Anyone regret their large tank??

Sharkey18

Hi all, I am planning on getting a larger tank (currently have a 54 gal) and am thinking about getting the largest tank I can fit, which would be a 250 deep: 60 x 36 x 27. Since I am still in the research phase I am wondering if anyone out there wishes they had gotten a SMALLER tank? Just trying to think about all the possible pitfalls, (other than eating up all my $$$).

Thanks for your input!

Laura

Laura-

If you have the $$$, I would say go large. As someone who has had many, many tanks, I really miss the space with my cube. If I knew then what I know now, I would have stuck with my 210g.

But remember, large tanks are a lot more work......and more $$$. More lights, larger skimmer, CA reactor to keep up with all the corals, higher water and electrical bills, more salt use, etc. So if you have the cash, go for it. If not, go in-between with a 120 or 150 tall.

Just my .02

I will have to agree with steveoutlaw....if you have the funds and am comfortable with it....go as large as you can. Initial setup costs are high, but once you have the equipment everything else does not seem to cost so much. Luckily, I have county water, so my water bill is cheap, but my BGE bill is steadily climbing to the mid to high $400's. Ughhh

I started with a 125g tank, then added a 180g and now just setup my 333g tank. Now I cannot wait to move my 125g tank's contents downstairs into my 180g tank.

I will have to agree with steveoutlaw....if you have the funds and am comfortable with it....go as large as you can. Initial setup costs are high, but once you have the equipment everything else does not seem to cost so much. Luckily, I have county water, so my water bill is cheap, but my BGE bill is steadily climbing to the mid to high $400's. Ughhh

I started with a 125g tank, then added a 180g and now just setup my 333g tank. Now I cannot wait to move my 125g tank's contents downstairs into my 180g tank.

Would love to stop buy and check out your 100 tanks sometime!

Not regretting the large tankas much as the occaisional rushed qt proceedure. it is just much arder to deal with issues with the large tank. Whatever you read about qt, triple it! I have had to deal with hydroids, redbugs, monti nudis, and AEFW. All a much bigger PIA with a large tank.

Don't ignore issues with humidity - be prepared for ~3-4 gals evaporation/day possible for an open tank ~200 gal. Where's that water going to go and are you ok with that (ie if it goes into the attic) ?

Don't ignore issues with humidity - be prepared for ~3-4 gals evaporation/day possible for an open tank ~200 gal. Where's that water going to go and are you ok with that (ie if it goes into the attic) ?

Ahhh...great point. When I setup my 333g + 100g sump in my spare bedroom in my basement, I felt like I was walking into a sauna everyday, so I went out and bought a dehumidifier. It is a 50 pint a day GE model, and I have been emptying the storage tank everyday. Once I get around to it, I will utilize the drain hook and never have to worry about emptying it.

Hi all, I am planning on getting a larger tank (currently have a 54 gal) and am thinking about getting the largest tank I can fit, which would be a 250 deep: 60 x 36 x 27. Since I am still in the research phase I am wondering if anyone out there wishes they had gotten a SMALLER tank? Just trying to think about all the possible pitfalls, (other than eating up all my $$$).

Thanks for your input!

Laura

I went from a 75g to a 135g tank. I often used to think my next tank would be 300g range, but lately I've been thinking my 135g is more than enough size for me to handle, especially financially. I think my next tank will be a cube, and downsized from what I have. Maybe a 90g cube or something. Just my 2cents.

I miss my 150, now I have a tank half the size and wish I wouldnt have sold it ( Dan, can I have it back now..!!) but I had issues that I didnt know how to fix, but we live and learn.. If you can afford it, go bigger..!!

I'm ordering my new tank soon.

125g is too small - depth wise, and a 300g maintanance wise.

wise.

Im leaning towards a 36" depth ~225-250g.

Probably 5"x3"

I figure it is the perfect match for what I'm looking for. I might go a tad smaller though.

I plan on doing it up pretty nice inside and out. o I want to keep it manageable, yet CLEAN looking .

I think the biggest mistake is going big then not having enough time or money to go "big" on the aesthetics - which is way ore important to me than just a huge "messy" looking setup.

Good luck finding your balance - Im still working on finding mine. :)

The costs add up fast... I went from a 7' long 220 to a 4' long 120 and I am very happy so far... EVERYTHING is easier and cheaper.... $140 in bulbs vs $300+ in bulbs.... $50 in kalk vs $100 in kalk... $100 in salt vs $200+ in salt... $100 in electricity vs $200+ in electricity (I have no clue actual usage)... and on and on and on... food, pumps, rock, interceptor, flatworm exit, dosing/additives, etc.... Catching fish is SOOO much easier now...

