Disaster UNaverted :(

magnetic1

Unlike William, my disaster was not averted.

Woke up to wife yelling at me this morning. Apparently last night I turned my RODI on to fill a bucket of water. Well, guess what? I fell asleep :(

Basement carpet is all wet now, basement celing is toast and Im waiting for a call back from ServPro.

I soaked up water on the first floor and soaked as much of the carpet as possible...

BONEHEAD mistake! I wonder if the repair cost is going to exceed my $1k deductible...

OHHHHHH NO!!!! I hope it wont cost too much! My husband has left his one a time or two.

At least it's clean water and not flood water.

You guys should definitely look into getting a float valve so you won't have to manually "watch" your rodi system as it fills. It's worth the -+$15 investment.

That stinks! Sorry to here about that.. I bet a float valve is looking like a nice investment right about now :(

I know its a little late for this but I usually make water into a 5gal bucket in the bathtub so that if it overflows, it goes down the drain.

An aqua timer you can purchase at Home Depot or Lowes would have saved you this issue. From a guy who has delt with leaking issues sorry to hear it.

How would a timer kill it?

Doesnt it keep running even if there is no power? (via water pressure, albeit slower?) At least I think mine works like that. The power only goes to the booster pump?

I think float valve might be a wise purchase. I also just bought one of those water alarms where if it detects the slightest bit of water, a 98dB alarm goes off. :eek:

I have to chime in here too. My husband gave me a RO/DI system for Christmas and he installed it in the garage because he knew something I would forget sometime. I have forgotten twice to turn it off and he just opens the garage door and lets it all run out. I now set a kitchen timer to help me remember. Of course, my kids have turned the timer off without mentioning to anyone that it was beeping. Good luck with the clean up.

Karen

Go out to BRK. They have the float valves and they have the solenoids that you can put on a timer. It's a great investment, and not that expensive (under $50 for both).

I put my 7 gallon in a plastic tub when I fill it, and have had it overflow into the tub several times already. Did forget to stick the wastewater tube down the drain one day. It slid off the counter and pointed down behind the dishwasher. After an hour or so of running my basement ceiling and floor were soaked. :(

we have left it on in the garage multiple times.. thankfully theres a drain in the middle of the floor there.

i think i will be getting a float valve in my new place or else the laundry room will flood at least once im sure

OHHHHHH NO!!!! I hope it wont cost too much! My husband has left his one a time or two.

yes i have, :blush: but we have a concrete floor and a drain...THANKFULLY!

I feel for you. I've flooded the basement 5 times filling my reserve bucket. I've all but ruined the new floor I installed last summer. What makes me feel the most sick is it's not the tank or such breaking, just my own darn fault.

Hopefully it'll clean up without too much work.

I've forgotten it a few times myself. In my case, it just overflows into a floor drain with no harm.

If I had a carpet/floor I was proud of, I would install a bulkhead for overflow in my R/O reservoir that drains into a nearby sink.

tim

I suggest you look into getting a float valve. Here's the one I have (and it is sold by a club sponsor):

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/FV-14MA...loat_Valve.html

I just drilled a hole in the side of the trashcan and then screwed in the float valve. Problem solved in less than 10 minutes.

I use one of these to split my washer's water feed:

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/HOSEY/H...nd_Y_Combo.html

Edited by SteveD

get the carpet and padding off the floor to dry out and get as many fans going as possible! Sorry to hear. I have the biggest bonehead move though:

ran carbon in external canister filter.

tube connection popped off and dumped 90 gallons onto second floor townhouse

2 floors of carpeting ruined

1st floor ceiling ruined

2 walls ruined

also went into ductwork and destroyed my furnace/ac unit

$15k worth of damage. Be happy it was freshwater and not salt. :)

Float valve on a trash can is how I have my makeup system in the garage. No overflows.

However, I have filled 5 gal containers and have forgotton to turn off and it flooded with a trail going out the garage door. No losses.

I was thinking of getting a drain pan for a hot water heater and connecting a tube on the drain to lead out the garage. This would work for those not able to fill their containers near a utility tube or a bathroom shower/tub. Just have a long enough hose to go to a drain at a lower level.

I'm challenged by this.

I use the timer on the oven.

I also have a couple of water detectors right next to where the RO/DI water is stored (and overflows.) I "use" it about every other month or so.

I've been able to catch overflows within minutes.

I have done that twice since I got the RODI unit. I'm assuming my mini carpet cleaner is letting me get up enough for the water to drip into the neighbor's apartment because no one has complained. I'm not worried about the carpet - they are a few years past due for replacement and worn down to the floor anyway.

Interestingly it appears that while freshwater floods cause a mildew smell, saltwater from the tank does not. Maybe the way to keep mildew out of my poorly designed bathroom would be to rub salt on the ceiling and walls because bleach and cleaners don't work against it.

I guess I will add my name to the bonehead list. I have done this about a half dozen times... Marble Floors are Great.... just soaked it up with towels...

Now I have a hole with a tube running into the bathtub so if I leave hte RODI on by accident the water goes into a drain. I felt so smart when I did this... and so dumb before when I left the water on...

that sucks, I wish you luck. Maybe it's time for a float valve group buy.

Wreck

Guest webshout

Eric: Sorry to hear about the flood. I've forgotten to turn off the RO water as well. Mine is in an unfinished basement, but I've still kicked when I jolt awake at 3 AM and remember the water is running. Sheesh!! I think a float valve will bring me some peace of mind.

Good luck.

W.

[

quote name=jason the filter freak' date='Mar 28 2008, 03:44 PM' post='184797]

An aqua timer you can purchase at Home Depot or Lowes would have saved you this issue. From a guy who has delt with leaking issues sorry to hear it.

i concur, its the timer they use to for watering the grass, no electric componets, only drawcak is the max time is 120 minutes.