jhOU 120 gallon SPS reef

jhOU

Wow, what a heart ache! Glad everything else is doing well though.

I will say, your use of the Trident is getting added to the stories about why I want to get an Apex (and then a Trident) for my reef. I went through a similar story with lowered alk consumption based on lowering my lights, and luckily caught it because I test my alkalinity daily. Doing this manually saves me money, but not troubles from traveling, or not being around my tank. 

How drastic is the difference? 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

How drastic is the difference? 

Dosing about 50ml less per day. Was dosing 280ml pre-issues, now dosing 230ml a day and alk is still rising a bit. 

image.thumb.png.3a4dcc8be8d52abbfb2660cb1980acb4.png

that sucks man.  I feel like I'll eventually get a trident too but the KISS person in me wants to avoid more gadgets.

I've got a frag of your SSC when you're ready.  just let me know. 

2 hours ago, roni said:

that sucks man.  I feel like I'll eventually get a trident too but the KISS person in me wants to avoid more gadgets.

I've got a frag of your SSC when you're ready.  just let me know. 

I definitely agree with the KISS system, my dosing and filtration is pretty basic… but I like to monitor the heck out of what’s happening. The trident isn’t for everybody. There certainly is a bit of nuance with running the trident, it’s not a set it and forget piece of equipment. It’s a tool. You have to be in tune with the tank and the trident. It has become a trust but verify relationship. But I must give it’s deserved credit in the tank I have been able to accomplish.

15 hours ago, jhOU said:

I definitely agree with the KISS system, my dosing and filtration is pretty basic… but I like to monitor the heck out of what’s happening. The trident isn’t for everybody. There certainly is a bit of nuance with running the trident, it’s not a set it and forget piece of equipment. It’s a tool. You have to be in tune with the tank and the trident. It has become a trust but verify relationship. But I must give it’s deserved credit in the tank I have been able to accomplish.

fair enough.  what irks me the most is that it checks ca/mg so often.  I'd be good with alk once a day, ca/mg weekly.  I'll probably end up splurging once my credit cards recover from stocking the tanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Got ICP results back, and everything looks pretty good. Iodine and molybdenum are slightly elevated, so I might need to cut back and the TM trace A dosing a bit. image.thumb.jpeg.49dd6da1b1d51c60edbac9f02b0a3793.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a3362da5a2a905b935e852cb43abbf23.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d5c26950608f7267984eed2808ba25c4.jpeg

31 minutes ago, menglish said:

Take all those dead corals and put them in you CaRx.

I don’t run CaRx… and the stink was too bad to keep lol

You could start a whole new tank with what you chiseled out, lol. 

It looks great, it also makes me seriously wonder why my SPS grows so slowly, I wonder if there really is something to smaller size/water volume. 

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

it also makes me seriously wonder why my SPS grows so slowly, I wonder if there really is something to smaller size/water volume.

larger water volume certainly gives a little bit more room for error… all about stability

• 2 weeks later...

Looking around the tank and noticed a new little acan frag separated from the colony. Not sure if I accidentally broke off a piece when I was hacking up the tank, or can they naturally drop polyps? image.thumb.jpeg.c87f229429a656e2e7908ea812e52b51.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.27adbfb3d8cf2956e8a9e3f5c8b1f3c5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ac6b16ab859461870adc0deeeab57576.jpeg

Did a quick google search, looks like the polyps will bail out, which can either be a sign of stress, or the coral trying to propagate. In this instance, it might be a combination? 

Either way, it looks healthy and like it will continue to grow for you!  

Continuing the trim down effort, side panel view this time. Frogspawn was running out of room, and it’s neighbors did not appreciate it.

before:

image.thumb.jpeg.55cbad164504e4e8a29bff4384831a40.jpeg

After:

image.thumb.jpeg.e0d78b0b1e01f11de6e0b4205d69c28d.jpeg

Wow! Looks real cleaned up. Do you think as you continue to trim it'll continue to grow back even faster than before?!

15 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Wow! Looks real cleaned up. Do you think as you continue to trim it'll continue to grow back even faster than before?!

I hope not lol… it’s a good problem to have, but it’s getting to be a lot of work managing 

16 hours ago, jhOU said:

I hope not lol… it’s a good problem to have, but it’s getting to be a lot of work managing 

It's a nice problem to have but I can imagine.  Looking good!

• 4 weeks later...

Experiencing some bad behavior from fish that have been model citizens for years. My melanurus wrasse has suddenly decided he hates my pink margin fairy wrasse, and goes after him anytime he comes out of hiding. And my foxface started “taste testing” my clam. After relocating the clam to a harder to get to spot, he seems to be leaving it alone, but i’m keeping a close eye on it. Also, not bad behavior but different… after 3 years living in the same cave out of site, my fire shrimp has relocated and will even give my hand a cleaning. I think the coral trim may have disrupted everybody’s established territory.

image.thumb.jpeg.4bd1ccee30e942f4700de78616ab38b3.jpeg

12 hours ago, jhOU said:

Experiencing some bad behavior from fish that have been model citizens for years. My melanurus wrasse has suddenly decided he hates my pink margin fairy wrasse, and goes after him anytime he comes out of hiding. And my foxface started “taste testing” my clam. After relocating the clam to a harder to get to spot, he seems to be leaving it alone, but i’m keeping a close eye on it. Also, not bad behavior but different… after 3 years living in the same cave out of site, my fire shrimp has relocated and will even give my hand a cleaning. I think the coral trim may have disrupted everybody’s established territory.

image.thumb.jpeg.4bd1ccee30e942f4700de78616ab38b3.jpeg

Sounds like it, though the clam nipping is a bit odd.  Maybe the foxface thinks it's a treat that you put in for it or there is some algae on the mantle that is appealing? 

Not looking good for the pink margin wrasse:( Last night I found him at the bottom in a corner not able to swim properly. I was able to get him in an acclimation box, but he’s not showing any signs of improvement. I suspect he may have a spinal injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, jhOU said:

Not looking good for the pink margin wrasse:( Last night I found him at the bottom in a corner not able to swim properly. I was able to get him in an acclimation box, but he’s not showing any signs of improvement. I suspect he may have a spinal injury.

Sorry to hear it, especially when you have to do things like get the tank trimmed up in order to keep it moving in the right direction. 

Amazing tank! Hopefully all the other colonies are good now, sucks seeing such a huge colony die. 

BTW, what is that giant purple/blue staghorn on the left and are you planning on fragging any time soon :)