Sick to my stomach

davidk

While cleaning my tank last night, I dropped my Aqualogic Temperature Controller. I did not notice that the temperature probe had slid out of the tank when the unit fell. The probe read the temp of the room and the heating element stayed on all night. This morning I awoke to a 93 + degree tank. So far I've lost the following:

RBTA

Ember Blenny

Midas Blenny

various coral

The following appear to be revivable so far:

Regal Angel

Hippo Tang

Damsel

Invertebrates

Depending on what survives the next couple of days, I may have a 135 gallon Tenecor Flat Back Hex and all remaining contents for sale. This really took the wind out of me.

ouchhh very sorry to hear that, what do you keep your normal temps at?

I almost fried all my live stock including corals when my t-5 bulb fell in the tank and broke. Luckily I was there when this happened and quickly disconnect the light plug and pull the broken bulb out.

I can understand your frustration and loss.

Hope the other will survive.

Very sorry to hear of the loss. Mistakes happen, do not be too hard on yourself. Do the best you can for the livestock still left and that will bring some satisfaction. Don't decide what to do next until you take a couple weeks to let the event sink in. Rash decisions in these circumstances almost always lead to regrets. I would hang in there until at least mid-December and then decide.

Wow.. I am so sorry about what happened to you, I hope your remaining animals come back okay and you stick with it. You obviously love the hobby, it would be a shame to see this cause you to leave it.

Best of luck and I hope everything turns out okay.

I had the same thing happen to me due to the lack of a temp controller a heater fried everything in my tank. I'd stick with it considering how nice your tank is.

I think we all can relate to what a frustrating hobby this can be, but the great thing about this hobby do make it worthwhile. Bounce back and rediscover the fun. Good luck with the recovery

While cleaning my tank last night, I dropped my Aqualogic Temperature Controller. I did not notice that the temperature probe had slid out of the tank when the unit fell. The probe read the temp of the room and the heating element stayed on all night. This morning I awoke to a 93 + degree tank. So far I've lost the following:

RBTA

Ember Blenny

Midas Blenny

various coral

The following appear to be revivable so far:

Regal Angel

Hippo Tang

Damsel

Invertebrates

Depending on what survives the next couple of days, I may have a 135 gallon Tenecor Flat Back Hex and all remaining contents for sale. This really took the wind out of me.

There is no fail-safe on this? What kind of heating element does this thing control? I have three 'regular' heaters in my 240. I just tested and calibrated all of them to get ready for winter. I figure even if two of them stick in the 'on' position, it will take a couple of days before the temp gets too high. I also plan to have my AC-III control a couple of them for high and low protection; but my first attempt didn't work - the outlet never turns on, no matter what the temperature is. I'll figure it out.

Best of luck on your remaining fish and corals coming back to life!

bob

Yea that sucks.. no question. Sorry to hear about your loss. As others have said, I would wait a few weeks before making any drastic decisions. Don't beat yourself up, we all make mistakes.

Thanks all for your kind words. When I got home from work today, the temp in my tank had lowered to 81. I was a bit concerned that the quick shift (approx 5 hours) back to a more normal temperature might cause additional stress. So far only my Blennies, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, RBTA, and misc. coral have perished. Not sure what will happen in the next couple days, but have decided to keep my lights off and will do daily water changes (approx. 20 - 25% total). Does anyone have a RBTA that they are looking to sell? My homeless Percs are looking very agitated.

Thanks again!

I'm sorry about what happened Don't let it push you away from the hobby.

Hey David,

I have a couple of anemoies. If I can cut one in half I would be happy to give you one. I am not sure if I can cut them while they are on the rock or if I have to remove them with a pwr head first.

David

Sorry to hear about your losses. I had the same thing happen years ago but on a much smaller scale. My heater got stuck in the on position in my 7g minibow and boiled quite a few of my corals. Surprisingly, the fish and crabs and snails were fine.

Hang in there!

Oh if this happens again I lowered my tempurature with ice in a sealed bag every 20 mins I would put it in and take it out put it in and take it out.... it lowered my nano in about 2 hours and I saved alot of my fish one of which had brain damage because of the heat.... I'm tooling with the idea of freezing di/ro water incase of emergancies...

Oh if this happens again I lowered my tempurature with ice in a sealed bag every 20 mins I would put it in and take it out put it in and take it out.... it lowered my nano in about 2 hours and I saved alot of my fish one of which had brain damage because of the heat.... I'm tooling with the idea of freezing di/ro water incase of emergancies...

This is a very "cool" idea...........seriously.

Yogurt containers. I was having a problem with heat in the summer, so I filled a yogurt container 2/3 full of RO water, put the lid back on, and kept it in the back of the freezer.

I never ended up using it, thank goodness. I took it out last weekend, and it smelled like stale chicken :biggrin:

Davidk,

I have had the same thing happen before with my dual Ranco but my tank only got to 85F before I noticed.

I too have frags for you when your ready.

Everyone,

If you use an electronic temp controller like the Aqualogic, which is a Ranco, the actual heater should not set above 83F.

Great minds think alike just remeber the goal is to lower it gradually not fast:) I remove the ice if the tempurute drops too fast ... oh as a side note the brain dead fish lived and ate for about 9 months, but it was very odd:)