Digital Zoom Factor: 100/100

Noise Reduction: OFF

Tag::Nikon Type 3::0x009B: 0, 0

Tag::Nikon Type 3::0x00AC: VR-ON

Tag::Nikon Type 3::0x00AD: STANDARD

Tag::Nikon Type 3::0x00B2: NORMAL

Image Width: 3072 pixels

Image Height: 2304 pixels

Then post processed the exposure to black out the cabinetry.

What was your aperture? I don't really understand the figure listed.

What was your aperture? I don't really understand the figure listed.

The aperture is 34/10 which is 3.4.

It's different from the SLRs we are used to, and even the same f-stop doesn't mean the same thing because the sensor is a lot closer to the lens opening in a compact camera than a 35mm equivalent. So in this case 3.4 would be a lot narrower than we are used to thinking.

That said, Dan, you still should be shooting at a higher (narrower) aperture to increase depth of field. That will/may require you to get a tripod or something sturdy if the shutter speed gets too slow. Also, you should be shooting in the highest quality possible, not "normal," (I know, at least, in Canon compacts there is low, normal, and high quality to determine amount of detail captured) and at the highest resolution too, if not already.

Also, there are lots of blown highlights in the picture. That is probably from post processing the picture to blacken out the cabinetry... but you end up losing a lot of detail in the rocks and sand. Next time you can try underexposing the picture a bit, and then adjust the exposure manually on the computer. This way you can preserve more details.

Edited by danskim

Like Dan said, to improve the detail and focus in the shot you'll almost definitely need a tripod. i'm not sure what all the settings on your camera are, but full auto mode usually won't get all the detail you're looking for.

try apeture priority mode if it has one. if you can go to full manual, set the aperture higher than what it was on for that picture. looking at the coolpix p5000, it goes up to 5.3 so you should have some room to increase this. set the iso as low as you can get it for the best quality picture. lower setting is less sensitive but fewer artifacts (requires longer exposure/slower shutter speed).

the shutter speed will ratchet down quite a bit in order to adequately expose the picture.

turn off any of the special autofocus modes if your camera has them (face recognition, etc)

remember that your depth of field is generally 1/3 in front of your focal point and 2/3 behind. set your focal point accordingly.

• 3 months later...

Changing some gear around including the lights. What do you think of the Radiums?

2665151672_757246f233.jpg

2664326213_3eafbeb6ff.jpg

2664324507_d56d19b60d_m.jpg

2664323941_89062c6e5d.jpg

2665148202_334aae8040.jpg

2664321317_a4c619ffe1.jpg

2665144986_0c21157908.jpg

My AC3 reset itself right before going out of town and I had to reprogram it on the fly, forgot my commands for the denitrator and it crashed the reactor. I pulled it off line for now and set up a fuge in the sump with a 175w 5500k halide, growing some mad macro now :)

I did a 100 gallon water change with no salt :eek1: Took 1 month for the system to reestablish itself to the proper levels.

The bad storms took my power out for a little too long, lost a few fish so I am restocking a bit.

Other than that, I am just busy being a dad which is without a doubt the best thing that ever happened to me:

2546867779_fc4bebdfc2.jpg

Too cute. I have a feeling she's a future oceanographer in trainer.

Tank is looking great. Can't wait to see it again. Stop posting pics though. You're helping me procrastinate from my thesis due at midnight tonight!!!

What ballasts are you using??

• 1 year later...

By the way, Dan - I have what looks like a 'teal slimer' from your old tank, that has grown out enough for frags, if you're interested in a piece of that. Would be even larger, but I spent a year trying to get it to SIT! STAY! - - no matter where I put it, it seemed to get knocked loose. Now it is nicely sharing a rock with my blue slimer.

bob

Bob, I lost a lot of my old corals when I switched tanks. I do remember a teal stag that I really liked, would love to get a piece of that back. There was another coral that I really was attached to that was lost. It was the ORO Scripps staghorn. It is not a widely sold ORA coral, I got mine from 143gadgets who got it from mogurnda, who got it from ORA at MACNA when the club hosted it. I fragged it pretty heavily within the club and would think a few people still have it......

Bob, I lost a lot of my old corals when I switched tanks. I do remember a teal stag that I really liked, would love to get a piece of that back. There was another coral that I really was attached to that was lost. It was the ORO Scripps staghorn. It is not a widely sold ORA coral, I got mine from 143gadgets who got it from mogurnda, who got it from ORA at MACNA when the club hosted it. I fragged it pretty heavily within the club and would think a few people still have it......

I have been selling frags of the Scripps Green-tipped ORA coral. In fact - it has a beautiful growth pattern. You're welcome to a nice big frag; I'm sure that's likely where I got it in the first place.

bob

• 4 months later...
dan is that boxfish poision? I wanted to get a blue spot but i was nervous when i read they release poison if they die or are stressed...u know anything about them?

Yes. Don't. Yes.

haha, so they are bad news then, but they are sooo cool, haha. I must resist...

lol. Ya, you pretty much have to be nuts to keep one in your reef....same goes with keeping a 18" carpet anemone in the same tank as centropyge joculators. I have done extensive research for my specific stock list so I am comfortable with the risk, but I just don't want to give people the idea that it is safe or even sane.

I will say though, my longhorn "Tex" is 10" long and I have had him 4 years now. That should give scale to my montipora rock ;)

• 6 months later...

Well close enough to one peice, the other peice is on your shirt! :biggrin: