Disaster UNaverted :(

magnetic1

get the carpet and padding off the floor to dry out and get as many fans going as possible! Sorry to hear. I have the biggest bonehead move though:

No. That might be costliest - biggest bonehead is all mine. After reading this I went home, filled up the change bucket & dumped about a gallon on the floor by overfilling................good thing for me it's in a utility room.

I don't care what anyone says, that's bonehead right there :biggrin:

Edited by ErikS

Try this for the All Time Bonehead Award: Years ago, I had a 75 gallon freshwater tank where I had slowly destroyed the caulk in the corners with a razor blade cleaning the glass. No problem, I figured I would remove all the caulk and replace it, which is what I did. I even tested it and everything was fine. Two weeks later, I get a frantic call from the wife that the aqaurium is going down. I run home and all 75 gallons blew out of the tank and ended up in the basement one floor below. I was fortunate in that the kitchen floor was linoleum and the basement was unfinished. :biggrin:

Edited by Highland Reefer

I've had a disaster as well. I had a float switch on one end and ran the waste end into the sink. It is secure except when the wife removed it at night to brush her teeth and didn't put it back. It ran almost all night. The waste end puts out a lot more water, so our ceiling, brand new wood floors, and the ladies ceiling below us soaked up much of the water. Now we are a messed up mentally, always worried about another water disaster. The first thing I do when I get home is look up at the ceiling....paranoid, not about the ro/di, but about the tank blowing.

I'm challenged by this.

I use the timer on the oven.

I also have a couple of water detectors right next to where the RO/DI water is stored (and overflows.) I "use" it about every other month or so.

I've been able to catch overflows within minutes.

This is what I use --- http://basementwatchdog.com/water_alarm.htm

$10 at home depot

Basement Watchdog Battery Operated Water Alarm

Model BWD-HWA, $9.97/EA Each

Edited by stevearlen

• 1 month later...

I built a leak detector using a couple parallel pieces of thin diameter (~1/16") steel rods attached to the "press to test" switch of an inexpensive HD smoke detector. When the wires get wet the water completes the circuit, activating the smoke detector's wail. You can make the sensor as small or as large as you want this way.

Jon

I built a leak detector using a couple parallel pieces of thin diameter (~1/16") steel rods attached to the "press to test" switch of an inexpensive HD smoke detector. When the wires get wet the water completes the circuit, activating the smoke detector's wail. You can make the sensor as small or as large as you want this way.

Jon

Wow that is awesome!