However, when I had my 220 in its glory... it was simply amazing... and I believe a large tank is more stable for parameters...

Edited by reefhunter

My only regret on a 150 gal is the 36 inch depth. PIA to clean glass, place frags and to have to get a step stool out every time to feed or work on the tank takes much dedication. Consider a more shallow tank with bigger foot print.

My only regret on a 150 gal is the 36 inch depth. PIA to clean glass, place frags and to have to get a step stool out every time to feed or work on the tank takes much dedication. Consider a more shallow tank with bigger foot print.

Bob - They are talking about 36" front to back. The 150s are 30" high, but still a pain to clean........snorkel and mask come in handy!!

For those interested in how much electricity you new tank will gobble up, I have developed an excel file for estimating the cost. It does not take into account the house heating savings and cooling costs.

Since I cannot attach this file, please contact me for a copy @ quazimeto @ aol.com

I just generated this to estimate my monthly costs for my 120 gallon tank. It looks like it will add at least $42/month to my electricity bill. Upgrading my primary pump will add $15 a month. I am considering what I want to do about that. It changes a lot of construction parameters.

Edited by quazi

I say go for it, you are already looking to go bigger and as stated above the tank will be more stable, but obviously more cost, greater results may also be in that mix! My next tank will hopefully be in the 8'x30"x24". Length, depth with a managable height. Depth is easier to manage with a little shallower tank at least for those of us without freakishly long arms ;-)

Thanks for all of the info. The humidity and increased importance of a QT are things I did not think about.

My tank is small now and I am a little bit nervous about going much bigger, but don't want to run out of space in another year or so....

I am planning on an in-the-wall setup with a dedicated fish room on the other side.

Where did you all purchase your big tanks from? I want to get it ordered soon.

Thanks again.

Laura

My display tank is a 5' x 3' tank. My ONLY complaints are as follows:

HARD for me to work toward the back of it with my short arms - so I don't really get as much use out of the depth as I had anticipated. Quite a chore placing a frag much beyond the halfway point. Ameliorate this by having the ability to raise your 'hood' well up above the tank, and access from the back. Mine has a 'calfo' overflow all the way across the back, making it hard to work from the back, even when I have the hood removed.

As Dbartco stated - what a pain having AEFW... I don't have SPACE elsewhere for all of those corals during treatment. And I have 'extra' - 33, 40, 50, 50-gallon tanks. Of course, I also have 200+ frags in those tanks. I keep shifting things around, and am moving non-acro's into the DT to make space for acro's coming out of the DT. I'm even considering putting a couple of smaller colonies in my 24-gallon tank upstairs for holding.

Other than that - I have been very pleased with my large tank.

bob

I went from a 75 Gal to a 265 Gal two years ago. I find it a lot easier to take care of. Of course it is going to be more expensive, but i think it is a lot more rewarding. To see all the different corals, fish and the aquascaping that can be accomplished. Not saying that smaller tanks are any less satisfying to those who have them. Equipment is more but as stated above about the Calcium reactor, I do not run one on my tank. I like being more of a hands on type of guy. With me adding Calcium and Alk. manually i also have to do more water testing. Which is alright by me since i like putting the time in with the tank. Bottom line is if it is what you want and can afford it, go for it. I wish i would have gone bigger. I will in the next couple of years be going bigger once i get my basement finished. Good luck and take time to think out everything.

go as big as your space and budget allow. I have 300 gallons and wish I had 700

Go see BRK and get your tank. But also make sure you vent out the excess humidity or get a dehumidifier. I know it has made wonders in my house.

Hmmm.... does 2 smaller tanks equal one larger tank? Together my tanks have a total system volumn of about 140 gallons.

I regret that I can't be satisfied with the small assortment of livestock that was possible in the nearly effortless nano that I had... instead I have to have 2 tanks. Even if I had one that was real big, I would have to have a second tank because I'm not willing to give up my beastly and rambunctious tomato clowns. Then of course, I want to eventually have seahorses and already have the tank for them (using to mix water at present), so I will eventually end up with 3 tanks regardless of the size of the biggest one.

Oh, and the bigger the tank is, the more of what my son calls "fish sh**" there is for him to have to walk around when I have it pulled out.

Thanks for all of the info. The humidity and increased importance of a QT are things I did not think about.

My tank is small now and I am a little bit nervous about going much bigger, but don't want to run out of space in another year or so....

I am planning on an in-the-wall setup with a dedicated fish room on the other side.

Where did you all purchase your big tanks from? I want to get it ordered soon.

Thanks again.

Laura

Laura -

I talked to Sean at F&F's today about ordering one from AGE. I'm still working out the dimensions, but I imagine it will be in the 180g-225g range from our discussion today and what I am looking for.