Blue Sun Coral Spawning!

ReefdUp

I woke up this morning and went to feed my sun corals... and found this!!

20201212_090903.thumb.jpg.cdc4efa44cb8c170e4550a9cffce8d49.jpg

20201212_090959.thumb.jpg.49785dc9579bcd4072874c33613955b4.jpg

One immediately settled on the glass, so as long as nothing knocks it free, I'll be watching it!  I don't have any real hopes (my tanks are a bit sad-looking now thanks to covid completely upsetting life as we knew it - notice the aiptasia... beghias are working to fix that.)

If you haven't seen blue sun corals, here's what my colony looks like:

20200820_055245.thumb.jpg.dae22a71e7a975534a038dc532542617.jpg

That’s awesome. Do they carry zygotes for a few months like rock nems and that is what we are seeing here? Or are those eggs?

I’ve never seen or heard of blue sun coral. Stunning. Please let me know if you decide to frag.

26 minutes ago, elbowdeep88 said:

That’s awesome. Do they carry zygotes for a few months like rock nems and that is what we are seeing here? Or are those eggs?

I’ve never seen or heard of blue sun coral. Stunning. Please let me know if you decide to frag.

I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about sun coral sexual reproduction. :blush:

I found a few threads and research papers on it, but they seemed to conflict (seems like consensus was that they're brooders, but some sources said if what's released looks like mine, they're duds.) If I wasn't studying for school I'd be studying more on this!

As for fragging, I won't be doing that for a while. These are new to the hobby, and a lot of people (including me) initially thought they were dyed. I want to make sure these corals are stable, as they do seem to differ from regular sun corals.

For instance, they do seem to be light-dependent. The highest lit areas maintain the insane blue, but the shaded areas are more yellowish-green (tilted it below to show the shaded areas).

20201213_062514.thumb.jpg.891186672f4bc6ce5000ae39aa425667.jpg

I thought they were all dyed....how long have you had them?..let us know if they are real as that would be a killer color morph if they are natural......

Darren

3 hours ago, lowsingle said:

I thought they were all dyed....how long have you had them?..let us know if they are real as that would be a killer color morph if they are natural......

Darren

I thought they were dyed too (and so did the person I got them from.)  But, I've had them since July, and the tops are just as vibrant blue as day 1. I have no reason to believe they're dyed now.

19 hours ago, ReefdUp said:

I thought they were dyed too (and so did the person I got them from.)  But, I've had them since July, and the tops are just as vibrant blue as day 1. I have no reason to believe they're dyed now.

Nice to hear!  Now I need a frag =)

• 8 months later...

Hello all!

I just wanted to report that these are still as blue as the day I received them, over a year later.  Thanks to our awesome WAMAS leadership team and their great speaker choice, I was introduced to Matt Wandell of the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  As soon as the weather cools, I'll be sending out half of the colony to go on display in their NPS tank!!  

I'm writing up all of my experience with these on my blog to help document everything I've learned over the past year with them, to hopefully help others (and will share here as well).  

Part of the reason I'm giving half the colony to the MB Aquarium is that I'm just not set up to care for a NPS long term. It has survived but not thrived. I've only seen the one spawning event, and those appeared to be duds. 

Let's keep our fingers crossed though!

That's super cool. Sounds like you might get to name some NPS after you!

23 hours ago, ReefdUp said:

Hello all!

I just wanted to report that these are still as blue as the day I received them, over a year later.  Thanks to our awesome WAMAS leadership team and their great speaker choice, I was introduced to Matt Wandell of the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  As soon as the weather cools, I'll be sending out half of the colony to go on display in their NPS tank!!  

I'm writing up all of my experience with these on my blog to help document everything I've learned over the past year with them, to hopefully help others (and will share here as well).  

awesome work and kudos for spreading the love to other hobbyists and aquariums!

Darren

• 2 months later...

Update time! I just donated the coral to Monterey Bay Aquarium so everyone can enjoy it (and so it can receive full-time proper care.)

On Monday, I flew to Monterey, CA. Needless to say, carrying-on a coral on a two-leg trip (on American Airlines, no less, with all their flight cancelations this weekend) was a bit stressful... not sure if it was more stressful to me or the coral!

But we both arrived on time. Stressed, but still healthy. Once the coral goes through quarantine, it'll be going on display in Monterey Bay Aquarium's Tubastraea display.

20211101_134543.jpg