When corals attack...

Sharkey18

So I was working in my tank on Sunday.

Moved a lot of rock around and scraped up my hands a bit. Came out with two scratches.

Yesterday they looked a bit infected and hurt. But this morning.... it's getting worse.

This is the one on my hand. The one on my finger is not that bad.

I have no time for a Dr. today and am flying to NY tomorrow. I was thinking about lancing it.

I have gotten cuts like this before and they always clear up on their own, but, they also never got this bad.

Anyone with a similar situation? What did you do? (Other than a Dr. visit!)

Laura

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

I would absolutely go to the doctor without hesitation. PERIOD. You never know the extent, or if it will get worse. Plus no two people respond the same to infections. Bee's can kill some while others are fine. Just be safe and get it checked out.

I had to get a tetnis shot and antibotics with my cut. I have never been in so much pain in my life. I could sleep at night i hurt so bad. Cuts in our tank get infected right away and need doctors attention.

There have been a couple of threads in the last several months on this issue. The one I most remember is John's (owner of BRK) where he got a cut, waited a few days before seeing a Dr. and the Dr. told him if he had waited another day or two he would have had to amputate his thumb. Don't wait. It's definitely infected, see a Dr.

Good decision, Laura. I just came across this. Going to see a doctor is by far the best thing for this. Keep an eye on it, too, and be prepared to seek a doctor's help in NY if it's not clearing up.

Doctor doctor, gimme the news. I got a bad case of coral blues...

Sorry couldn't resist. At least now you'll have something to hum and laugh about while in the waiting room. Hope you feel better soon!

Since we are on this subject, last Friday I was rearranging some big pieces of liverock and I picked up one that was covered in those calcified tubes and a piece about 1/2" long sunk into my thumb. I thought this is how people get reef rash. I pulled it out and sucked on it till lots of fresh blood came out. I continued to work on the tank. On Saturday, the first joint of my thumb had swollen to the point where bending it hurt badly. 2 days later, the swelling went away and thumb works like normal.

2 days later, the swelling went away and thumb works like normal.

my hero :-) .. likewise, I've gotten a few scrapes & abrasions, but I generally just wash them with soapy water and go on with life. ONCE I had an actual scrape that produced a little blood - I did the soapy wash then covered it with a Neosporin laced bandaid. It never got to the point where it was even puffy.

However, with some of the heavier rocks I'm collecting, I think a pair of gloves are in my NEAR future.

I'm glad your going to the doctor. Looks like you may need some antibiotics. get well soon.

J

Can you give an update after the doctor? I am just curious because I never wear gloves, and I think it's time to start.

sorry about that... is there a way to delete post entirely?

Ask a mod/admin

Can you give an update after the doctor? I am just curious because I never wear gloves, and I think it's time to start.

sorry about that... is there a way to delete post entirely?

Extra posts deleted.

Everytime I add new corals (especially zoos) I think about this and what that guy Steve went thru. I double up on gloves, and I got this darn habit of rinsing my mouth out with Mouthwash when I'm done. It's almost like a tic...lol

Everytime I add new corals (especially zoos) I think about this and what that guy Steve went thru. I double up on gloves, and I got this darn habit of rinsing my mouth out with Mouthwash when I'm done. It's almost like a tic...lol

Yea, I spend almost 10 minutes washing out my mouth whenever I have to restart the siphon on on the U-tube... :blush:

Hope you feel better!

(edited)

I always use my mouth to get the siphon going when doing a waterchange. Rarely am I able to "win" and stop before the water gets me. I never think much of it, because it's not like I haven't ever had real ocean water in my mouth. The powerhead in my tank isn't strong enough to get it started. Any tips?

Edited by BowieReefer84

Yea, I spend almost 10 minutes washing out my mouth whenever I have to restart the siphon on on the U-tube... :blush:

Hope you feel better!

There is a better way to start a U-tube. Tap a small tube into it, and suck out the AIR... you need a little valve to close it again, is all.

bob

Well as expected, I did NOT make my Dr. appt. :sad:

I did however lance the wound. It drained and feels and looks a lot better.

I am keeping a close eye on it and if it gets worse I will see a Dr. up in NY. I'll keep you posted!

Laura

Yeah, that guy Steve really got messed up.......oh wait, that was me! I learned a very important lesson; don't screw with mother nature. I'd make going to the Dr. a priority when you get up to NY whether it's feeling worse or not. Poisons have a funny way of doing damage while not showing so outwardly. I thought it was just my allergies that were acting up and within 4 hours my lungs started collapsing.......not fun. Get to the Dr., better safe than sorry (I particularly like my hands and would like to keep them).

OK, I never went to the doctor.

Like I said I lanced it, with a sterile scalpel blade from my frag kit.

That relieved a lot of the pressure and thus the pain.

I then kept it bandaged with some neosporin for a few days and it seems to be healing slowly but surely.

The Dr. would have probably given me broad spectrum antibiotics to help fight it off, but I hate the idea of taking systemic medication for a localized infection.

That said, if it had spread, gotten worse or not started to heal a Dr. trip was just a phone call away and I was always prepared to do that at any time.

If whatever it was had gone systemic or infected the bone or muscle, I could have had a much bigger problem. And since it is not completely healed, I am still examining it twice a day.

I acknowledge I took a risk, but I think it was an educated risk.

I will add that I have a PhD in microbiology and immunology so I was perhaps more comfortable taking this risk than others might be. Or perhaps it gives me a false sense of confidence. :eek:

What I will do in the future is wash my hands VERY thoroughly with soap and water after I have been messing in my tanks, especially if I know I have gotten scratched, which I did.

This also might be one of the few times that an antimicrobial soap could be useful. That alone may have prevented any infection from taking hold.

So that is my bottom line. Wash your hands thoroughly after messing in your tank. Couldn't hurt. Could help.

Laura