HOB refugiums

trble81

All,

As I continue my research on equipment for our larger tank, I come to you for some advise. We plan on having a HOB fuge for the tank and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any good ones. I know CPR makes them and they're at MarineDepot for like ~$150 (for the 4.7 gallon ones...which is the size we would get).

Is this one of those things where a DIY would be better or are there good, commerically available ones to look at?

Thanks in advance!

:cheers:

The only problem with HOB type is you can not get them too big... Reason is they put too much stress on the tank...

The CPR ones are well made... but I really have no true suggestions.

Dave

Yeah, I read in the product reviews about someone's HOB fuge that they had on their sump that ended up pulling the thing apart at the seams.

We're thinking that a 5 gallon would be the largest we would go. I would be used for macro alge and growing copepods for a mandarin or whatever.

I saw an HOB Fuge on Jon Fishers' (kngfisher) tank and liked it so much I made one for my tank.

For water supply, I bleed off the return to the tank and it flows back into the tank not the sump.

I liked that the most about these HOBF's but didn't like it being supported by the tank, sump by it's own fittings.

DSC_2175.jpg

photo by dhoch

As you can see, I made a metal frame that holds the fuges's weight and is attached to my stand. It holds about 9g and is a slow flow fug with no sand.

This allowed me to have what I believed to be the best of both worlds. I run UV 24/7 and have tons of pods, worms and mini serpent stars.

Kngfisher had a plexi company cut him the panels to the size he wanted and we glued it together one evening. He made his deeper, larger, and with thicker material. Turned out really nice but I wouldn't have spent the extra on 3/8" material, 1/4" is fine and what I used. He had had his other HOBF fall off the tank and wasn't taking chances. We will also build him a stand to set it on behind the tank.

He has about $150.00 plus fittings into it. For most people, that space is wasted space so it's such a good idea to fit one in place there.

I have complete access to the back of my tank but still wanted it to fit out of the way above my equipment and be a little wider and longer.

He got his first one off an "ebay" store and was really happy with it until it fell. I was not able to glue it back together so he went custom.

The only thing I might have done differently was to have a black background that sits against the tank since the fuge lighting is reverse from the tank.

But I also like being able to see thru it into the tank too. Black would have added to the cost.

Chip:

The idea of rigging the fuge so that the tank stand supports the weight (and not the tank edge only) is a good idea, regardless of the size. I'll have to make sure I go to a hardware store and pick up the appropriate supplies to do that, prior to setting it up and getting it filled with sand and water.

Another question:

Where's a good place to get fuge lights? I know even the CPR ones don't come with lights.

Chip:

Where's a good place to get fuge lights? I know even the CPR ones don't come with lights.

5100 k compact florescent flood spot from home depot

I cut out and made my fuge to fit a twin tube 38" light fixture.

Works great and I'm now at the point I need to get new 36" tubes for it.

If you don't have access to attach your support to the stand itself, make it to hit the floor and up to the fuge.

You can come have a look if you want some ideas.

yes i do but you dont want to go there and pay the ridiculously high price tht in my newbie ignorance before wamas that i paid. however for curiousity sake ill just say congressional and you can draw your own conclusions. good luck

Yeah, I read in the product reviews about someone's HOB fuge that they had on their sump that ended up pulling the thing apart at the seams.

We're thinking that a 5 gallon would be the largest we would go. I would be used for macro alge and growing copepods for a mandarin or whatever.

I resemble that remark... I had an 18" CPR HOB fuge on a 20L and it split the seam. I now have the new larger (24" I think) on my main tank (AGA 120) and it works great. If you look on Ebay there is a guy who sells factory seconds from CPR. I got the large one w/light for about $150.

Here is the guy I bought mine from:

http://stores.ebay.com/amekaaquatic

Nice. Thanks for the tip.

One more question about this topic. Is there an advantage of a HOB fuge over a fuge that's part of your sump? Water is going to flow through both, regardless, but how does it affect how pods get into your display tank for your fish to munch on?

the advantage with the HOB or any gravity drain refugium is the pods etc dont pass through any pumps. so they are more likely to survive the trip to your tank.

To avoid splitting seams,

I built a small stand for my big CRP fuge (24"?) back when I had one. I painted it black,

and put it behind the tank. The fuge sat on it, but appeared to be hanging on (in

fact, it was about 1/4" above the tank rim).

