Mikes 29gal Biocube

I picked up a biocube recently, and I am slowly gathering parts to get it how I want it. My plans are:

1. Tunze 9002 nano

2. Vortech MP10 (to keep heat out of tank)

3. Nanocustoms LED Retro (to keep heat out of tank)

4. Mediabasket for 2nd chamber with purigen middle, chemipure bottom, and filterfloss on top

5. Heater in 1st chamber on a ranco temp controller.

6. Tunze osmolator for top off and to keep the 9002 running nice (I hear consistent water level is key for this skimmer)

7. Stock return pump for now (maybe a rio6hf at some point)

8. NO chiller tongue.gif

Right now the tank is still stock. I plan to gather the above over the next few months.

For livestock I only plan on 1-2 fish. I really like the flasher wrasses. I have a fire shrimp, and a small cleanup with ceriths and nasarius snails with some hermits as well.

For corals I want to go sps. I think the lights and flow should be enough, and with the ato salinity will not be a problem. Also, with a light bioload it should help me out. I won't be stock corals for probably 6 months or so.

HERE ARE THE PICTURES OF IT SO FAR!!!!

gallery_2632417_841_206325.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_483197.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_31811.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_365092.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_217451.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_379152.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_129549.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_187136.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_99879.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_131406.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_458782.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_169844.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_146578.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_64066.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_421436.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_19454.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_194923.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_436632.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_46964.jpg

gallery_2632417_841_346982.jpg

All of these pictures were taken with my new AT&T Samsung Galaxy S. It has this cool feature where you use your finger on the screen to pick a focus point. Let's you adjust for the proper lighting point. It is pretty cool imo.

Also, as a shameless plug ALL of the corals above are included in the sale of my old 29gal tank setup SEEN HERE http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/39274-misc-drygoods-for-sale/page__p__336159&?do=findComment&comment=336159 As you can see many are on rocks and they are included. I really have too much rock in the cube right now...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats in the 8th picture?

They are mushrooms. They were open up larger, but they were just transferred to this tank. The larger one is a little bigger than a half dollar. (they came from Mr. Coral about 4-5 months back). I do not know if they have a specific name.

Looks like a nice setup so far.

Just thinking about the flasher wrasses, they're beautiful, but they swim around a lot in my experience and may run out of swimming room in a tank of that size, unless it's going the be the absolute ONLY fish, and even then, I would be cautious.

EDIT: I looked flasher wrasses up again, and it should be fine as long as its about the only fish in the tank.

Edited by WaterDog

do break out the false floors, exacto off some of rear black vinyl and add a light and chaeto

don't cut to enlarge the spill-over from chamber 1 to 2

also you can keep the water way above the max level

I think you'll need additional fans cut into the back of the lid to handle the LED heat

do break out the false floors, exacto off some of rear black vinyl and add a light and chaeto

don't cut to enlarge the spill-over from chamber 1 to 2

also you can keep the water way above the max level

I think you'll need additional fans cut into the back of the lid to handle the LED heat

False floor in chamber one is gone. I did that a couple days ago, and put the heater in there

I did NOT cut the tab b/t 1 and 2. Why do you say not to out of curiosity? Most tanks I have looked at did cut it... I am not decided.

Yea, once I get the skimmer setup I figure my water level will basically be at the top.

The nanocustoms LED retro comes with silentx 16db fans. I would just go with those. LED's won't be near as hot as the PC's based on the research I have done.

On the new biocubes (at least the 29gal) they are painted black on the back. However, there is already a clear square in the center of chamber 2 that is not painted. I guess this is an update. However, with the media basket and skimmer I am not going to put any chaeto in the tank. Not right away at least.

Thank you for the tips!

False floor in chamber one is gone. I did that a couple days ago, and put the heater in there

I did NOT cut the tab b/t 1 and 2. Why do you say not to out of curiosity?

Thank you for the tips!

With the tab cut I found the Media basket overflowed and too much went around it.

Everything else sounds on track!

gallery_2632417_841_345312.jpg

Thanks to El Camaron for the MP10. Things are starting to come together... Still a far way to go.

I have it on medium strength lagoon(purple) with night mode set. Anyone think there is a better setting? I need to redo my rock work, but that can wait.

your tank is coming together nicely. once you have the Tunze 9002 skimmer setup; can you take couple pictures of it sitting the back chamber? I have a 12g nanocube and was wondering if i can use the same skimmer.

your tank is coming together nicely. once you have the Tunze 9002 skimmer setup; can you take couple pictures of it sitting the back chamber? I have a 12g nanocube and was wondering if i can use the same skimmer.

