jhOU 120 gallon SPS reef

jhOU

Amazing tank! Hopefully all the other colonies are good now, sucks seeing such a huge colony die. 

BTW, what is that giant purple/blue staghorn on the left and are you planning on fragging any time soon

Corals are good, now just fish issues lol. Shortcake was the only casualty, everything else was fine. The blue stag is just a “blue stag” ha… I do have some frags, shoot me a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry about the fish issues. If you need, I should be able to frag off some shortcake for you in a couple months, assuming things continue to slowly grow

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

when you procrastinate trimming, sometimes the corals won’t wait! Mr Pac-man colony is massive and grew from a single branch that supported the entire colony. It was comically top-heavy, and finally gave way this morning. image.thumb.jpeg.2d3387460af579891253073896464fbb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b55699f81538e2e7f6cba377d23ff785.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by jhOU

LoL, it’s so funny you have to laugh! Did you put it back with more support?

35 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

LoL, it’s so funny you have to laugh! Did you put it back with more support?

I hacked it up a bit and placed it back in the same spot… not much more support, still precarious placement balancing on what remains of the monti. Any little space I had left is now filled with pieces of pac man lolimage.thumb.jpeg.faf22fa20ee3263e5390aa1dc1896855.jpeg

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Not a whole lot to update lately, tank has just been rocking steady. Just keeping up with refilling dosing containers and weekly water changes. Getting the urge to start fiddling…

debating experimenting with carbon dosing. I’ve had more success running nutrients on the higher side, but they continue trending upwards (currently ~.25Po4 20-30No3). Corals looks great and no algae, just want to pause nutrients creeping up much more image.thumb.jpeg.9f1e719bb1c10440e353052ee6f516be.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.01f8d45c70d4911731272c0861bf3af7.jpeg

Edited by jhOU

hard to say you shouldn't fiddle with things but ultimately, the color and growth speak for themselves.  I wouldn't mess too much with a good thing. 

Looks great! How are you running your nutrients high? Are you dosing NO3 or PO4 or do you just let your tank maturate naturally and this is where it ends up?

19 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Looks great! How are you running your nutrients high? Are you dosing NO3 or PO4 or do you just let your tank maturate naturally and this is where it ends up?

It’s just the natural level it’s reached over time. Current filtration is clarisea roller, skimmer, and 25 gallon weekly water changes

29 minutes ago, jhOU said:

It’s just the natural level it’s reached over time. Current filtration is clarisea roller, skimmer, and 25 gallon weekly water changes

Ok thanks.

Also, my apologies for any English majors. I'm not sure what "maturate" means but "mature" is a bitter word there. I couldn't edit it in time. :biggrin:

BTW, what is the pink acro with green tips? 

37 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

BTW, what is the pink acro with green tips? 

RR Firecracker, my current favorite!

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely tops. It feels precarious, just so much stuff over an open sump area. I know it’s not, but it’s a great contrast!

Sad to see the shortcake not make it, that was one of the prettiest colonies of it that I had ever seen.  How do you get your firecracker so bright?  Yours looks better than mine….

Darren

36 minutes ago, lowsingle said:

Sad to see the shortcake not make it, that was one of the prettiest colonies of it that I had ever seen.  How do you get your firecracker so bright?  Yours looks better than mine….

Darren

Thanks, i definitely miss the shortcake. I have my firecracker up high in the tank where it gets high light, high flow, and high nutrients… i don’t think i have any secrets beyond that lol?‍♂️