jhOU 120 gallon SPS reef

jhOU

1 hour ago, jhOU said:

yep that’s the colony it came from. how’s your frag looking?

Looking good! Color as expected and fuzzy. Thanks!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, jhOU said:

I got the new version of the Orphek orange filter, which are larger and fit over the lenses well. The photos are with the orange filter but no other post correction. I still need to play with the phone more to see how raw mode works.

Nice, it beats out needing a DSLR with a lens that's just as expensive trying to get a halfway decent photo! 

• 1 month later...

Recently had my second AFS auto feeder die and refused to buy another, so decided to get the Avast Plank feeder this time. Aside from being massive, it seems like a much better solution to feed a precise amount, and it is silent! (unlike the AFS)

Now to the problem… the plank is just on/off, and to get a timer down to seconds with apex you must use the OSC command. But my comprehension of OSC command sucks. I intended to have it feed 1 time at noon for 10 seconds. Since it is silent, I did not notice for several days that it was feeding at additional times. So perhaps the neptune AFS obnoxious noise is actually a beneficial feature lol. My nutrients under normal circumstances are on the high side at about .2 Po4 20 nitrate… now i’m up to .35 Po4 30 nitrate.

Here’s the command I used, anybody know the proper command to turn on for 10 seconds at noon? Do I need a “Set Off” statement?

Fallback OFF

OSC 000:00/000:10/059:50 Then ON

If Time 01:00 to 11:59 Then OFF

so apparently i forgot about 24 hour time in the off statement… 1pm is 13:00. oops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so apparently i forgot about 24 hour time in the off statement… 1pm is 13:00. oops

Now you knoooooooow!

1 hour ago, roni said:

You can use the oscillate function or make it easier and just use the spigot in Apex.  

Here's mine.  2 hour intervals

Screenshot_20211216-173413.thumb.png.71d91430146b1b226de59502749224ce.png

I didn’t know the feeder control profile would work with the Plank!? Can you control the length of the on cycle? Does drum rotations equate to amount of time on? I got the OSC figured out, but if i can get it to work with the feeder profile that seems even better

3 hours ago, jhOU said:

I didn’t know the feeder control profile would work with the Plank!? Can you control the length of the on cycle? Does drum rotations equate to amount of time on? I got the OSC figured out, but if i can get it to work with the feeder profile that seems even better

Yup, it appears to turn the drum one revolution each.  It may be a little more but it's enough to dose the amount of food I want.   I have the plank pump on another circuit offset 5 min to stir water and get into water.  

Certainly the oscillate will work as well and I can dig up the programming but I generally try to keep it as simple as possible.  Your tank looks ridiculously good!

welp, it appears the nutrient wobble pushed the strawberry shortcake over the edge. It’s always been the canary coral in my tank, losing color when it’s not happy. But this time it’s lost basically all color, no polyp extension, and beginning to rtn. All other corals look fine at the moment, but i’m keeping a close eye on everything. I don’t think the nutrient spike was the sole contributor, i suspect reduced flow and detritus settling within the colony may have been the bigger issue. Perhaps a bacterial imbalance from the added nutrients as well. I’ve cleaned my power heads and flow is definitely improved in that area. I’m super bummed, it’s one of my favorites. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0c0d79d97edeeb9e165057819568242f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2d552620d24ed8e9c36120485787d929.jpeg

Don’t lose hope. I’ve had a few colonies start to STN and then stop. Some I thought completely dead, regrow from even just a polyp!

The SSC I got from you was a decent size. Although it's not ready to be fragged (at least not for a decent-sized frag), I may be able to in a few months. I can gift you if you want to re-start from the same line.

34 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Also, what is that behind the SC? Is it the Walt Disney? 

yep, that’s the walt disney

2 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

The SSC I got from you was a decent size. Although it's not ready to be fragged (at least not for a decent-sized frag), I may be able to in a few months. I can gift you if you want to re-start from the same line.

Very generous, thank you. I have plenty of nice stuff to trade if i do lose it. But hopefully the death will stop before the entire colony is lost. It is a sense of relief knowing the same lineage is surviving around wamas!

Very generous, thank you. I have plenty of nice stuff to trade if i do lose it. But hopefully the death will stop before the entire colony is lost. It is a sense of relief knowing the same lineage is surviving around wamas!

I just grabbed a chunky frag from you as well, csb also help in this department, the sizes were more than generous!

I'll echo the others.  I have some in case things go south.  I always triple check salinity when things go south as that's been my issue a couple times.  That same SSC has had moments where it looks like trash but has come back strong

37 minutes ago, roni said:

I'll echo the others.  I have some in case things go south.  I always triple check salinity when things go south as that's been my issue a couple times.  That same SSC has had moments where it looks like trash but has come back strong

salinity certainly may be a contributing factor, it’s constantly creeping up due to how much 2 part i dose. I’m at 1.027 currently (but that’s fairly consistent)

On 12/21/2021 at 7:48 PM, jhOU said:

salinity certainly may be a contributing factor, it’s constantly creeping up due to how much 2 part i dose. I’m at 1.027 currently (but that’s fairly consistent)

Yeah, I think consistency is probably more important then absolute value.  As I stocked up on frags, I realized how different everyone's salinity was.  I measure with 3 different methods and had people with salinity ranging from 1.025 to 1.028.  

One thought with your large colonies and something a couple of people have mentioned with mature tanks is that water motion gets pretty choked off as colonies get bigger.  I have a wavebox in my 270, which I love...though my wife doesn't love the noise so I'm having to decrease the amount of time it's on.  It provides an upwelling of flow which really does a good job on the undersurface of the rock and corals, imo.   I know that in my 100 as things grew I upped the number of mp40s from 3 to 5 at the end.  Just something to consider, though maybe not the issue for you.

The shortcake colony is gone. I have 2 frags of it that still have tissue, but they look like garbage. With a large colony now missing, alkalinity demand has plummeted. Really have to appreciate the trident for events like this. Trident controlled dosing is doing its thing and reduced dosing, preventing more issues for the rest of the tank. All other corals are still looking good.

image.thumb.jpeg.cb70c8576a62b21f83adbcb5468ccd79.jpeg