Yea, I do not have one yet. I had a couple offers, but I was concerned because I looked for replacement pumps and it seems there was a design change at some point. From what I gathered models made prior to 2009 do not work with the replacement pump tunze now sells. Can't say for sure, as the info is hard to put together. I don't want to end up with a skimmer that needs a replacement pump 6 months after purchase, and I can not find one.... I may just cough up the cash for a new one. Still undecided.wacko.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I bit the bullet and made some orders tonight. I have a Tunze 9002, Intank cup, and media basket on order. Also, some purigen and chemipure to go in the bottom two levels of the media basket. Got to $175 and change for free shipping on marinedepot, and it was $10 shipping on intank. Filter floss will go in the top level. I am very happy with how the setup is coming along, and maintenance on this tank is a breeze!!!

I will post some pictures once I get all the parts put in.

ChrisTran, I will measure it and let you know how much room it takes up to see if it would be an option for you as well. Although, if you google you may be able to find out beforehand.

Still to come . . . LED's. Many of the corals above were sold to finance these purchases. I am going to be very picky on stocking new corals.

Well, I got my order from InTank today. The skimmer cup for the Tunze 9002, and the media basket. To bad my Tunze isn't here yet . . . O well. Anyone considering getting things from InTank definitely do it. They delivered very fast, and the packaging was VERY good. Products seem very well made. Acrylic is thick!

A couple pics.

gallery_2632417_852_32557.jpg

Updated FTS (removed/sold some LR to have a more open setup)

gallery_2632417_852_52141.jpg

Soon I will have the LED's, and start adding back frags into the tank.

Tunze skimmer is now setup. I did a mod to relocate the adjustment knob up to a more comfortable level. Saw it on youtube, and it looked good. Just a matter of using a new piece of airline tubing and an air valve. Also, added the intank skimmer cup.

I also now have the mediarack setup with chemipure, purigen, and floss up top. I decided against a refugium with macro based on opinions of others. I was told it would not have been a big enough fuge to make much difference...

I tested my nitrates and they were at 10-15. I am going to keep testing every few days to see if they get down to <5 or ZERO.

Picture - - - - - - ->

gallery_2632417_856_237577.jpg

gallery_2632417_856_26156.jpg

gallery_2632417_856_135268.jpg

gallery_2632417_856_311153.jpg

RAPID LED Kit. 12 royal blue and 12 XP-G cool white. Meanwell drivers LPC-60-1050 for the whites, and LPC-35-700 for the blues. Couple upgraded fans with speed control. Drilled and tapped heatsink with holes to align in biocube 29. To bad I have no idea how to put it together. I have someone to help me with that. Picture to follow in a couple weeks....

gallery_2632417_856_447678.jpg

I just ordered a 12 LED kit from Rapid LEDS. So they don't include any wiring instructions?

Nope, they sure don't. I wanted to PM Evil over on nanoreef, but just created a free account and it would not let me. I have googled, and can't find one . . .

I wasn't expecting a diagram, but it would have been nice. The service was great though, and I am happy with the purchase so far . . . ultimate review will be once they are lit up!

(edited)

Best youtube I have found on how to solder. I think there are a lot of people who will benefit from the video as well...

Let me know if you have any other info this does not include on technique.

Another good one too -

Edited by BowieReefer84

Made a trip to radioshack today. Picked up a 40watt iron, .031" 60/40 rosin core (w/ lead), and some 20ga wire. Also, some cheap circuit boards to practice on before zapping the cree's. So far I only mounted the LED's on the heatsink with the thermal paste and screws. I tried to line up the +/- to make the wiring easy. We will see once I start running them how that works out . . .

gallery_2632417_861_169180.jpg

gallery_2632417_861_441507.jpg

No, I did not use nyloc washers. The screws are not even close to touching the pretin. Also, the guys at rapid told me the anodizing makes it ok if they were to touch? Not sure I believe that. Here are their words (we are both Mike...),

"Hi Mike,

No, a nylon washer won't be necessary. I believe the anodizing stops the conductivity so you are good to go.

Mike"

Here is a message from Mike at RapidLEDS about my project.

Hi Larry,

You're getting thermal adhesive with the kit, in this case you can use thermal grease and thermal adhesive interchangeably. You'd get thermal grease if you had drilled/tapped heatsinks, but the same applies to thermal adhesive as well. The adhesive you get is permanent so you won't need any screws to hold the LEDs down.

Regards,

Mike

So with my kit from Rapidleds, I won't need to do any drilling & screws at-all. Sprprised you had to.

Yea, you won't have too. I like the idea of getting it drilled if I ever want to replace anything. The thermal adhesive is permanent... It only would have taken like 10 min to screw them all in. I took a while because I was trying to line them up properly for wiring. And, if I put any in the wrong orientation I can move them around.

That's cool (pun intended). I plan on working on my 1st LED job this weekend.

Here is an interesting build thread Mike from RapidLeds sent me.

Cool. I also did not use the wire nuts they included. I just spliced the wires from the drivers to the powercords with some solder and electrical tape over top. I still need to solder to LED's to each other before hooking it all up. Hoping to be done next week. I am going to NYC for the weekend to see RAAAAAAAANDY aka Aziz Ansari!