550 Gallon 120x36x30 In-Wall w/ Side Views + Fish Room

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to hear about all of the trouble with the overflow! I can only imagine how frustrating that was/is to deal with.  Hopefully it gets resolved soon and you can move forward.

I had similar issues with my plumbing.  The tiniest little droplets of water.... I did layers of glue on the outside around the seams.  On one, I used gorilla tape wrapped around the edge as well, and then a layer of glue over that.  I haven't had an issue in five months.  Now I do have a leak detector under there because I'm paranoid.  But I haven't had any issues.

Still loving this build!  I can't wait to see it in person!

I know I have never sold to you before but I like to help people out and I will hook you up with some sps on me. Just let me know. Fish room looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Dmb0921 said:

I know I have never sold to you before but I like to help people out and I will hook you up with some sps on me. Just let me know. Fish room looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that is unbelievable -- thank you so very much!  Losing all my SPS has been heartbreaking, but the kindness of the WAMAS community keeps the hope alive!

35 minutes ago, Origami said:

You're fish room looks like some labs I've been in. Nice work. Congrats!

Ha, thanks Tom! The rest of it is kind of a mess right now; I'm selective with my photos :)  

Hopefully I can get the big tank wet soon, and then have a WAMAS meetup. I'm not sure if we do that sort of thing, but I'd love to show off the setup to the group to brainstorm ideas on how to make it better!

A meet up would be cool. I'm sure that many of us would love to see the finished work and talk shop.

Hope you get everything sorted out soon. Sorry to hear of the losses in the interim. Fish room is looking great! Hope mine eventually looks that good!

My custom 260 should be delivered end of next month. I'm planning for getting it put in place, so since you recently did this with a bigger tank, I have a few questions:

-How much did your tank weight?

-How many people did it take to get it into place?

To get my tank into the house, I have to go around back and up a few stairs onto the deck to get to the back door. I'm debating renting a bunch of equipment to help those of us who will be doing the lift, or just hiring someone to do it....

On 2/1/2020 at 7:59 PM, cpeguero said:

Hope you get everything sorted out soon. Sorry to hear of the losses in the interim. Fish room is looking great! Hope mine eventually looks that good!

My custom 260 should be delivered end of next month. I'm planning for getting it put in place, so since you recently did this with a bigger tank, I have a few questions:

-How much did your tank weight?

-How many people did it take to get it into place?

To get my tank into the house, I have to go around back and up a few stairs onto the deck to get to the back door. I'm debating renting a bunch of equipment to help those of us who will be doing the lift, or just hiring someone to do it....

Thanks for stopping by my thread!

The tank weighed right around 1000 pounds if I remember correctly -- maybe 1100. Definitely not something you would be moving without a crew. 8 of us with large suction cups were struggling, but we were able to move it around. 10 would have been safe, 11-12 would have been comfortable. You need suction cups. Reread that last sentence a few times. 

If you can find 8 other guys, rent suction cups from the club and call it a day.  

• 2 months later...

Hey! I have been slowly plumbing everything, and just got my second return line finished. It has a big 120W UV sterilizer on it so that will be one of my disease and algae prevention methods. I'll try to snap some pics later. 

It seems ever so trendy to post "control board" photos with lots of Neptune gear -- which seems silly since those things never really move. I'd love to see Medication / Fragging / Testing stations more often!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

COVID and a new baby have slowed down progress, but things are still progressing. I've had water in the tank since March and things are finally stable. Some of my woes were just from new tank syndrome and getting a massive amount of bacterial filtration instituted. As we always say, nothing good ever happens quickly in reef tanks. 

My goal for 2021 is to take a more active approach to updates, so I made a quick Fish Lab video with some full tank shots as well. It's still has a ways to go, and my 4-month old takes all my time when I'm not at work!

Here is a quick video of the behind the scenes:

Edited by Blue Tang Clan

To nudge myself toward creating new video content, I'm going to try to add some more subscribers to my YouTube channel. At 11:59pm on December 30th, I will be giving away eleven $10 gift cards to Bulk Reef Supply. Anyone who subscribes to my YouTube channel is eligible and I will notify those usernames (chosen at random) so they can place an order on the 31st. 

Subscribe for a chance to win!

IMG_3836.JPG

IMG_3835.JPG