I sold the fuge a while ago, but still have the stand. If someone wants it, they can have it.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

• 3 weeks later...

I have also been thinking about building my own fuge, because I want it to conform to a certain shape. I also plan for it to sit on a stand, rather than actually hanging on the back of the tank (I already have a HoB Skilter filter --- so I do not need anything else hanging on the back). The only problem that I anticipate is the intake and water-return design. I've been thinking about making it similar to a giant HoB filter: one in-take tube for intake and the water would then overflow back into the tank like a HoB filter.

Perhaps even better, I would buy the CPR setup, if it had a protein skimmer, filter, and fuge in one unit, and I would just eliminate the Skilter filter/skimmer combo that I currently have.

I have also been thinking about building my own fuge, because I want it to conform to a certain shape. I also plan for it to sit on a stand, rather than actually hanging on the back of the tank (I already have a HoB Skilter filter --- so I do not need anything else hanging on the back). The only problem that I anticipate is the intake and water-return design. I've been thinking about making it similar to a giant HoB filter: one in-take tube for intake and the water would then overflow back into the tank like a HoB filter.

Perhaps even better, I would buy the CPR setup, if it had a protein skimmer, filter, and fuge in one unit, and I would just eliminate the Skilter filter/skimmer combo that I currently have.

I believe that there's a CPR model that has a protein skimmer incorportated into the HOB fuge...

I've made one out of the AquaClear 70, its pretty simple,my only regret is that i wish i went the 110 route.

Here a few pics

its filled with a little bit of live sand, Some LR rubble and Chaeto, teeming with pods, and bristleworms

but because My tank is new, Up since Feb, i'm still having a few algae outbreaks, a few diatoms, and Hair Algae, verry little but I freak out anywayz, Any Idea when it will go away?

Finished Product

DSCF1166.jpg

Fuge5.jpg

what was once a 3 inch ball of Chaeto, has now completely overfilled the fuge

The fuge is lit by a simple desk lamp.

I had first slowed the flow, by breaking the impeller, from 6, to 3, a slower flow means more contact time with the water and Macro Algae.

I had then, taken the media basket provided, and used it to create a Baffle, to Guard it from the impeller, and siliconed it in place,

Fuge.jpg

The Plastic Screen Guard/Grid Was then used to cover the waterfall?/overflow into the main tank, to keep the chaeto inside.

Fuge2.jpg

Fuge3.jpg

Fuge4.jpg

I had also cut the U-Tube so that i had a better fit in my tank

Allow 24 hrs to dry, and ur ready to use

I had also cut the U-Tube so that i had a better fit in my tank

can you show how you cut the U-tube?

sorry i don't have pics of that..lol

but what i did was

Removed the Plastic intake tube, and cut about 2" from the solid Acrylic Tube(SIDE THAT IS IN THE TANK) NOT THE SIDE IN THE FILTER, WITH THE AIR INLET TUBE!!! , using a sharp toothed Knife

I then Reattached the Plastic Intake to the newly cut Acrylic Tube, which made the intake shorter, providing more power in the form of better suction, and fitting better within my tank

IM LOOKIN FOR FRAGS!

I built one myself that is an above tank refugium.

KammiesTank010.jpg

Before I put it on the tank.

KammiesTank011.jpg

When I first put it on the tank.

It is still in use but I have gotten really lazy with it since the tank is being torn down soon. I took the surge tube off a few months ago when we had the fire. Basically, I built an acrylic box that fit into the trim of my tank (I wouldn't do it with an all glass aquarium as they have much thinner trim than the Oceanic I have) and then plumbed it into my return. I had to add another pump for the surge to get it to work correctly as the flow decreases in my Mag 9, but it works really well and houses macro and tons of pods.

This was made using the 1/4" equivalent acrylic sheeting as well as some 1/8" sheets for baffles. I added 3 bulkheads to it and some PVC pieces. In total, the thing probably cost me around $50 total. It did spring a leak because of how I put it together, but it was easily fixed (if I were to make it again I'd find a way to cut the pieces so that there were no rough edges and put some bracing on the top as the surge bent it back and forth and my poor seam job was loosened until it leaked).

What a brilliant idea! I am going to try this myself. Brenden, we have a silimar size tank, so I think this is really creative for our needs.

I really like this group. It's full of such creativity and innovation.

I've made one out of the AquaClear 70, its pretty simple,my only regret is that i wish i went the 110 route.