Stand Height

YHSublime

Hey WAMAS!

I'm going to get a stand built for a future tank, and I've been thinking a lot on the height. 

The tank itself is 5'x3'x18", currently my 12" tall nano sits on a 34" high stand. This is great, because it creates a top down view and is really easy to work with. I'm temped to also do a short stand on this new build, but feel that the size may look a bit funny being so low, especially with more lights hanging that will be needed to cover the much larger space. What does everybody think?

Unless your goal really is a lookdown tank, shorter stands don't do tanks justice when it comes to viewing. I built my stand at 32 inches tall, which, for my arm reach and 5'3.5" height, is perfect for the 75g tank which is 18" tall. When I sitting relaxing and look at the tank, which is how I usually see it, the front display view is at perfect height. IMO you are at least 5'5", you should stick with something in the 34" range, unless of course your primary desired view is from standing up looking down rather than while relaxing.

My stand is 36" high and the inside height is 32"

I love this because i have lots of space inside the tank for a tall skimmer and space for other things.

I also chose this height so when i am sitting the tank in eye level. I do not have a look down option, but that was not my goal. I wanted to sit and stand and have a comfortable viewing angle.

Unless your goal really is a lookdown tank, shorter stands don't do tanks justice when it comes to viewing. I built my stand at 32 inches tall, which, for my arm reach and 5'3.5" height, is perfect for the 75g tank which is 18" tall. When I sitting relaxing and look at the tank, which is how I usually see it, the front display view is at perfect height. IMO you are at least 5'5", you should stick with something in the 34" range, unless of course your primary desired view is from standing up looking down rather than while relaxing.

When I say short, I mean 34” again! I was thinking 40” for the bigger tank, but I’m taller at 6’2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, menglish said:

My stand is 36" high and the inside height is 32"

I love this because i have lots of space inside the tank for a tall skimmer and space for other things.

I also chose this height so when i am sitting the tank in eye level. I do not have a look down option, but that was not my goal. I wanted to sit and stand and have a comfortable viewing angle.

Yeah, I guess to clarify, I was saying a short stand would be 34", that's currently what I have, and it feels very much like a look down. It's also perfect if I'm sitting on the couch, but again, I'm tall. I was thinking about taking it up to 38-40", but wondering if that would be too tall!?

It would almost be a wall. Might be nice behind a bar at that height.

I hear you.

you are a tall guy.

I like looking at it head on since that would be the way i would be looking at it most of the time.  Yeah, with a taller stand you dont get the look down option, but i am cool with that.

Haha I just had to pull out my measuring tape to better visualize this.  A 40” stand with 18” aquarium would produce a similar effect as my 31” stand with 24” tank does to me (as I’m 5’6”).  From a distance and while sitting, the viewable panes will be at the perfect height.  Standing maybe a foot or two away you’ll still be able to see through the glass panes but at an angle so you’ll see the tank again from a nice perspective (this is how I usually view mine).  If you approach the tank you will still be able to look down and get some nice top-down views.  At that height you definitely wouldn’t have to worry about equipment or plumbing constraints either.

Theres a Home Depot in Hyattsville so just grab some 2x2s or some pvc and mock up your plans.  It always looks different when there is something tangible vs looking at it on paper or in your head (or at least it does with me).

My tank is 72x30x22 and it’s sitting on a 40” tall stand. Which I think is perfect :)  

it also makes the tank taller than it actually is and for you at 6’2” you wouldn’t have to stand on a chair like I do to reach the back. Hahaha. 

I like shorter stands so you can look down in your coral (top view is the prettiest especially for SPS). My old 150 deep dimension tank stand was only 24 inches high!  I ran my sump in the basement with the display in my living room.  I had a great view while sitting on my couch.

Darren

On 12/29/2019 at 9:45 AM, epleeds said:

My tank is 72x30x22 and it’s sitting on a 40” tall stand. Which I think is perfect :)  

it also makes the tank taller than it actually is and for you at 6’2” you wouldn’t have to stand on a chair like I do to reach the back. Hahaha. 

This is what I'm thinking as well! 

My tank is a standard 180 and we purposely built the stand tall for viewing. It’s around 45” tall if I remember. I am 5’11 and the top of the tank is about eye level.

It’s an absolute pain to work in, I have to use a step stool and sometimes a 6 foot ladder. However the display is absolutely worth it. It’s in our great room and viewable from basically the whole house. So the trade off is worth it IMO.e76f809b7d811c5ae209c766f7930352.jpg

It would almost be a wall. Might be nice behind a bar at that height.

I don’t like the idea of enclosing it, I would like it to be part of the space!

Haha I just had to pull out my measuring tape to better visualize this.  A 40” stand with 18” aquarium would produce a similar effect as my 31” stand with 24” tank does to me (as I’m 5’6”).  From a distance and while sitting, the viewable panes will be at the perfect height.  Standing maybe a foot or two away you’ll still be able to see through the glass panes but at an angle so you’ll see the tank again from a nice perspective (this is how I usually view mine).  If you approach the tank you will still be able to look down and get some nice top-down views.  At that height you definitely wouldn’t have to worry about equipment or plumbing constraints either.

Theres a Home Depot in Hyattsville so just grab some 2x2s or some pvc and mock up your plans.  It always looks different when there is something tangible vs looking at it on paper or in your head (or at least it does with me).

We’re on the same page, I think 40” is a winner.

I like shorter stands so you can look down in your coral (top view is the prettiest especially for SPS). My old 150 deep dimension tank stand was only 24 inches high!  I ran my sump in the basement with the display in my living room.  I had a great view while sitting on my couch.

Darren

It will still be a look down for me though!

My tank is a standard 180 and we purposely built the stand tall for viewing. It’s around 45” tall if I remember. I am 5’11 and the top of the tank is about eye level.

It’s an absolute pain to work in, I have to use a step stool and sometimes a 6 foot ladder. However the display is absolutely worth it. It’s in our great room and viewable from basically the whole house. So the trade off is worth it IMO.e76f809b7d811c5ae209c766f7930352.jpg

I think the winner is 40”. My ceiling in the basement is actually a bit low, so I don’t want to go much taller than 40”.

My 180g stand was 40 inches and I thought it was great.  I'm 6'3" and couldn't reach the bottom standing next to it, though, so you'll need a step ladder.

The real question for me is what lights you're going to use!  Hope you didn't spend all your money on that new house if you're going to have to go out and buy 8 Radions now.

I've always wanted to do a truly epic DIY LED build.  Maybe we should talk. 8)

My 180g stand was 40 inches and I thought it was great.  I'm 6'3" and couldn't reach the bottom standing next to it, though, so you'll need a step ladder.

The real question for me is what lights you're going to use!  Hope you didn't spend all your money on that new house if you're going to have to go out and buy 8 Radions now.

I've always wanted to do a truly epic DIY LED build.  Maybe we should talk. 8)

But your tank was taller, right? I’m Ok with a stepladder, keeps me out of the tank!

8 radions isn’t really my speed, I’ve decided to take some tine to travel this year, and that money could be better spent.

I’m game to talk out the most epic of LED builds ever. This light you built that I’m currently using is primo, a real powerhouse.

True. Mine was 24 inches.

I'd use the Steve's LEDs HD heatsinks in 60 inch lengths and attach them to reef brite end brackets. Then I'd put Phillips leds on them for the royal blue at least.