Mikes 29gal Biocube

Update time...

1 - Harlequin shrimp made fast work of my asterina outbreak. I got rid of it once I didn't notice any for a while.

2 - Nitrates are hovering around 10-20.

3 - Removed gfo, and started vinegar today... Starting at 1ml/day (first week) will go to 2ml/day second week, and 5/ml third week, and will closely monitor nitrates with my salifert kit. Hopefully by the end of the third week I can cut back to a maint dose.

4 - Replaced my chem-pure as well since I can't remember the last time I did that.

5 - Blue chromi passed a while back, so I am sticking with only 4 fish now. Probably lighter stock than most, but it satifies me.

Corals are growing well for the most part. Looking to get some better color, but who isn't.

FTS to continue to track progress:

6722557211_4c59279336_b.jpg

tank 1.17 by mteske1, on Flickr

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking good mike! looks like things are growing in pretty well.

Thanks Roni. The monti's are beginning to battle for territory... I need to get them on disks to ensure I always have some "seeds."

6728485475_54180bcc8d_b.jpg

frags 1.19.12 by mteske1, on Flickr

Hoping to encrust the plugs in 2 months... Time will tell.

Your pictures do this tank no justice (no offense).. I was ALL the way out there and got to see the tank. Its looks amazing.. Crystal clear water, pretty color corals, and an extremely clean set up, inside and out. Mike, you really have done a nice job on this tank. Its been a good tank to watch grow. Oh, and the LED color is really nice with the blend youre using as well..

Your pictures do this tank no justice (no offense).. I was ALL the way out there and got to see the tank. Its looks amazing.. Crystal clear water, pretty color corals, and an extremely clean set up, inside and out. Mike, you really have done a nice job on this tank. Its been a good tank to watch grow. Oh, and the LED color is really nice with the blend youre using as well..

Thanks Travis. Check out Post #49 in this thread. You can see the orange crush acan the night I got it... only 1 head with a baby...

That acan is awesome btw.. It seems to be doing really well, eats like a pig.!!

That's good. It lightened up a little when I originally started my LED's @ 100% power... But, it was doing well. Went from 1.1/2 heads to like 8-9. I target fed it probably less than 5 times over the year I had it. It could take down a mysis though. haha

(edited)

Your corals are just growing like crazy! What ever your doing keep it up! Awesome!!

Thanks, I am pretty happy. I heard it would be hard to keep sps in a small tank due to instability, but I put a LOT of effort to keep things balanced.

I use B-ionic for alk and calc, and kent for mag. I dilute 200ml of bionic with 600ml of water. I dose 3 times a day with timers set to run for 15 minutes each. This is the single best thing I have done with this tank to help.

I have the tunze ato and nano skimmer as well, which have really allowed me to step back from daily maintanence.

My nitrates are actually around 10-15 right now... I have only been doing water changes of 3-4 gallons like once a month (if that)... I am hoping the few acro's I have improve if I can get them <5. I am on day 3 of vinegar dosing right now.

The key imo to a small tank is pick ONE type of coral. You are just making it harder on yourself if you want to put softies and sps together in a 20gal tank. Hard to overcome chemical warfare.

Also, for anyone who is a test freak get the hanna alk checker. It is soo easy and quick. I test my alk at least once a week to ensure my dosing is on track.

Edited by BowieReefer84

• 1 year later...

Make it happen :)  There is a nice 29 gallon biocube for sale....

No, you do not understand.  I may literally get this tank back...  I sold it to a friend (not on wamas).  He is just running it with a pair of black clowns now.

I just gotta convince him it's not worth what I sold it to him for.

no one ever really gets out do they? haaaaaaaaaaaaa

this is such a sickness....

That's putting it mildly

• 2 months later...

It's amazing how that bubble algae grew so quickly, what since, July??????

To heck with emerald crabs... that tank needs paul b's crab!  :laugh: