All fish dead after ick....

Sharkey18

I am new to this group and forum, so thanks for having me.

I have a 54 gallon corner reef tank operating for 9 months now. I am going through all of the new reef keeper problems.

Currently I am fighting algae as best I can and recently lost all my fish to ick. 2 clowns, 1 goby, 1 6 line wrasse.

How long do I wait before adding fish again? I've heard everything from 6 weeks to 3 months. Also is there anything I should do in the meantime to rid the tank of eggs/ larva. etc.

I'll save my algae questions for later....

laura

Get a good UV sterilizer and it'll solve your ich problem, and it'll also help you with your algae problem. Make sure you get a sterilizer that is rated for your tank size. Many of the sterilizers out there show their rating for killing only free-floating algae, not protozoans like ich. Go here:

http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/newsupport.htm

and checkout the sizing charts. I have used both AquaUV and the Current Gamma UV units. My Aqua UV has held strong for quite some time. The Gamma units are also good, but I have still seen the occasional white spot on fish in the tank where this tank is equipped. If you go with a Gamma unit, I'd get the next size up that they rate it for. Trust me, you'll save waaaaayyyyyy more money in saved fish as compared to the costs of a UV sterilizer. I personally will NEVER run a tank without one ever again.

Welcome to Wamas by the way. You'll find plenty of help here. Keep in mind that you only have access to the free part of the size, and can't see the trading and for sale sections. Trust me, it'll be the best $20 you'll spend in the hobby. You'll save that much on the first coral or fish you buy from someone. If you don't make your $20 back in the first couple months, I'll personally give you your money back.

Anyways, good luck in your efforts. Feel free to keep the questions coming.

Save your money instead of buying that UV sterilizer. Good water chemistry, healthy stock, and good quarantine practices are all you ever need. Chalk up the dead ones to experience.

Thanks for the help and the advice!

I actually paid my 20 bucks at the meeting today (my first) so hopefully my membership will get the "update" soon!

Thanks for the info on UV sterilizers. I was thinking about going that direction and definitely will!

Laura

How long do I wait before adding fish again? I've heard everything from 6 weeks to 3 months.

Laura,

30 days is sufficient time to make sure there are no remaining ich parasites in a tank without fish.

Jon

Save your money instead of buying that UV sterilizer. Good water chemistry, healthy stock, and good quarantine practices are all you ever need. Chalk up the dead ones to experience.

Cool. I am trying to go more natural. I removed the bio balls and tons of detritus from my sump today and have been running an early stage ATS for a few months now. My goal is skimmerless but I need to learn a lot more first. I am also planning my new 90 build so I appreciate your input.

If I decide against UV, how long do I wait before attempting fish again. I also set up a QT, which I didn't have before... thus the ick epidemic. All my fish were great for months then I added a chromis without quarantine. It was all downhill after that.

Definitely in the "learning' column.

Feeding with a Garlick extract seems to have worked for my ick problem I had. Some say it works while others doubt it but it worked for me. It seems to be a good precautionary method.

Feeding with a Garlick extract seems to have worked for my ick problem I had. Some say it works while others doubt it but it worked for me. It seems to be a good precautionary method.

i soak food in minced garlic the wet stuff you can find in the stores....then sometimes through the garlic in the tank with the fish...but not too often tho..the fish will usually taste it nd spt it out..but i think they may get something from it.

Cool. I am trying to go more natural. I removed the bio balls and tons of detritus from my sump today and have been running an early stage ATS for a few months now. My goal is skimmerless but I need to learn a lot more first. I am also planning my new 90 build so I appreciate your input.

If I decide against UV, how long do I wait before attempting fish again. I also set up a QT, which I didn't have before... thus the ick epidemic. All my fish were great for months then I added a chromis without quarantine. It was all downhill after that.

Definitely in the "learning' column.

Welcome !! Good thing you removed the Bio Balls there over rated. Instead if you have a sump with an open area I would place some sand in there and make it about an inch or two thick that way you can build a good bacteria layer to help cycle you tank and offer natural filtration. I also hope you have a protien skimmer running as well. And lastly try to use RO/DI water it makes a difference with keeping your nutrients low.

At least you only lost 4 fish. When I started setting my 55g up, I finally got it stocked with 2 clownfish, 3 firefish, 1 potter's angelfish, and 3 banggai cardinalfish. The potter's was the last fish coming home and it broke out with ick and killed everybody except one firefish. :cry: It stunk.

At least you only lost 4 fish. When I started setting my 55g up, I finally got it stocked with 2 clownfish, 3 firefish, 1 potter's angelfish, and 3 banggai cardinalfish. The potter's was the last fish coming home and it broke out with ick and killed everybody except one firefish. :cry: It stunk.

Exactly what could have been prevented with a UV sterilizer. I know it can be done without having a UV sterilizer, but why take that chance?? Yes, you can do things "naturally", but in the wild our fish have cleaner fish and cleaner inverts that provide constant maintanance over parasitic infections. We don't have that in our little watercubes, so in my opinion, something should be there to remedy that missing piece of nature. I lost over $450 in fish the last time I had an ich outbreak (a few years ago). I solved that problem with a $300 sterilizer and haven't lost a fish to ich since then. So how much has it really saved me in the long run??

Not to hijack a thread but- At the LFS's they would tell you that you needed coppersafe, or UV or ozone or any other types of "preventive maintenance items" to combat diseases and such.

It's like going to the doctor when you are coughing due to a cold and he only gives you something for the cough but not for the cold. Treating the symptom, not the problem.

It really boils down to good clean water and good quarantine practices to prevent the spread of diseases in your home aquaria. You don't have to spend $300 on a UV sterilizers. Instead, buy yourself a small QT system for less.

Edited by zygote2k

I see both points I would like to run a UV unit on my tank but I don't (the cost, my mortgage keeps getting in the way of the hobby). I also like the natural way of maintaining the tank. I placed a skunk cleaner in my tank and I feed the fish garlic mixed fish flakes, they all have been doing just fine no problems. I did have ich when I first started with a small group of blue/green chromis, I had to watch them everyday and when the signs pointed to a fish iched out I just scooped him up and flushed him down the toilet. But not before I tried several fresh water dips.

Edited by reefmontalvo

Exactly what could have been prevented with a UV sterilizer. I know it can be done without having a UV sterilizer, but why take that chance?? Yes, you can do things "naturally", but in the wild our fish have cleaner fish and cleaner inverts that provide constant maintanance over parasitic infections. We don't have that in our little watercubes, so in my opinion, something should be there to remedy that missing piece of nature. I lost over $450 in fish the last time I had an ich outbreak (a few years ago). I solved that problem with a $300 sterilizer and haven't lost a fish to ich since then. So how much has it really saved me in the long run??

I agree, why take the chance of not taking that extra step. Getting the UV is a smart choice. In the natural settings of are fish their is billions of gallons of water transfer, we as aquarist can't duplicate that. So the (Natural) aspect is hard to achieve in our little squares of water. With such small amounts of water, parameters can change quickly. We as aquarist should be responsible to have in or running in our tanks to help take care of what ever breaks out. A skimmer, refugium,UV, filter media, Good power heads for water movement are just some of the things we can provide to try to keep our aquariums happy and healthy. That = rewarding.....

You'll hear great and heated arguments for going natural and heavily mechanical. Both are valid and both work. Some people get better results with one method than the other and some people have interests (green or toys in this case) that they can explore within this hobby. It's all about finding the right balance for you and your system and having as good of a tank as possible in whatever way you find fulfilling.

As a more intermediate suggestion, a number of people elsewhere have recommended only running UV when you have the problem.

Welcome aboard!

You'll hear great and heated arguments for going natural and heavily mechanical. Both are valid and both work. Some people get better results with one method than the other and some people have interests (green or toys in this case) that they can explore within this hobby. It's all about finding the right balance for you and your system and having as good of a tank as possible in whatever way you find fulfilling.

As a more intermediate suggestion, a number of people elsewhere have recommended only running UV when you have the problem.

Welcome aboard!

good avice here. Many ways to skin a cat. Sometimes some people get very animated about what they feel is right. Lots of opinons, and your own research while taking things slow is the best advice I would give. Some swear by uv, som e don't. I'm fairly successful, and I qt fish like crazy, strive for good conditions, and run uv as well. UV was the last large peice of equipment I put on. Not a huge improvement in my case, but can't say it was more than precautionary.

I have no quarutine system just got a tang in a 24 gallon (no worries hes going thursday) hes 3 inchs and eats like a pig anyway when I put him straight into the tank.... I run a turbo twist uv sterilizer and in tanks before that I HAVE NEVER had ich... as far as I can tell.... For me natural is always better, but certain pests like culerpa valiria asptesia and so on have an advantage and will take over your tank. I am not saying the uv clears up all these problems, infact it doesn't help with any of them but the ich... I'm very happy with my 85 dollar purchase and I would highely recomend it for any nano... not sure how expensive it gets on larger tanks...

Wow, thanks for al the great info. Right now I am planning on setting up a QT. If I am careful I am hoping to prevent any more infections, but I am definitely open to UV if it doesn't work. I do love hearing about all the ways to get stuff done and appreciate all the info so I can make an educated decision and know what my options are.

Just a general thanks to this group for the warm welcome and willingness to help a newbie!!

Laura

Put your city location in your profile. Many reefers are more than happy to open up their homes to show and discuss the in's and outs of their systems. Ever as far out as purcellville, your more than welcome to see my tanks as well. W used to have newbie get-togethers, maybe in the new year we can do that again.

Hi Laura,

Welcome to WAMAS!

As for UV - I run a 40 watt Current system on my tank all day, every day. When I started in the salt hobby in 2000, the so called "trend" I was told was that most people were moving away from UV because it would destroy all the beneficial things important to keeping a reef tank. I can say that I went without one in my original 125 AND twice a year during spring and fall when I would see biggest tank temp swings (as either house heat or AC wasn't running as often) my tangs would show signs of ick. In early 2006, after doing some research on people running UV vs. those not, I felt based on my research I would run UV on my new 215 I was setting up. I believe it's one of the best things I've done for my system. My powder brown and regal/blue hippo so no signs of ick ever in new tank and those fish are prone to showing ick first. AND I don't see any loss of life or colors of corals & my pair of manderins don't seem to mind UV as they have been in the tank for 2 + years and find plenty live pods to eat.

Sure water quality is a key - and UV will help improve water quality. You don't have to spend $300 on a unit. If you can't find a quality one at a local store, you can always looks here for ones that start at $118 + ship.

Good luck in your research.

I just noticed today that one of my fish is infected with ich and other fish are starting to rub their sides on my rock work. I am moving all of them into an empty 30 gallon tank where they will be treated. What is the waiting period before I can put my fish back into the display tank? You still do water changed on the DT during this period right?

I just noticed today that one of my fish is infected with ich and other fish are starting to rub their sides on my rock work. I am moving all of them into an empty 30 gallon tank where they will be treated. What is the waiting period before I can put my fish back into the display tank? You still do water changed on the DT during this period right?

Four weeks for the DT, and yes, maintain good water chemistry on the DT. Inverts and corals won't get ich.

Done a fresh water bath for the fish yet? You can google that procedure online.

Also: are you taking the fish water (in the QT, not the DT) down in salinity? Salinity should be taken down to 0.010 and kept there until all signs of ich are gone. WATCH THE AMMONIA! Now that there are no live rocks in the QT, it builds up fast. You'll need to do major water changes every other day. Test EVERY day. Don't forget air, too, since no skimmer. Skimmers aerate water, so either put in an airstone or agitate the water surface with pumps.

It's a pain. BUT, THERE IS HOPE! If its caught early and with good care, many fish survive. We awoke to an ich infestation last Christmas morning and fought it for all of January, but didn't lose one fish to ich. However, we almost lost some to ammonia build-up.

HTH!