need bearings ill be ordering soon and will put up a post about it)

A+ to ecotech, i had a driver fail from a drop of water and they went out of the way to get me a replacement (after i bought a used one of course) so now i have a backup haha. They know how to keep your business which is rare these days.

thats about it otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Well stand is painted and stained finally....Just need to finish up the sides and front door once i get the equipment board finished. which is just a few more cuts. and a coat of paint.

will be doing magnets on the sides and not sure for the front but probalby magnets as well....i testfitted the magents on the side before i stained and im excited to see how it turns out at the end.

not sure on the front as it may weigh too much and id be afraid of my daughter being able to pull it down (trying to make this tank baby safe)...i guess i could always make some form of a lock.

other than that not too much new to report. Corals are coloring back up well...need to frag a few and get rid of some others to make room.

Also debating whether or not to use wheels on the stand..though i just dont think they would be used that often.

Well stand is painted and stained finally....Just need to finish up the sides and front door once i get the equipment board finished. which is just a few more cuts. and a coat of paint.

will be doing magnets on the sides and not sure for the front but probalby magnets as well....i testfitted the magents on the side before i stained and im excited to see how it turns out at the end.

not sure on the front as it may weigh too much and id be afraid of my daughter being able to pull it down (trying to make this tank baby safe)...i guess i could always make some form of a lock.

other than that not too much new to report. Corals are coloring back up well...need to frag a few and get rid of some others to make room.

Also debating whether or not to use wheels on the stand..though i just dont think they would be used that often.

Baby proofing is a big consideration for me as well. I'd lean towards not doing magnets, as I'm not sure how you could easily install child locks on your stand. Are you keeping your controller out or under the stand?

What I'm only keeping food and towels under the tank so hopefully will be safe from inquisitive hands but if I kept sump/electronics down there I'd want to make sure no kids could get in there.

im making an equipment board inside the tank seen in its prelim phase here

Equip Board

IMG_0175.jpg

it will be very similar to this Viewpoints tank

Electronics.jpg?t=1298860414just layed out different obviously (its Viewpoints build thread over on RC) Saw it an really liked it...so im going to give it a shot.

basically all of the wires etc will be tucked behind the board and routed so taht yuo cant see them, ACIII will be on the right side of it...that board will be on a hinge for access to the plugs in back. then i was going to have the sides on magnets with no handles....that way to open them and access the wires youd simply have to push out from the inside and they would pop off.

ill enclose the front a little different, probably a single sheet you have to lift upto take off, as im not a huge fan of doors and the space they take up.but havent really decided how ill do it yet...if i do magnets i was going to have a door handle in the top type of latch to be somewhat baby safe. but my daughter is too smart so i dont know if that will even work....one day ill figure it out and hopefully have a new tank up and running...one day.

Edited by Der ABT

haha yeh i have a friend that professionally does tint and stuff (on homes, buildings etc not cars) and they have been using the carbon stuff for a while, its actually a good idea i may have to look into and see if he can get me some scraps. though paint isnt that hard

unfortunately the black one is not mine but what im going for....should be very similar.

• 4 weeks later...

well I havent had a chance to do too much, stand is basically finished (just need a little bit of final skinning and to populate the equipment board.

then just need to build a hood. just need to get the time to do it (and the ability to get to my tools as the kitchen/house remodel is taking over everything

here are a couple of recent pics from the tank

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

im going for the general theme of overcrowding...i guess thats the point to an upgrade

attempted crappy fts

IMG_0634.jpg

i need to get a tripod

• 5 months later...

HOLY CRAP IM SLOW

well am a step closer to getting the hood done, have the frame built just need to test fit and put on some hinges... was able to cut some wood now that the weather is nicer

here are some updates from the 90g more new additions but i have a ton of other pics waiting to share one day...next i may try a video since everyone is doing it.

IGNORE THE DIRT/BUBBLE ALGEA/ and few remaining aiptasia

some zoas

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

and for the sps lovers

IMG_2594.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg