Baby Bangaiis

So Mumbles, my male Bangaii has been holding eggs / fry for 26 days and I was beginning to think he was never going to give them up.

But as of 2pm I have 2 baby bangaiis, and i assume more are on the way. Mumbles is still looking pretty full in the jaw.

Of course I have had fresh brine shrimp napauli prepared for a week, but today i have none. I started a new batch last night so I should have some fresh food by late tonight or early tomorrow.

Finally!

Laura

(edited)

Well these pics aren't the greatest but they are the best I can get of the two babies, and one of dad with his mouth still full.

For perspective the fake plant they are hanging out by has about a 2 inch base.

They are all in a 10g tank with a 4 inch air stone and a fake plant. I had a a low flow power head in there for circulation but removed it once I saw the babies.

Luckily i did a 1 gallon water change yesterday. With just the dad in there, the water stayed quite clean since he doesn't eat, he doesn't poop.

I'll be adding a sponge filter in the next few days hopefully.

IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

Laura

Edited by Sharkey18

That's awesome Laura! Let us know how they do. I had a batch but lost the last one at about 2-3 weeks. I was trying to raise them in a breeder container in the display and don't know if the problem was wrong food (I was using frozen cyclopeeze, which they did eat) or not enough flow through the container.

Thanks Rob! As soon as he is finished!

Last I checked there were about 12 babies. My back is aching from leaning over the tank and my eyes hurt from trying to count.

This "labor" has lasted 8 hrs already. Hopefully he is done by morning, although sometimes they take several days to let them all go.

At least is seems like it will be a decent sized clutch. Nice job for his first time.

They are really small and congregate at the bottom so the black trim on the tank makes it impossible to see them all.

Pics in the am!!

Laura

Thanks for the info Hilary. I was wondering about cyclopeeze. I might try it, although everything I have read says brine shrimp nauplii or rotifers. No way am I getting into rotifers, so hopefully I can get them to survive on brine shrimp nauplii!!!

I am planning on keeping them in the 10 gallon, but will move the larger babies to one of the refugiums once they start out competing the smaller ones. We'll see how it goes.

Apparently the male can start carrying a new clutch just 3 to 5 weeks after releasing the previous clutch.

For what it's worth, after reading and hearing Paul B talk at the last (?) meeting I have been feeding live black worms in my tanks. I actually started BEFORE the meeting after reading some of Paul's articles. Apparently, they work! I have recently set up a black worm breeding tank so that I don't have to buy them and rinse them etc. etc. I haven't harvested any yet, but they seem to be doing well and it's been about three weeks since I started the black worm tank.

And check this out, I have a spawning crab as well! Crazy!

IMG_2757.jpg

Laura

Thanks for the compliments on the photo. I am a terrible photographer so it's a small miracle.

Speaking of poor photography, here are the babies. I think there are 23 +/- 2.

I removed dad back to the 120.

And they had their first mean of nauplii this morning. I think I need to ramp up my brine production though....

Laura

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

If they make it I would be interested in a school of them

Your pictures put a smile on my face, Laura. Thank you and congratulations!

Thanks everyone! I am so excited about the babies. I am hoping most of them will survive, although I know some losses are inevitable.

I won't even think about placing them until they are at least 3 months old, so I will surely post when they are available.

Preference will be given to anyone serious about trying to breed them. A nice stock of locally bred Bangaiis would be awesome.

Right now I have a new problem. I put the dad back in the 120 and it seems that he is getting his butt kicked, so I need to get him out... or the other male I think took over while he was gone. Making a new trap right NOW.

Laura

Good luck with the clowns Chip! I've had a nice pair for about 2 years now but have never had any eggs. But Clowns are a lot harder no?

Laura

We're ready to collect as of right now.

Almon set me up with rotos and live phyto and the lights and circ are all off in the Afarm waititng for them to hatch.

FYI

I just nominated your crab pic for POTM.

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your bangaii raising experience! Let me know if you need to harvest some pods or mysis for them to eat as they grow larger.

congrats, let us know more with updates, i just set up a new tank and was thinking of trying my luck as well with them, any suggestions?

Congratulations and great pics!!!

I love to see stuff like this, it really makes me feel good about the progress of the hobby! clap.gif

Bangaii baby update:

Has anyone ever seen Sudden Fright Syndrome in baby fish? Wow, it's intense!!! I read about it a week ago in an article from Frank Marini. Basically it is a short circuit of the nervous system when a large stimulus is introduced like turning on lights or feeding etc. it is caused by a lack of HUFA's in the diet, and I admit I was not enriching my nauplii. So this morning I added the baby brine shrimp and about half of the baby fish go catatonic..... one right after the other. I was horrified. They were floating on the bottom, stuck in the fake plant, all over the place lying on their sides. I thought I was going to lose the entire clutch. I figured it was SFS. I didn't really know what to do so I just kept them moving. I grabbed the siphon tube I use to collect the brine nauplii and started stirring. Amazingly enough, it worked. Some took longer than others but eventually they all came around. When I left for work some of them still looked a bit wobbly but once I got home they all seemed fine. If I lost any, it's only one or two. It was crazy. They all started feeding and then starting "falling over" on their sides, and sinking to the bottom.

So now I am enriching my brine cultures with HUFA and phyto. What a freakin pain.

But the babies are 9 days old today and other than whatever brain damage they sustained this morning :unsure:, they seem to be doing fine. This evenings feeding was uneventful!

Laura