What SG and temp do you keep in your tank at?

Jan

I've read that SPS do best in somewhat high SG, 1.026 and above, but what about a mixed reef? What do you keep your SG at and why? What are the benefits of high and low SG? How low and how high are safe? What about temp? I've seen people keep it as high as 84 and as low as 77 degree F. What are the advantages or disadvantage, if any? What's the safe range, high and low for reef? Thanks.

1.026 - just because that's where it's recommended. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

77.0 at the low end (heaters come on at this temp and push temp up to 77.5); 77.8 at the high end (fan comes on at this temp and push it down to 77.2). I did this to slow the metabolism of the various organisms in the tank. I used to run the temperature in the 80-81 range, but decreased it recently. I've never had much difficulty with either range to tell the truth. RHF (in the article linked to above) runs his tank between 80-81. I may increase it again just to see if I get any change in coral growth rate and coloration....